Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

So, aliens right? Like Xenomorphs, from the Ridley Scott franchise. They have a queen, which lays a bunch of eggs. Then the thing that hatches from an egg is sort of an in-between development step, like a caterpillar or something. That thing then inserts the next development stage into an appropriate host via some orifice (the mouth, in the case of humans, but this doesn't preclude other orifices, if it had turned out differently they might have been called rear end-huggers, but I digress). That creature, called the Xenomorph, breaks free of the host body and skittles off, rapidly growing to human size or larger over the course of several hours. One of those creatures might be another queen, and so the cycle continues.
But, what fertilizes the eggs for the queen?
Or are they a purely parthenogenetic species?

Think of the thing the facehugger implants in the prey as the egg, fertilized by the prey. The queen lays unfertilized eggs along with an organ which goes and and forcibly fertilises the egg.

(Really, the hosed up lifecycle they've ended up with at this point is so different that traditional concepts of egg and fertilisation probably don't apply. Remember they're bioengineered weapons, not natural creatures)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
You want alien no I mean REALLY alien lifeforms, try for example Greg Egan's "Wang's Carpets". TLDR: extremely simple effectively monocellular but macroscale lifeforms cover much of a planet; but as an emergent side effect of their biology they simulate a virtual 16-dimensional space which in turn is inhabited by a whole complex ecology including sapient species.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OK so I think I get it. The queen lays "eggs" that hatch and intermidiate vector creature, which deposits a new "egg" into the host. That "egg" combines with the genetics of the host (this is my understanding of kind of how it works from the last two movies, as far as is possible, and Alien: Resurrection) to create a Xenomorph that is engineered to eradicate all of the host species. The queen is just a bridgehead that uses a parthenogenic "egg laying" analog to spread the infection of Xenomorphs.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

CaptainCrunch posted:

A Surface of Fine Azure-Tinted Reflection With Pyroxin Dendritic Inclusions and its compatriots on the planet of Prism in Alan Dean Foster's "Sentenced to Prism."

Highly specialized, silicon based, organisms who help the fleshy human protagonist survive in the incredibly hostile planetary environment. One of them, a "surgeon," takes a look at human anatomy and says something like "oh, no. This is all wrong." And proceed to revamp the protag's guts to include a metabolic energy storage organ, replace the lenses in his eyes with (internally fabricated by the surgeon) replacements that will help him perceive the fractal geometry of the local flora/fauna, and discover an unused and nearly atrophied "universal" communication socket in the human brain.
This was very good thanks for suggesting, are their other books decent?

I've already read at least half of the series mentioned here but I'm open to more suggestions!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

This was very good thanks for suggesting, are their other books decent?

I've already read at least half of the series mentioned here but I'm open to more suggestions!
Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books are all pretty good in that 70's-80's Sci-Fi vibe that "Prism" has. I don't recall much weird sex stuff, but then I've not read them in a couple decades. Most of the books follow or involve Pip and Flynx. Flynx is a (IIRC) semi-telepathic kid with a flying snake companion, Pip. He's a street kid, but it's the streets of multiple worlds as his shenanigans take him across the galaxy. They start with "The Tar-Aiym Krang." Or you can start with "Nor Crystal Tears" which is a first contact story from the perspective of an insectoid "Thranx"who is following up on reports of encounters with a horrid, soft, two-legged beast.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

You want alien no I mean REALLY alien lifeforms, try for example Greg Egan's "Wang's Carpets". TLDR: extremely simple effectively monocellular but macroscale lifeforms cover much of a planet; but as an emergent side effect of their biology they simulate a virtual 16-dimensional space which in turn is inhabited by a whole complex ecology including sapient species.

I can't even think how to explain the creatures in Schild's Ladder but they sure were cool

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Finger Prince posted:

So, aliens right? Like Xenomorphs, from the Ridley Scott franchise. They have a queen, which lays a bunch of eggs. Then the thing that hatches from an egg is sort of an in-between development step, like a caterpillar or something. That thing then inserts the next development stage into an appropriate host via some orifice (the mouth, in the case of humans, but this doesn't preclude other orifices, if it had turned out differently they might have been called rear end-huggers, but I digress). That creature, called the Xenomorph, breaks free of the host body and skittles off, rapidly growing to human size or larger over the course of several hours. One of those creatures might be another queen, and so the cycle continues.
But, what fertilizes the eggs for the queen?
Or are they a purely parthenogenetic species?

This is based on the expanded universe books I read a couple decades ago, but the eggs the queen lays aren't eggs as such, just storage devices for the face huggers. The face huggers carry the actual eggs that they jam into people/critters. The eggs absorb the dna they need from the host, fertilising themselves that way, which is why the chest bursters end up having the same body design as the host. One from a human has two arms and legs, one from a dog is mostly quadrapedal, stuff like that.

A chestburster can be fed royal jelly to force it to mature into a queen, and it'll sometimes just mature into a queen randomly too. Royal jelly has fun effects on humans, in that mostly it works like mega steroids, apart from a tiny group of people with the right genetic markers where it works like ULTRA SUPER MEGA STEROIDS.They can also be forced to mature by being around enough creatures that can be used as hosts. If a queen is around enough critters that could be hosts it'll evolve into a Queen Mother, a giant queen that only ever lays eggs that hatch new queens. There are male xenomorphs, called hierophants. They tend to be bigger, spikey xenomorphs. A bunch of chestbursters will sometimes mature into hierophants, they'll kill each other, the survivor will mate with a queen and then get eaten. There doesn't appear to be any benefit or reason for this, and it isn't neccessary. The only xenomorph king I remember was built via genetic manipulation. It was very, very big, incredibly dumb and extremely hostile to the nearest xenomorph queen.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!

Groke posted:

The sequel gives you more of what you want.

Also you get to go on an adventure!

(Also also there seems to be another sequel coming out later this month. Tchaikovsky is not always as good as in Children of Time but when he hits he's on fire.)

His Final Architecture trilogy is a big space opera with a whole bunch of different alien cultures. There's female space marines who, considering Tchaikovsky is a 40k guy, are deliberately derivative, crab guys who's drive in life is to build up a literal nest egg for their children and hive-mind cockroach colonies that go around in robot bodies. My personal favourites are the big weird clam dudes who have established a culty empire where other species serve them, despite the fact that they communicate by waving tentacles around and shrieking in a way that nobody can translate properly.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Reverand Me posted:

My personal favourites are the big weird clam dudes who have established a culty empire where other species serve them, despite the fact that they communicate by waving tentacles around and shrieking in a way that nobody can translate properly.

I enjoyed this mental image very much, thankyou

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

smarxist posted:

I can't even think how to explain the creatures in Schild's Ladder but they sure were cool

How about the ones in Wang's Carpets?

Twenty-five-thousand-ton living carpets that float deep below the surface of the world-ocean and consume organic molecules that fall from the surface, slowly adding to themselves and splitting off fragments when they get too big.

Each carpet has a surface that functions as a Turing machine, and encodes a simulated universe which is so complex that it's developed intelligent life.

You can observe the molecular shifts in a carpet and translate that into the activities of the sophonts in the simulated universe. And you can never interact with them. They probably have no idea there's an outside universe, even.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

How about the ones in Wang's Carpets?

Those fuckers were so weird, that we had to mention them twice on the same page.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Groke posted:

Those fuckers were so weird, that we had to mention them twice on the same page.

They recurred.

edit: okay, something new: the Cheela, from Robert Forward's Dragon's Egg. They live on the surface of a neutron star.

Each Cheela is about the mass of an adult human, and about the volume of a sesame seed.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 3, 2024

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

smarxist posted:

Those creatures had their cellular(molecular?/atomic?) analogues made up of discreet bit of reality with different laws of physics that behaved in predictable ways. So think of the different realms of LoP rotating around each other and exchanging energy as, say, cracking sucrose into glucose with an enzyme.

The different human cultures in that book were wild too. My favorite bit players were the Archaeonauts. Baseline humans as we are now from, in the setting, 20,000 years ago slowly relivistically cruising the galaxy on sleeper ships while modern humans zip around at light speed as digitized minds into custom bodies with all the transhumanist options one could want. Despite all that when the Archaeonauts reached their first modern planet it wasn't the technological wonders they wanted to learn from their descendants but what new permutations the "Battle of the Sexes" had taken.
Well we didn't have innate sexual dimorpism anymore. Instead when people were mutually attracted to each other they would grow compatible genitalia over the course of the week and "our designs were so much more imaginative than nature's could ever be." But these people had decided to make a planetwide celebration of the ancestors' arrival and they didn't want to disappoint so they made up some sci-fi gender essentialist bs like you'd find in Niven or Pournelle. This was a big hit and the Archaeonauts happily went on their way.

That was such good fun so messages were sent to the next planets in line and the Archaeos get to see a parade of all sorts of parodies of sci-fi gender speculations. Heinlein, an inverted Gor, mandatory polyamory, you name it. The only scenario they didn't believe was the planet where there was true and complete equality of the sexes and were convinced there was a hidden conspiracy that they weren't able to uncover before they left to continue their journey.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yadoppsi posted:

Those creatures had their cellular(molecular?/atomic?) analogues made up of discreet bit of reality with different laws of physics that behaved in predictable ways. So think of the different realms of LoP rotating around each other and exchanging energy as, say, cracking sucrose into glucose with an enzyme.

The different human cultures in that book were wild too. My favorite bit players were the Archaeonauts. Baseline humans as we are now from, in the setting, 20,000 years ago slowly relivistically cruising the galaxy on sleeper ships while modern humans zip around at light speed as digitized minds into custom bodies with all the transhumanist options one could want. Despite all that when the Archaeonauts reached their first modern planet it wasn't the technological wonders they wanted to learn from their descendants but what new permutations the "Battle of the Sexes" had taken.
Well we didn't have innate sexual dimorpism anymore. Instead when people were mutually attracted to each other they would grow compatible genitalia over the course of the week and "our designs were so much more imaginative than nature's could ever be." But these people had decided to make a planetwide celebration of the ancestors' arrival and they didn't want to disappoint so they made up some sci-fi gender essentialist bs like you'd find in Niven or Pournelle. This was a big hit and the Archaeonauts happily went on their way.

That was such good fun so messages were sent to the next planets in line and the Archaeos get to see a parade of all sorts of parodies of sci-fi gender speculations. Heinlein, an inverted Gor, mandatory polyamory, you name it. The only scenario they didn't believe was the planet where there was true and complete equality of the sexes and were convinced there was a hidden conspiracy that they weren't able to uncover before they left to continue their journey.

Hahahahahaha good god I need to read this book.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Hahahahahaha good god I need to read this book.

Greg Egan is cool.

Other "hard SF" authors will take an idea and run fast and loose with it. Egan will bloody well show you his math.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Dirigible Behemothaurs are island-sized floating creatures/ecosystems that live within artificial worldlets of unknown origin called "Airspheres", gigantic orbs of atmosphere lit by small central suns. The Behemothaurs can live for aeons, and communicate via symbiotic messenger creatures they grow within themselves. It's unclear how they reproduce, but they are known to "mate" with other Behemothaurs, a process which involves the two merging to create a new, composite conciousness inside a now much larger form.

I found The Affront in Excession pretty interesting. A species that enjoys inflicting pain to such an extent that they genetically engineered themselves and their subjects so that victims experience as much as possible pain, fear and anxiety.

https://theculture.fandom.com/wiki/Affront

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Votskomit posted:

I found The Affront in Excession pretty interesting. A species that enjoys inflicting pain to such an extent that they genetically engineered themselves and their subjects so that victims experience as much as possible pain, fear and anxiety.

https://theculture.fandom.com/wiki/Affront

the Affront are just the British upper-class

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Are there any aliens where the larvae/juvenile forms are people but their adult forms are not

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Are there any aliens where the larvae/juvenile forms are people but their adult forms are not

Isn't that literally people in the ring world universe?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There was one of these guys in the early Han Solo books, I think? It's been a while so I can't really remember.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah but the one I can think of right now is a spoiler.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Armacham posted:

Isn't that literally people in the ring world universe?

Pak Protectors, the final adult form, are still sapient and more intelligent than humans, they're just basically enslaved to certain protective instinctive duties.

And in the original unmutated species, the 'breeder' phase, which adult humans never advance beyond, was about on the level of a chimpanzee in terms of sapience and intelligence. A bunch got stuck on earth, the elements to trigger a shift of individuals into the final Protector phase later in life didn't exist, so they evolved to become more intelligent and capable in the breeder phase instead. We're basically axalotls.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 15, 2024

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Icedude posted:

There was one of these guys in the early Han Solo books, I think? It's been a while so I can't really remember.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ruurian

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The sequel to Ender's game. It focuses on these aliens who in their natural life cycle undergo a ritual where they get disemboweled and sprout into trees. This led to problems when they did the ritual on humans who do not turn into trees when they get disemboweled.

Humanity in Childhood's End.

Kif's species on Futurama, who the ''person" phase is actually the penultimate phase after a bunch of weird earlier larval forms, and then after they become mature adults they explode and turn into a sentient swarm of flies.

The Neti in the Tales of the Jedi, who become trees in their old age, although a force-sensitive Neti could be reawakened by other powerful force users and wiggle around, like the famous jedi, Ood Bnar. I think there might be a lot of species that have a similar end life cycle where they just kinda slow down and become something that maybe is still alive but doesn't do anything to assert their sentience, like I think that happens to Ents. I wanna say there's some kinda stone creature out there that just slows down with age until like it may still be alive but it's not moving around anymore. But maybe it could reawaken again.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

"Protectors of the Unborn", from James White's Sector General stories. The fetuses are telepathic and sapient, but the planet is so dangerous that sapience is survival-negative and thus the process of being born involves hormones that destroy the sapience and leave the newborn a savage (and parthenogenetic) monster.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I read a book that had these gigantic sapient caterpillars that eventually entered metamorphosis and emerged as like, non-sapient lemurs

it was among the worst books I've ever read and the most shocking part was when it finally hit me what the author's barely disguised fetish was

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Was it loving caterpillars?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Was it loving caterpillars?

Lemurs sticking caterpillars up their whosits?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Vernor Vinge's _A Fire Upon the Deep_ has aliens with a multi-body mind called the Tines. They have bodies that are shaped sort of like a wolf crossed with an otter with large tympanic membranes on their head. The bodies are about as smart as a really smart dog, but they use the tympanic membranes to network their mind with other bodies, and a pack of 4-8 individuals makes a single human intelligent individual. They can integrate new single bodies, usually this is how babies become part of an adult, but they can integrate an adult, though that's a lot harder. Packs can't stand very close to each other without the mind sounds interfering and making them no longer a pack, so this usually only happens for sex and violence. They have paws and very agile mouths, and use their mouths much like we do hands for complicated work, though militant packs mount metal claws on their paws for fighting.

When a pack member dies, the living parts still have some memories from the dead member, and a new member who joins in will share some of his memories and personality. Unless something kills most or all of the pack members, they're effectively immortal but with a personality that shifts over time as new members come into the pack. Completely new packs made entirely of puppies are rare and considered a bit strange, it's much more common for packs to split or add new members. Some packs don't want the personality change that comes from bringing in outsiders, so will have puppies only between their pack members, but after a few generations this leads to inbreeding problems and is considered aberrant behavior. There's also gender assigned to whole packs, but it's not really explained what 'male' and 'female' mean in that context, as the packs usually have members of both sexes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It was fantastic to read about the Tines as a kid-- although it kind of ruined a lot of less-adventurous sci fi for me afterwards!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wanna say there's some kinda stone creature out there that just slows down with age until like it may still be alive but it's not moving around anymore. But maybe it could reawaken again.
This is what happens to trolls on Pratchett's Discworld. They are basically living rocks and get bigger and bigger as they age (really old trolls are the size of mountains), but they also get philosophical and at some point they sit down to think about What's It All About Really. And as the years drag on their outer edges crystallize and so at the end there's just a flicker of life embedded inside some weird geologic structures.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008

Presto posted:

This is what happens to trolls on Pratchett's Discworld. They are basically living rocks and get bigger and bigger as they age (really old trolls are the size of mountains)

That, and their silicon-based brains conduct better when colder. The stereotype of the "dumb troll" is due to them coming down from the icy mountains (where they are of "normal human" intelligence) to the sea-level cities where their brains slow down.

The Insussklik or "Toolies" from Steeldriver by Don DeBrandt. Amorphous, vaguely transparent blobs of muscle who use rigid structures to basically make any body type they need for their purpose. In the wild the mothers would eat the soft bits off prey (absorb + digest) and give their children the bones to play with and learn to form limbs and such. In the 'civilised' world they are used by megacorps as the ultimate slave labour. Give a Toolie a few hydraulic limbs and a jackhammer and you have an intelligent and perfectly adaptable excavator to exploit in the mines, for example.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Meningism posted:

The Insussklik or "Toolies" from Steeldriver by Don DeBrandt. Amorphous, vaguely transparent blobs of muscle who use rigid structures to basically make any body type they need for their purpose. In the wild the mothers would eat the soft bits off prey (absorb + digest) and give their children the bones to play with and learn to form limbs and such. In the 'civilised' world they are used by megacorps as the ultimate slave labour. Give a Toolie a few hydraulic limbs and a jackhammer and you have an intelligent and perfectly adaptable excavator to exploit in the mines, for example.

Oh wow. I didn't expect to see the storysmith series referenced here.
I loved those books. Skinshifter and his race were really cool.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008

FIX SIGNS posted:

Oh wow. I didn't expect to see the storysmith series referenced here.
I loved those books. Skinshifter and his race were really cool.

I don't know what the Storysmith series is! Is it Don Debrandt EU?

I've only read Steeldriver as a random pick up in a bargain bin at the supermarket as a young teen, and I also haven't heard of anyone else who's read it. I didn't realise it was meant to be a riff on John Henry until quite recently. I really want to read Timberjak but it's a hard find.

Content: I'll edit it out if reddit links are frowned upon but occasionally there're good nuggets in the expanse of dross that is HFY.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HFY/comments/5m4jdf/alien_minds/

This little concept, of a species that has no autonomic control and has to consciously micromanage each bodily function, I'd never seen before so really stuck with me. I love a good alien race that's actually fundamentally different from humans.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Meningism posted:

I've only read Steeldriver as a random pick up in a bargain bin at the supermarket as a young teen, and I also haven't heard of anyone else who's read it. I didn't realise it was meant to be a riff on John Henry until quite recently. I really want to read Timberjak but it's a hard find.

Content: I'll edit it out if reddit links are frowned upon but occasionally there're good nuggets in the expanse of dross that is HFY.

This little concept, of a species that has no autonomic control and has to consciously micromanage each bodily function, I'd never seen before so really stuck with me. I love a good alien race that's actually fundamentally different from humans.

Timberjak is the second in the series followed by V.I. (viral intelligence) both feature storysmith, skinshifter and other characters who's names I currently forget.

I originally randomly happened upon V.I. And really liked it so I tracked down the others on ebay, I think? That was almost twenty years ago, now.

Edit: Storysmith himself is a reoccurring character, traveling partner of Skinshifter (the toolie) and the main narrator. Though, I'm now unsure if they were identified in the first book. They show up as a main character in Timberjak. It's been awhile. I should revisit thevseries!

FIX SIGNS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 1, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Meningism posted:

The problem with coming up with "truly alien" cultures is devising a gulf of identity that can still be meaningfully understood by your human readers, while also not crashing headlong into grotesque monkeycheese absurdities like equating vile sex crimes with precision timekeeping. Which is probably why the authors who can navigate those turbulent whitewaters get published, and the ones who can't post on reddit.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 1, 2024

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Would it even be possible to develop space travel without some sort of timekeeping? And wouldn't literally breathing manually be a huge evolutionary disadvantage?

As for cool alien (actually modified human) species, All Tomorrows features many of them, with illustrations. Warning for body horror, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ScienceSeagull posted:

Would it even be possible to develop space travel without some sort of timekeeping?

Depends on what kind of cheat you're using for FTL (assuming any). I'm thinking particularly of Harry Turtledove's short "The Road Not Taken", in which hyperdrive and artificial gravity are so ridiculously simple that most species discover them very early on, with the result that the aliens who invade Earth are armed with muskets and black powder.

There are species that have hyperdrive that don't know how to smelt iron.