Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone has heard of poker and horse racing and sports gambling, but how about boat racing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Dtei#:~:text=2%20Competitors-,Ky%C5%8Dtei%20races,start%20system%20of%20beginning%20races.

It comes with this complicated betting card that I haphazardly filled out before losing all my money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD15wyHDtYg (Actual race starts at ~1:40 or so)
Just watching the race was fun, but it also seems like the kind of thing you could do with your friends if they rented out the boats and the space, which would be even more fun.

Japan is what I'm most familiar with, so we'll stick with that and talk about fake horse racing:

For whatever reason, you can gamble on fake digital horses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starhorse
I don't know if there are other machines other than the Starhorse line, but this is one I found a name for.
I thought it was silly, but I guess it's just as rigged as any other digital gaming thing.

And then, of course, you have pachinko:

A lot of old anime live on in pachinko form.

(It's hugely famous [in Japan], so maybe it doesn't belong in this thread, but hey, maybe someone on SA hasn't heard of it before.)
You get a tray of balls and feed them into the machine:

There's also a card involved. I don't remember all the details. But basically the balls are both the game tokens and the prizes, IIRC.
In the end, you go and redeem the balls for actual prizes.
You then go next door to a very convenient store that buys prizes from you!
No anti-gambling laws broken.
I, myself, spent $10 to win a a few sticks of gum and a plastic ring or something.
Pachinko is also notable for resulting in the worst part of Super Mario Sunshine.

I haven't even touched on majong or karuta - Japan loves gambling. It's too much to cover in one post.

But what other fun and exciting lesser-known ways to gamble exist out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You cannot bring up Starhorse without including the poster

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I was a kid my stepdad had an old pachinko machine from the early 1970s. There is a skill to playing it, similar to pinball... you have a little bit of control over the handle/launcher thing so if you practice you can get better at launching the ball into the region with the best widgets and biggest prizes (more balls). I think that thing is still in the family somewhere, probably my sister has it.

Also a pachinko ball makes a tremendous racket when you suck it out of the carpet with a hoover! Haha.

It looked quite similar to this one:

When you get the ball right into the dead center thing it'd flip over and drop it into a hole and then the jackpot would play out and that would be a bunch of balls flowing from the top rear hopper into the front tray, and they'd all hit an actual physical metal bell on the way down so you'd get this lovely ringing noise as it barfs balls out the bottom. Also note the integral ashtray.

All the other little open/close things would open or close when you got a ball in, e.g. if they started out open you could get one in easier but then it'd close and be harder to get a ball into: but if you hit the middle one it'd open all the other ones, so that was an extra benefit to getting the jackpot.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 7, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it remains absolutely wild to me that Evangelion has made twice as much money off the pachinko machine license as every other piece of merch, dvd, ticket sales, broadcast rights etc combined

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

it remains absolutely wild to me that Evangelion has made twice as much money off the pachinko machine license as every other piece of merch, dvd, ticket sales, broadcast rights etc combined

I'm not surprised at all. They are absolutely ubiquitous in pachinko parlors. I saw ads featuring the cast allllll the time on the street or in window. I almost considered mentioning Evangelion when I first brought up pachinko, haha.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does japan still do AUTO RACE or whatever that weird handicapped motorcycle racing thing is?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
There's a dice game that's similar to craps that you can also play on the streets called "cee lo" or sometimes "456". It's fun, I like it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shadow0 posted:

Everyone has heard of poker and horse racing and sports gambling, but how about boat racing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Dtei#:~:text=2%20Competitors-,Ky%C5%8Dtei%20races,start%20system%20of%20beginning%20races.

It comes with this complicated betting card that I haphazardly filled out before losing all my money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD15wyHDtYg (Actual race starts at ~1:40 or so)
Just watching the race was fun, but it also seems like the kind of thing you could do with your friends if they rented out the boats and the space, which would be even more fun.

Japan is what I'm most familiar with, so we'll stick with that and talk about fake horse racing:

For whatever reason, you can gamble on fake digital horses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starhorse
I don't know if there are other machines other than the Starhorse line, but this is one I found a name for.
I thought it was silly, but I guess it's just as rigged as any other digital gaming thing.

And then, of course, you have pachinko:

A lot of old anime live on in pachinko form.

(It's hugely famous [in Japan], so maybe it doesn't belong in this thread, but hey, maybe someone on SA hasn't heard of it before.)
You get a tray of balls and feed them into the machine:

There's also a card involved. I don't remember all the details. But basically the balls are both the game tokens and the prizes, IIRC.
In the end, you go and redeem the balls for actual prizes.
You then go next door to a very convenient store that buys prizes from you!
No anti-gambling laws broken.
I, myself, spent $10 to win a a few sticks of gum and a plastic ring or something.
Pachinko is also notable for resulting in the worst part of Super Mario Sunshine.

I haven't even touched on majong or karuta - Japan loves gambling. It's too much to cover in one post.

But what other fun and exciting lesser-known ways to gamble exist out there?

You left out the best one. Keirin aka bike racing on fixed wheel bikes. I went to one the last time i was in Japan and figured out how to bed a bunch of exacta boxes and stuff. Also lost all my money I bet. It was great.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lote posted:

You left out the best one. Keirin aka bike racing on fixed wheel bikes. I went to one the last time i was in Japan and figured out how to bed a bunch of exacta boxes and stuff. Also lost all my money I bet. It was great.

I feel like one of these guys is cheating... :thunk:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah! That rider in second place is getting an unfair advantage from the huge draft! What a jerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0feyWyh0DtY

No need to understand Japanese.

The main thing I understood was "Grand Prix desu"