Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Oh man, these guys are so hosed.
Yeah, but maybe slightly less so than you'd think. Let me run it down quick.

Los Ticos enter the World Cup with by far the lowest odds of winning the whole thing, which is at least in part due to the fact that they got arguably the hardest group assignment in the tournament. They're going to have to get past Spain, Germany, and a Japan team that, like them, is in a bit of a generational moment. It's a bunch of skeletons and a bunch of babies, and nothing in between. The older crowd is mostly remnants of the magical 2014 team that made the best eight, some of whom we'll get back to in a bit. But even a year ago, this team wasn't even likely to recapture any World Cup magic at all. In June 2021, they had won a single drat game in 14 appearances. Exit Ronaldo Gonzales, enter this man:

Luis Fernando Suarez didn't immediately turn this squad around. They did reach the quarters of the Gold Cup, but they only took two points from their first three qualifiers. Then, 2022 hit, and the guy who managed Ecuador in to the quarterfinals in 2006 had them firing on all cylinders. They won 6, drew 1, and squeaked in by beating New Zealand in the intercontinental playoff. They're coming in to their identity, finally, leveraging the experience they have and the youth in the wings (literally). There IS a path to victory, however unlikely.

Group Stage Schedule (EST)
VS Spain - Wednesday 23, 11 AM EST
VS Japan - Sunday 27, 5 AM EST
VS Germany- Thursday 1, 2 PM EST

So how are they gonna win this thing?

Costa Rica have gone back in time. They've rediscovered their formula of success in 2014, which is to lock you and them in a loving bank vault for 90 minutes. Nothing gets in, nothing gets out. In their first six wins in 2022, they scored seven goals and conceded a single score. They are a stifling defensive team that will choke the life out of you. They're slightly vulnerable to faster speed on the wings, but they make up for it by bogging you down in front of the box and forcing low quality shots. Costa Rica run a very wide 4-4-2 with a double pivot, and they don't press high on the pitch at all. They stuff the absolute gently caress out of their third of the field and play for a long pass counter, with backs rushing up to stuff the box in search of headers.

They're able to do this with confidence thanks in part to their legendary national keeper, Keylor Navas. Navas is backing up at PSG now, but he is the biggest reason they're in this Cup at all, and he's going to be one of two keys to this run, along with Jewison Bennette. Bennette, on the left wing, is only one of seven players in this squad to be playing club football abroad. But he's very clearly validated Sunderland's decision to sign a relative unknown to a good contract. He's the kid who put the ball on Joel Campbell's foot that sent them past New Zealand. He scored two goals against South Korea in a friendly this year. If Los Ticos are going to get any unexpected firepower, it'll be from over there on the wing.

They have the longest odds, and many will be viewing this as a fond farewell to their greats and a warm hello to the future. But Los Ticos have proven that they can shock the world before.

John McClane fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I believe in 76 year old bryan ruiz

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

keylor gonna swing his way to national team triumph

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Jewison Bennette for player name of the tournament, and it's not even close

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Only because Jizz Horncamp isn't good enough for the Netherlands

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Waiting for the Ghana squad to be announced but there is a serious contender in the longlist

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Nice OP, OP. I agree with everything.

To add to this, Bryan’s rotting corpse is there to finish up defending a one goal advantage or a draw by intelligently keeping possession and holding up the ball, he’s extremely good at that and was key to some of the qualifying results.

Jewisson is the new Joelito and I’m very excited about his future. Hate to disappoint you all but his name is pronounced yeh-wee-son

Also it is always necessary to highlight that Johan Venegas is a useless piece of poo poo and he will miss at least two sitters if not more.

E: fun/sad fact that I just remembered: midfielder Orlando Galo had his spot on the squad pretty much guaranteed but he got himself into a doping investigation because of some acne cream that contained some prohibited substance.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 11, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I believe in 76 year old bryan ruiz

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Simone Poodoin posted:

Jewisson is the new Joelito and I’m very excited about his future. Hate to disappoint you all but his name is pronounced yeh-wee-son

another fun fact: Jewisson is his father (also a national team vet), the kid on the team only has one s

his uncle was also on the national team, with the excellent name of Try Bennette

John McClane fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 11, 2022

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

John McClane posted:

Ronald Gonzalez

Forgot to mention that I go to the same gym as him. Very nice guy and one of the heroes of Italy 90 but just a bad coach unfortunately.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Been a big Costa Rica fan since the game thread update the extremely lol-worthy 2014 group stage upset, and kicking the poo poo out of Americans on a yearly basis is just gravy, so I am over the moon to have drawn this esteemed team for the forum's 'Mega Sweep Super Game' whatever that is supposed to mean. Now after today's action I have unfortunately had to give up hope of winning the 'worst team' awards, so I'm going to need more experienced fans to tell me which of the prizes will surely float my way in a months time - perhaps a simple WC win is on the cards here? I'm excited to find out!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Fastest goal is your best bet imo, other scenarios are unlikely.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Strap the gently caress in

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Hoping for some top managerial tactical management at half time from *checks OP* Luis Suarez?? and a 4 goal turnaround inshallah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Hoping for some top managerial tactical management at half time from *checks OP* Luis Suarez?? and a 4 goal turnaround inshallah

I'm expecting them to take a bite out Spain in the second half here

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Change the thread title to "Navas is dead" imho

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
This will only make it funnier when we beat germany

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
oof

on the positive side my worst team prize is back on the menu

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

John McClane posted:

This will only make it funnier when we beat germany

Or japan, that works too

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm banking on a solid win in the final game for my sweeps, don't let me down Costa Rica lads

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lmao that Keysher Fuller of all people was the hero, but he was the hero of the match against Panama in qualifying too, shortly after this Bryan scored the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMRLmhbXwo

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
On to germany

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
most goals in the group stages out of concacaf

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I am satisfied. After the worst possible start the team showed courage and for a few glorious seconds the funniest result was a reality.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
if they can replace the old corpses with more guys like vargas this team will be loving scary in the CUM zone

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John McClane posted:

the second goal was some prime concacaf goalscoring

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

John McClane posted:

do I get a sweepstakes trophy for that

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Soo close to chaos football oh well, lets go Japan !

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

I am satisfied. After the worst possible start the team showed courage and for a few glorious seconds the funniest result was a reality.
Yeah that was a pretty good turnaround after the opening game.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Well done to Costa Rica, I was really pulling for them to go through and they showed a lot of fight against a tough opponent. I'll be following the progress of your team with interest in future tournaments!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

As far as I'm concerned this is reality.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Blowsta Peeca