Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Problem description: I have an Acer Aspire E15 e5-575g that I wanted to upgrade the boot drive on. It has two slots, one is a standard 2.5" bay that I've had a 1 TB SSD in for a while just fine, the other is an M.2 slot with an M key (one notch) that came with a 256gb B key (two notches) SSD from the factory.
Reading online, it states in several places that the M.2 slot is only compatible with drives up to a 512gb capacity, but I don't understand why. I installed a 1 TB NVMe SSD (M key) in the slot that fits fine. First I tried to do a recovery backup image transfer, which didn't work and led to a boot loop, then I tried to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch (with recovery media I made from inside the good installation) which still didn't work, leading a slightly different looking boot loop.
I'm typing this from an installation of Linux Mint that works just fine on this computer with the new 1 TB drive.

I can certainly understand if somehow there's a weird driver or configuration problem where this Acer simply won't take a large drive in Windows for some reason, or if this would somehow blow up if I ever crammed it full of more than 600gb of files or something, but I'm pretty baffled otherwise. If the answer is to buy a 500gb drive instead and use that, sure I guess, but I don't want to buy it and run into the same problem. Also kind of a meh upgrade in that case.
I installed Windows the second time using "recovery media," which might have corrupted system files or something, I could try a full reinstallation with a completely fresh downloaded image, but I kind of don't want that to be the answer because I don't actually want to go through configuring a fresh install and getting everything set up again.

Attempted fixes: Recovery from a backup image, then reinstallation from recovery media, then installation of two flavors of linux.
I can reinsert the old boot drive just fine, I haven't hosed the UEFI or anything.

Recent changes: The new SSD is a Samsung 980 M.2 SSD. I'm removing the other 2.5" SSD while doing installations to make sure I don't accidentally overwrite it, but it boots fine either way with the original boot SSD.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Acer Aspire E15 e5-575g

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS and see if that makes any difference: https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/drivers-and-manuals