Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ehud posted:

He will probably ultimately be fine with recruiting, but it's hilarious that a guy hailed as a centerpiece of their 2023 class just flipped to Florida.

Oh for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

He’s going to lose more than 44bn over this if it all collapses.

It’s more than that if you look at how much his antics have devalued Tesla stock from his large sales and the stock splits. All in he has burned off close to $100 billion dollars on the Twitter deal between stocks and pure cash. Imagine lighting $100 billion on fire because you got your feelings hurt and it still makes no impact on how lavishly you can live your day to day life. It’s disgusting.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

It’s more than that if you look at how much his antics have devalued Tesla stock from his large sales and the stock splits. All in he has burned off close to $100 billion dollars on the Twitter deal between stocks and pure cash. Imagine lighting $100 billion on fire because you got your feelings hurt and it still makes no impact on how lavishly you can live your day to day life. It’s disgusting.

Opening Arguments did some calculations on stock devaluation and it was already >100bn in “value” loss (I think we know these were all vastly overvalued anyhow).

Still funny as hell.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I think the basic use for most people is about the same right now because no one cares about trolling middle aged sports fans like this

https://twitter.com/alanisnking/sta...ingawful.com%2F

But ultimately he’s going to remake it try and aggressively monetize it and there are discussions of making paid twitter the only poo poo that shows up on feed which is going to drastically shrink casual user base I think.

He’s also basically destroyed all trust with advertisers so he has a lot of rebuilding to do and I think of all people Musk has the business savvy to make that ha…..lol sorry couldn’t even make it all the way through that, twitter advertising is probably dead.

I pay $0.99 a month for tweetbot which eliminates all the ads, puts my timeline in chronological order, and doesn't show me any poo poo from people I don't follow. I don't know if twitter gets any of that money (I hope not) but that's the cap on what I'm willing to pay not to have to deal with the horrible default twitter interface, which currently is showing me 16 hour old tweets from people I follow, then tweets from people who I don't follow, then random 16 hour old tweets under headers that just say "basketball, business personalities, and donuts." If I scroll 3/4 of the way down the page there are six total tweets from accounts I follow, all of which are 16 hours old.

I assume that if I had to migrate to the new $8 a month plan it would just be all that plus nazis.

College football content: you want to make money on twitter? Charge $8 a month to block Clay Travis.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

downout posted:

Whatever allows finding and sharing media content across other websites so easily.

i just want my super easy to find/share sports clips of 5 seconds-1 minute. twitter was great for that, i didnt even have an account

a ton of games i'd just listen to play by play or even check forums and then search twitter for whatever people were shouting about being exciting , you get the 5 highlights of 3 hours very easily that way

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Twitter has never come close to figuring out how to be profitable, and they certainly won't now that advertisers fear Pockmark McTroll throwing down $8 to say as CEO of the company he spits in every fifth box.

The immediate change if you just use it for in-game updates and cat pics or whatever isn't that big, I guess. You may get hoodwinked by OfficialKurkHerbstreit tweeting that Dabo mutilated an infant pregame, but that's kinda how sports Twitter was around 2012 or so, navigate through trolls and all. But long-term, you'll see a huge change because....the company will shut down. It was probably headed that direction anyway but Elon's speedrunning it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

D.N. Nation posted:

Twitter has never come close to figuring out how to be profitable, and they certainly won't now that advertisers fear Pockmark McTroll throwing down $8 to say as CEO of the company he spits in every fifth box.

The immediate change if you just use it for in-game updates and cat pics or whatever isn't that big, I guess. You may get hoodwinked by OfficialKurkHerbstreit tweeting that Dabo mutilated an infant pregame, but that's kinda how sports Twitter was around 2012 or so, navigate through trolls and all. But long-term, you'll see a huge change because....the company will shut down. It was probably headed that direction anyway but Elon's speedrunning it.

The very public fall from the top of the social media hill by twitter and facebook are indeed a good follow. I think twitter, as it was, would have limped along for another decade and gotten the chance to do a slow fade like something awful. Under Musk, it might actually blow itself up a la MySpace under Murdoch, which will be wonderful to watch.

Who would have guessed a decade ago that of the major social media & internet culture sites, Reddit would be the site with the most momentum in 2022?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The funniest thing is that Musk is so addicted to the idea of his own genius, that he couldn’t just walk in the door and watch how it works for awhile and just let inertia carry it while he worked on real solutions. He had to immediately walk in with a suicide vest and blow it up in week 1 because He Knows Everything. Just pure narcissism.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I pay $0.99 a month for tweetbot which eliminates all the ads, puts my timeline in chronological order, and doesn't show me any poo poo from people I don't follow. I don't know if twitter gets any of that money (I hope not) but that's the cap on what I'm willing to pay not to have to deal with the horrible default twitter interface, which currently is showing me 16 hour old tweets from people I follow, then tweets from people who I don't follow, then random 16 hour old tweets under headers that just say "basketball, business personalities, and donuts." If I scroll 3/4 of the way down the page there are six total tweets from accounts I follow, all of which are 16 hours old.

I assume that if I had to migrate to the new $8 a month plan it would just be all that plus nazis.

College football content: you want to make money on twitter? Charge $8 a month to block Clay Travis.

Sorry to keep the twitter convo going - but doesn't the twitter app (on phone) and tweetdeck (in browser) do this for free? I have various lists in twitter of accounts that I want to see all of their posts(for instance, a bunch of sportswriters), I add the groups as "pinned lists" in the phone app, or columns in tweetdeck , and then I look at those lists. The lists show all of the tweets from those groups of users in time of post order, with no advertisements as far as I've seen.

I never even use my feed. I can't remember the last time I "followed" someone - I just add them to my lists.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I think the basic use for most people is about the same right now because no one cares about trolling middle aged sports fans like this

https://twitter.com/alanisnking/sta...ingawful.com%2F

But ultimately he’s going to remake it try and aggressively monetize it and there are discussions of making paid twitter the only poo poo that shows up on feed which is going to drastically shrink casual user base I think.

He’s also basically destroyed all trust with advertisers so he has a lot of rebuilding to do and I think of all people Musk has the business savvy to make that ha…..lol sorry couldn’t even make it all the way through that, twitter advertising is probably dead.

On the one hand this is all true on the other hand he seems to magically skate on things all the goddamn time so until he actually suffers consequences I wont be betting against him

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
this is not the thread I figured I’d be reading “inorganic promotion of left wing ideology” in but here we are

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

fast cars loose anus posted:

On the one hand this is all true on the other hand he seems to magically skate on things all the goddamn time so until he actually suffers consequences I wont be betting against him

Ah, the Trump Paradox.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waifu Radia posted:

this is not the thread I figured I’d be reading “inorganic promotion of left wing ideology” in but here we are

That’s just that posters gimmick don’t worry about it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

The funniest thing is that Musk is so addicted to the idea of his own genius, that he couldn’t just walk in the door and watch how it works for awhile and just let inertia carry it while he worked on real solutions. He had to immediately walk in with a suicide vest and blow it up in week 1 because He Knows Everything. Just pure narcissism.

Not sure it's that, might be. I think it's because he needed to make money and fast, so it was throw every idea out at once to generate more revenue, and cut staff to the bone to cut costs. Twitter has never made money, but he desperately needs it to make money quickly.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Not sure it's that, might be. I think it's because he needed to make money and fast, so it was throw every idea out at once to generate more revenue, and cut staff to the bone to cut costs. Twitter has never made money, but he desperately needs it to make money quickly.

Yeah but twitter has never made money and has always been massively overvalued and he massively overpaid for it. That was apparent to even every literal person who was not directly in the market for a multibillion dollar social media platform.

He only desperately needs to make money because he didn’t do his due diligence and massively overpaid for it. Because his entire existence is predicated on Never Being Wrong. Just look at all the “im not crying im laughing actually” puppet master poo poo he’s spewing all day long lol

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s just that posters gimmick don’t worry about it

Gimmick, opinion, call it what you will.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fast cars loose anus posted:

He’s suffering consequence right now in that he actually had to buy Twitter at the wildly inflated joke price that he proposed and then immediately tried to back out of and he’s losing significant amounts of money and influence as even the most checked out people realize that he’s an insane moron.

Will he die penniless in the gutter? No, once you’re that rich you’re never going to be poor, but his life is getting demonstrably worse based on his own dumbass decisions. That’s a consequence.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s even funnier that he could’ve paid 1bn to nullify the agreement but his ego won’t allow it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

It’s even funnier that he could’ve paid 1bn to nullify the agreement but his ego won’t allow it.

He could not have. That clause only came into action if there were specific issues with the debt package that never materialized. He went through with the deal because things were going poorly in court and he didn’t want to be deposed.

The contract was basically ironclad for Twitter because Musk waived due diligence and demanded that he be given something to sign immediately so Twitter basically just wrote the contract and he signed it either without or against any legal advice.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah he should've pulled that ripcord. Edit: ^^^ I guess not

Too bad A&M doesn't have one (other than the complete buyout):
https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1588978270049009670

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LLCoolJD posted:

Gimmick, opinion, call it what you will.

I mean it’s objectively untrue, even by twitters own metrics they leaned right even before Musks takeover

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s objectively untrue, even by twitters own metrics they leaned right even before Musks takeover

I don't want to derail with a back-and-forth but I respectfully disagree.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He could not have. That clause only came into action if there were specific issues with the debt package that never materialized. He went through with the deal because things were going poorly in court and he didn’t want to be deposed.

The contract was basically ironclad for Twitter because Musk waived due diligence and demanded that he be given something to sign immediately so Twitter basically just wrote the contract and he signed it either without or against any legal advice.

Oh poo poo I misunderstood. I thought the whole thing was a ripcord penalty for bouncing from the agreement but I guess that makes sense with all the theater about inaccurate bot counts. He was trying to create conditions where he could terminate the agreement with penalty and failed. Got it.

________

In non-twitter news, I’m dragging myself out of bed at 0430 to drive down to Gainesville with a gamecock buddy of mine for a dad weekend. First time down there in like 7 years, and I’m very psyched.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This freaking storm is going to make all of the fields mud pits around every rural stadium on the east coast.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This freaking storm is going to make all of the fields mud pits around every rural stadium on the east coast.

Nothings going to get me down on this. Haven’t had a kid-free dad weekend for a football trip since before my daughter was born. I’d stand in waist deep pluff mud to make it happen.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

LLCoolJD posted:

poo poo, you caught me. I refuse to engage further

anyway, the university of Michigan is going to win the Stanley Cup

I’m pretty pissed we literally don’t have any games we need to care about before the Game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Waifu Radia posted:

I’m pretty pissed we literally don’t have any games we need to care about before the Game.

Big Ten baybeeee

Also it’s almost certainly for a playoff berth and Ohio St has looked pretty vulnerable.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Michigan's non conference schedule was pretty embarrassing.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In the parking lots yes. But the multi million dollar turf management systems in the stadiums can handle that little bit of rain just fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Michigan's non conference schedule was pretty embarrassing.

Hey, this is the best UConn team in some time!

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

LLCoolJD posted:

I don't want to derail with a back-and-forth but I respectfully disagree.

You can disagree all you want, but every academic study, internal Twitter report, and neutral observation says the reverse is true.

In actual football stuff VT Duke doesn't appear to be on TV for me in Maryland. I'll have to watch it on ESPN+. Such an appropriate thing for the Hokies poo poo tastic year.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology

Wowzers. I mean you're right I guess, he'll probably let the nazis come back! drat leftists keeping them down, right brother?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drewhead posted:

In the parking lots yes. But the multi million dollar turf management systems in the stadiums can handle that little bit of rain just fine.

I mean you're right, but unfortunately I don't get to park on the multi million dollar turf.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I mean you're right, but unfortunately I don't get to park on the multi million dollar turf.

Sounds like quitter talk to me.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

LLCoolJD posted:

Yeah he should've pulled that ripcord. Edit: ^^^ I guess not

Too bad A&M doesn't have one (other than the complete buyout):
https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1588978270049009670

I appreciate USC having the second and third worst results on this graph.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Y’all I just wish for like 0.01% of what he paid for Twitter to just show up in my bank account. poo poo, he could pay Jimbos buyout and have about enough for a nice steak dinner after.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yep, nipples down I'm solid mud tomorrow

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

drewhead posted:

Yep, nipples down I'm solid mud tomorrow

'bout 5 elite user names in this phrase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nebraska is a volleyball school now, and good on 'em

https://twitter.com/Amie_Just/status/1591138172481990657