Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Wouldn't be MLS if they didn't find at least one way to shoot themselves in the dick every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's so stupid.

I'm guessing Apple said they wanted to have more playoff games, but maybe Garber decided to pull it out of his rear end all by himself.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Apple wants more playoff games + owners and maybe fans want at least one home playoff game if they make it + nobody wants to watch a Carl Robinson Play For A Home 0-0 special in a two legged series + nobody loving understands that group stage trial balloon from a couple of months ago = whatever this is

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

nobody wants to watch a Carl Robinson Play For A Home 0-0 special in a two legged series

Yep, I'm definitely a degenerate because I know exactly what series you're referring to. Not sure how Robinson was allowed to coach the next game, let alone most of the next season.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

just me, screaming into the void about the ever increasing playoff expansion in all U.S. sports turning the regular season into the preseason. MLS has enough trouble as it is trying to make games seem relevant or important and not just random soccer match. and going single game to 3 game to single game is a bizarre format

more than half the teams making the playoff (now that we're well beyond 20 teams) is and always will be dumb as hell

and yeah previous stories has made it pretty clear this is related to the Apple deal.

edit: oh christ i just parsed this part on the best of 3 series

quote:

If a match is tied at the end of regulation, no extra time will be played, teams will participate in kicks from the penalty spot to determine the winner.
that is very dumb and bad

Theres absolutely no reason a best of 3 series should be able to go to penalties multiple times, it should be a last resort to tie break at the end. And its going to encourage teams to play for a draw away

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 21, 2023

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Inter Miami got mad that the Athletic printed Neville’s words

https://twitter.com/mlsist/status/1628126413848035328?s=46&t=tVfHaE1Hsq7-v9oor6EHCQ

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

playoffs format is bad.

why would you go from more games to less games as the games get more important. why not 2-leg ties?

are we really supposed to humor the idea either the 9th or the 8th best team in an MLS conference deserves a lifesaver to get thrown onto a postseason boat.

if you want each qualified team to host a game, set up a group stage. #6 and #5 each get one home game, #4 and #3 each get two. group stage winner and runner-up face the #1 and #2 in knockouts.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/lizzy_becherano/status/1628422131200454662

San Diego and Las Vegas are favorites for #30, with Phoenix, Sacramento, Detroit, and Tampa also potential cities.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

...Detroit...also potential cities.

I have a couple of reasons to think this might be a hard sell.

(Have I ever mentioned how much I loathe SG culture?)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

(Have I ever mentioned how much I loathe SG culture?)

Not gonna lie I've pencilled in Saturday's Rose Bowl game to see what impact the Galaxy SG boycott has on the vibe

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

https://twitter.com/lizzy_becherano/status/1628422131200454662

San Diego and Las Vegas are favorites for #30, with Phoenix, Sacramento, Detroit, and Tampa also potential cities.

either seem fine for 30 and i think all of these cities will probably have mls teams by the end of the decade

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Peter Vermes intends to coach SKC until he dies, apparently.

He was also approached for the US job and declined to interview.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Not gonna lie I've pencilled in Saturday's Rose Bowl game to see what impact the Galaxy SG boycott has on the vibe

I wouldn’t count on the boycott having much impact on that game. Even if the supporters group members don’t show there will probably be thousands of more casual fans who show up to take their place.

I would say the first Galaxy home game at Dignity Health is where you’ll notice it. They haven’t shown up at all to any of the pre season games and the game that was streamed on Season Pass this Saturday sounded like it was taking place in a library.

Edit: The collapse of the Galaxy ever since Arena departed his position as manager and GM is pretty wild. The boycott looks to finally be getting some national media attention. It is legitimately crazy to me that AEG is okay with keeping in charge the guy who has spent millions and millions of dollars building rosters that make no sense and have only made the playoffs twice since 2016 AND got caught cheating while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSkdSBJS1l8

From the outside looking in my read is that AEG is exercising little to no oversight on the Galaxy, to them Galaxy are a line item on a spreadsheet somewhere. They seem perfectly fine with Klein and his buddies camping out in the front office, doing a terrible job, all while cutting themselves fat pay checks.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 23, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Peter Vermes intends to coach SKC until he dies, apparently.

He was also approached for the US job and declined to interview.
Vermes is from New Jersey so he probably realized that if he took the job it would only be a matter of time before a drama hydrogen bomb went off.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://theathletic.com/4245864/2023/02/23/mls-cup-leagues-cup-playoff-format-survey-predictions/ the annual mls exec survey is out, which i always find to have some interesting nuggets. A couple that jumped out..

- Philly regarded as the favorite by a good amount
- andre blake is regarded as the best GK in MLS by almost everyone surveyed
- blank (ATL) regarded as the best owner, kroenke (CO) the worst
- the majority of MLS exec believe Miami is going to sign Messi (which I'd think there is some level of insight on and not pure speculation...the rest of this doesn't read like wishcasting)

Re: the Apple deal, mostly positive, but also this

quote:

Has your budget been affected by the Apple deal? Do you think Apple will push MLS to spend more on players?
This was unanimously a hard no. The Apple TV has not had any sort of trickle down effect on the sporting side of clubs. If anything, some teams that were making money on local TV deals may be worse off in terms of media revenue.

“If we tell better stories and fans can engage with us and subscriptions increase there can be exponential growth in the league,” one exec said. “And then that cycles back to improve product quality and our rosters which then leads to us improving as a league overall.”

Multiple GMs pointed out that MLS may have to change how they think about storytelling. It can’t be about giving every team shine. The league has to start finding the best stories in the league and showcasing them through Apple. One exec pointed to documentaries like “Welcome to Wrexham” and “Drive to Survive” as examples of that storytelling. Others said it comes down to highlighting the best teams and games.

And it seems like this theme came up a bit

quote:

Another spoke about something generally more in the wheelhouse of media members: narrative. This particular executive thinks that MLS hasn’t centered enough of its storytelling power on the biggest and best teams, instead focusing on a broader approach that fits in with the league’s emphasis on parity. That, the executive said, is holding MLS back. If the emphasis shifts, the league might shift its rules with it.

“We do have a narrative around parity that’s formed over years — it’s been marketed,” the executive said. “That narrative shouldn’t cloud the storytelling of the elite teams. We have really bad teams every year and we have really good teams every year, and, for me, we need to focus more on the really good teams. If you talk about English football right now, who do you talk about? Arsenal. Not (Nottingham) Forest. We need to do a better job of talking about our best products, not all of our products. Fans and their perception drive the reality of our product. If more fans were focused on their club becoming an elite competitor as opposed to an equal contributor, then I think things might change. I think sometimes we set the bar too low. Is it good enough to just make the playoffs? That’s a question fans should ask. It’ll be different answers for different clubs, but everyone should shoot higher.”

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 23, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

KC-Portland delayed to Monday due to severe winter weather, which seems like a "well duh, it's the end of February in Kansas" but the game is in Portland.

An omen?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

It's less an omen for the league, more just a sign of how crazy it is right now.

I type on a 70 degree February day here in Maryland.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I choose to believe St Louis getting tornado warnings year-round is a good omen for the new team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Folks, it's just about time for the 2023 season.