Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Aleksandar Mitrović is the good footballer. WHen Mitrović is playing, the crowd goes "wow", it's good clean fun for the whole family. The man on the street loves to see Aleksandar Mitrović, and that is why a variety of football clubs gave it to him, until too many of them were shot, chainsawed, bought by Saudi Arabia, jailed for tax evasion, or owned by Shahid Khan. So now there's really only one club he played for for the past four years.

+ FIFA AND UEFA AGREE, Serbia gets to claim the legacy of Yugoslavia (when it comes to football)

The Serbian national football team has competed in somewhere between 12 and 3 World Cup appearances depending on how much you considered the rest of the Yugoslav constituent states as contributing to the talent pool. However UEFA and FIFA both agree with the 12 number (sorry Montenegro) and the longest tenured member of the squad got his first cap in 2008 so this bit of history is now really only a footnote and a question of legacy rather than anything of practical concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn8bnqRgswM

So you might ask, why is Mitrović the main character of this thread, and to that I say dude just scores goals and it’s cool as hell. He currently has the most goals for Serbia with 50 in 76 caps which is twelve more Stjepan Bobek (the next highest goalscorer) and he is just a goal scoring machine, having scored a record number of goals in the Championship last season and it appears he will end up with 9 goals before the World Cup starts in Fulham’s Premier League run this year (which puts him behind only Haaland and Kane). The dude scores goals and it’s cool as hell.

+ National team manager Dragan Stojković

The team has been announced as follows.

Goalkeepers: Predrag Rajković (Mallorca, 28 caps), Marko Dmitrović (Sevilla, 19 caps), Vanja Milinković-Savić (Torino, 6 caps)
Defenders: Nikola Milenković (Fiorentina, 37 caps), Stefan Mitrović (Getafe, 34 caps), Strahinja Pavlović (Red Bull’s Austrian Branch Office, 21 caps and overtime), Miloš Veljković (Werder Bremen, 21 caps), Filip Mladenović (Legia Warsaw, 19 caps), Srđan Babić (Almeria, 2 caps), Strahinja Eraković (Red Star Belgrade, 1 cap)
Midfielders: Captain Dušan Tadić (Ajax, 90 caps [the most active ooh - aah]), Filip Kostić (Zebre, 50 caps), Nemanja Gudelj (Sevilla, 48 caps), Nemanja Maksimović (Getafe, 39 caps), Nemanja Radonjić (Torino, 36 caps), Filip Đuričić (Sampdoria, 36 caps), Sergej Milinković-Savić (Lazio, 35 caps), Saša Lukić (Torino, 32 caps), Andrija Živković (PAOK, 28 caps), Darko Lazović (Hellas Verona, 25 caps), Marko Grujić (Porto, 17 caps), Uroš Račić (Braga, 9 caps), Ivan Ilić (Hellas Verona, 5 caps)
Forwards: Vice Captain Aleksandar Mitrović (Fulham, 76 caps), Luka Jović (Fiorentina, 28 caps), Dušan Vlahović (Zebre, 16 caps)

INTERESTING (to me) PEOPLE

Strahinja Pavlović

Pavlović is the youngest player Serbia has called up for this world cup squad and the defender has already made 21 appearances despite that. Recently having escaped the Monaco loan circuit to end up playing for the team from Red Bull in Salzburg it's interesting and I hope he does well.

Dušan Vlahović

Despite this being the Aleksandar Mitrović Appreciation Station, Vlahović has a lot of interesting things to look at. He's been part of a Juve team that got dunked out of the Champion's League, but that is still higher profile than Luka Jović's 4 goals in the conference league or Aleksandar Mitrović's being Aleksandar Mitrović.

Aleksandar Mitrović

He's the reason for the season, Aleksandar Mitrović. Despite an ankle injury that will keep him out of the final two games Fulham will play in the Premier League before the World Cup, Mitrović has been called up and is expected to make the trip to Qatar for the Serbia team. He's Aleksandar Mitrović, he has the most goals in Serbia's history. Assuming his body is ready, I look forward to him increasing that count.

Serbia's Group Stage Games (All Times are US Eastern so use a clock)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
At last, a chance to sate my crippling addiction to overrating Serbia's chances based on the fact they have a lot of players I recognise only to watch them quietly exit the groups without fanfare

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i love serbia and the serbs

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
if dani alves can play for brazil then kolarov can play for serbia

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Vlahovic and Kostic have been playing together at Juve and Kostic is looking pretty not-bad. And SMS is a legitimately good midfielder. Certainly a good enough team to… wait Brazil, Cameroon and Switzerland? Oh. I see.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'll :toxx: myself here because I am stupid.

I'll request a 1 week probate if Nitro isn't the highest scoring player of the torunament.

E:

I'll raise the odds

1 week per GD between Mitro and the highest goalscorer of the tournament

url fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 13, 2022

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
serbia blew a 3 - 1 lead

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
oh no Serbbros...did we get too cocky?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
There's a sex scandal in the Serbian team. I didn't follow who hosed whose wives but an acquaintance from Serbia has been sending me memes and clips. Tabloids and fans in general are having a field day. To quote him, "This is better than winning the thing".

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Doctor Malaver posted:

There's a sex scandal in the Serbian team. I didn't follow who hosed whose wives but an acquaintance from Serbia has been sending me memes and clips. Tabloids and fans in general are having a field day. To quote him, "This is better than winning the thing".

lol

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Kind of like always, technically gifted but really fragile and only one idea.
Didn't think they created many clear cut chances in the first half beyond Mitrovic's goal, and the second half was just hopeless. Never looked like scoring and always looked like conceding. Oh well

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think the rumours are that they were always looking to score but just got distracted by the football

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Serbia needed the manager on the pitch to score more goals for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQPW2jC_URY

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Serpeea.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

url posted:

I'll :toxx: myself here because I am stupid.

I'll request a 1 week probate if Nitro isn't the highest scoring player of the torunament.

E:

I'll raise the odds

1 week per GD between Mitro and the highest goalscorer of the tournament

Mbappe 8 vs Mitro 2

I've earned myself a six week probation because for some reason, Fulham did not win the World Cup.

Can a mod do the needful, tia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

o7