Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

I'm planning a thing but I don't know all the specifics so I am just collecting parts of the thing itt in this thread

It's kind of a tabletop RPG except meant to be played over a forum or a discord bot maybe. Not fully hammered out yet. A lot of the mechanics are though so I may do a test thread soon.

Part of character creation involves choosing a class, which each have a unique graphic. The colors (lines + fill) can be changed independently so when you sign up you would enter hex codes and your character card would be generated with those colors.

Many of these will be character classes, but the less cool ones will wind up being NPCs or enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

rapidly mashing the "feed" button on my digimon

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

deep dish peat moss

Also the conceit is that all of the players collectively play as one entity called The Party which is controlled by the game master. When The Party encounters an obstacle or event, a number of options are available that any party member can undertake, with a success chance dictated by their stats (I have the whole dice mechanic worked out with a system based on The Price Is Right and it should be rad as hell). However!! Failure of ANY event or obstacle means immediate and permanent death. The player can roll a new character to join The Party, but their progress and inventory are lost.

Performing very well though will earn you Protagonist Points which can be spent to cheat death and do some other things.

In a dream world I would monetize this by posting it on Twitter or something and charging $5 to generate a character or whatever, or perhaps by making a discord bot that automates it all and then charging something nominal like $0.25 to generate a character (arcade nostalgia...) but in the real world I'll probably just post a thread

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 11, 2022

deep dish peat moss

This is the character sheet:

Every action has an associated attribute (which range from -4 to +4) which affects success chance
Every action also has a number of associated Skills, and having an associated skill allows you to affect either success chance or degree of success (but not both)

Proficiencies and Phobias are roleplaying/storytelling things, the player starts with one of each and occasionally has to add more. They're just for the game master (me or whoever) to use for flavor

Psycho-competencies are psychic abilities. Everyone is two things, (1) digital, and (2) psychic so you need some psychic abilities and you get new ones by downloading them. For example Kinetic allows you to move objects with your mind. Having a psycho-competency essentially opens up new actions for you on some events. Players can also suggest their own actions based on their psycho-competencies. So a player with Psycho Kinetic might suggest moving a boulder as an alternative to the options the game master provided them with. The GM then decides what the Difficulty of doing that would be and then the player can chose whether they want to attempt it or not.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 11, 2022

deep dish peat moss

Today so far I drew a bunch of bees and a couple war pigs and some other things.

And I know no one cares about AI Generated Art but I figured out a way to get consistently good correct-perspective good-looking landscapes and scenery out of it so I can illustrate things for the RPG side of this easier. Like if the party meets a civilization of bees in their apiary:

& with effort I could even add shadows + lighting effects.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I don't understand it, but I love how much you've progressed in your art in the short while I've known you. These are awesome 😎

deep dish peat moss

Someone in the CC Daily Drawings thread mentioned drawabox.com once, which is a free rigorous self-guided course that teaches you all the main concepts of drawing without all the "art education" stuff. I started going through it and it really helped me understand the ultra-basics that I missed like lines and shapes and construction. I skipped all that when I taught myself how to draw and taught myself a bunch of more advanced techniques instead. So now I'm getting the fundamentals down and it's pretty cool :c00l:

Here's the TL;DR at the top: TL;DR: it's largely a mish-mash of a bunch of different "freeform" tabletop RPG systems that are more about roleplaying than detailed simulated mechanics (e.g. Dungeons and Dragons combat), but designed to be played in the form of a Choose Your Own Adventure thread on these (or other) forums.

Longer (and hopefully coherent) explanation:

The concept is: A Choose Your Own Adventure thread which is primarily about storytelling and the players (posters) influencing the story.The players collectively play as a sort of gestalt consciousness hivemend called "The Party" which is a group of small adventurers. Each player creates a character and becomes one of those adventurers.

The kicker is that there is a system of light Tabletop RPG mechanics on top. I designed the system while listening to a podcast about tabletop game design, and I started this back during the pandemic so it was built to be played remotely - through a thread on a forum, or Discord, or Twitter, or whatever. And it's designed to not need any deep complex knowledge of mechanics. The actual math and mechanics behind it are very simple and straightforward.

When there's like, an obstacle that The Party needs to get past, such as goblin brigands, or a dragon, the GM (Thread OP) offers a few options for how to deal with the obstacle. There's no detailed combat mechanics or anything, so one of the options would be "Slay The Dragon". Any player could volunteer to attempt to slay the dragon, and the GM/Thread OP would determine the outcome based on die rolls and the player's stats and skills and equipment they'd acquired along the way (all with light tabletop RPG mechanics on top, to give it structure and make it easy and fair to determine the outcome, and to let the player know their chance of success ahead of time). The kicker being that if a player attempts to slay the dragon and fails, their character is permamently dead and gone and they can create a new one. The rest of The Party still exists and is still facing the dragon, and one of them could try to slay it - or they could try something else instead.

When a player is successful in actions, they get bonuses - this is the Reward that makes the Risk worth it. These bonuses can be anything from equipment or new skills which will help them succeed at their actions (and therefore not die), ways to ward off death temporarily, or even new upgraded art that makes them stand out more and look more imposing in the GM/OP's scenes.

Players/posters could also suggest their own alternate actions to the ones that the GM/Thead OP offers, and there are guidelines for the GM/OP determining the Difficulty and success chance of that action before offering it to the players.

But this thread is primarily just me posting all of the art assets I make for it in one place because otherwise they become a jumbled incoherent mess on my ipad. Here are two beef warriors

E: The reason I refer to "The GM" or "The OP" instead of "me" is because what I'd really like to do is turn this into something like a Discord bot that I could sell to people who want to run it on their own Discord servers, either using my art assets or custom ones. Maybe make it free but they can pay to get the art assets, I don't know. But I am broke and can't find a job and it's difficult to monetize the extreme-ADHD firehose of constantly-different content :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 12, 2022

deep dish peat moss

Ass-penny

this looks cool ddpm! dang that's a lot of mons in that last post!

deep dish peat moss

I posted a thread in GBS where you can sign up to get randomly drawn mons occasionally, for completely no purpose

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017407

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I really dig the bee folks.