Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

the pundits making them favourites are so loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Boozil

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

tristeham posted:

the pundits making them favourites are so loving stupid.

every single tournament they're always the favourites no matter how bad they are

part of it's annoying but it makes their losses and the Neymar crying that much funnier

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If Brazil don't manage to win the next two world cups they'll be able to start coopting "30 years of hurt"

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
F 🫡

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

in conclusion,

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Big rumors of Brazil targetting Ancelotti.

Personally, I doubt it. A coach like him wouldn't put up with the pressure to call up random players in order to get them sold. If I were a gambling man, I'd bet on Dorival Jr or Fernando Diniz.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Big rumors of Brazil targetting Ancelotti.

Personally, I doubt it. A coach like him wouldn't put up with the pressure to call up random players in order to get them sold. If I were a gambling man, I'd bet on Dorival Jr or Fernando Diniz.
Would they really hire a non-Brazilian manager?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Crazy Ted posted:

I'd say it's not impossible if you're going after a huge name like Ancelotti or Guardiola, as "star power" (for lack of a better word) would overwhelm any political headaches born of foreseeable bitching from national managers. The language barrier is something to consider, though, so a Portuguese manager would likely have that advantage going for him.

I've heard talk that Jorge Jesus' name is also being considered to a smaller degree, still riding on his dominating run with Flamengo in 2019, despite the fact that his results after returning to the EU haven't been too hot.

All that said, international managers are a lot more accepted nowadays than they were before thanks to good (or overwhelming, like the aforementioned Jorge Jesus case) performance in the national leagues, so if there was a moment where I could see one taking over the national team, this could be it. I'm not holding my breath, mind you, but I feel like it could happen.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The word in the Italian press about it is that he is open to it, or rather, he's not opposed to it. If he was unemployed currently or not at the biggest club on earth I would say it was more probable. It's gonna take a lot to get him away from Real Madrid.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Managing an international team seems like it’d be a lot less stressful than managing a club. It’s also guaranteed job security with lower expectations. Not bad if you’re looking to coast.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

I think that if anything, the pressure from the public is for an international coach.
The thing is that, as I said, there is a lot of backroom dealing in the Brazilian national team in the form of calling up players of marginal quality so that they get sold as "Brazilian national team player." CBF can pressure Brazilian coaches to do that since they'd likely be employed in Brazil, but I wouldn't see a big time international name accepting the same interference.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Managing an international team seems like it’d be a lot less stressful than managing a club. It’s also guaranteed job security with lower expectations. Not bad if you’re looking to coast.

Yes, these all seem like things that apply to the loving Brazil job

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The South American cup has only like two real competitors and the World Cup isn’t for another four years. So yeah it’s a loving sweet gig. Not forgetting how breezy the day to day is.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There's quite a bit of pressure, though it is different than club level pressure.
Mano Menezes was fired for failing to win the olympics. Dunga was fired for failing to win the Copa America Centenario. And there is pressure to call up some marginal players here and there. People asking for your head because you didn't call Gabigol or whatever. And it's this last one that I think would keep a lot of top shelf managers away. Because it has been pretty well documented that CBF interferes pretty heavily in that sort of decision. Would Ancelotti really be happy with some rando radio personality calling him stupid because he didn't take Gabigol?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Ancelotti turning on the TV and seeing the president of Brazil personally calling him a oval office for not playing a back 3 against Venezuela and thinking 'this never happened at Everton'

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Ancelotti said the same thing about coaching loving Canada I'd relax a bit on his hyperbole lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I know I'm late but very nice thread title op

Brunom1 posted:

I'd say it's not impossible if you're going after a huge name like Ancelotti or Guardiola, as "star power" (for lack of a better word) would overwhelm any political headaches born of foreseeable bitching from national managers. The language barrier is something to consider, though, so a Portuguese manager would likely have that advantage going for him.

Everything's coming up Mourinho