Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Currently ranked 26th in the world, Poland are making their 9th appearance at the Men's World Cup this year where they find themselves in Group C alongside Argentina, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico. Fixtures are below:

22 November
Mexico v Poland (19:00 local time, Stadium 974)

26 November
Poland v Saudi Arabia (16:00 local time, Education City Stadium)

30 November
Poland v Argentina (22:00 local time, Stadium 974)

The Squad

History

Poland have appeared in 8 previous World Cups, with their most successful period coming between 1974 to 1986 which included an impressive two third place finishes:

France 1938 - Round of 16
West Germany 1974 - Third Place
Argentina 1978 - Group Stage
Spain 1982 - Third Place
Mexico 1986 - Round of 16
South Korea & Japan 2002 - Group Stage
Germany 2006 - Group Stage
Russia 2018 - Group Stage

Poland also won the gold medal at the 1972 Olympics, and followed that up with the silver medal at the 1976 Olympics. Clearly the 70's were an exciting and promising time for Polish football, but unfortunately Poland were never able to build on that success and faded into relative obscurity on the international stage for the next few decades.

Key Players

Matthew Stuart Cash (the one in the middle) was born and raised in Slough, England and joined Wycombe Wanderers at the tender age of 13. Stints at Dagenham & Redbridge and Nottingham Forest followed, before he earned himself a move to Premier League megastars Aston Villa where he cemented his place in the team as their first choice right-back. His performances in the claret and blue earned him the supporter's Player of the Year award, and an England call-up was looking more and more likely before Matty Cash finally earned his first international call-up for Poland in 2021.

Jan Kacper Bednarek has had an illustrious career, winning several games of Monopoly during his time at Southampton. Jan is currently on loan at Premier League megastars Aston Villa.

Robert Lewandowski scores goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Milik has been playing well for Juve. And Szczesny is also quite good.

Napoli has been on fire and Zielinski is part of that.

So maybe Poland will somehow be really good and live up to their potential instead of disappointing at another major tournament like usual.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Had no idea Matty Cash was Polish.
Are those Szymanski dudes brothers? If so, that's cool. Wonder how many brothers there are in this WC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think Lewandowski could drag this team to second in their group, maybe even top depending how Argentina do.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Frankston posted:

Can somebody please post in my Poland thread I spent like 20 minutes making it

Matty Cash and Jan Bednarek say Poland is going to win and I am choosing to believe them.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I did MDMA and acid for the first time earlier this year in Poland in a rave in a medieval tower and it was excellent so I hope the Polski lads do well

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I'm just happy we won't end up last in the group this time thanks to the Saudis' valiant sacrifice

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
e: double post, just like how many losses we gon get

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

goblin week posted:

I'm just happy we won't end up last in the group this time thanks to the Saudis' valiant sacrifice

We're going to lose to them, OP.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I would like Poland to NOT score 75 goals on the worst Mexican side of my lifetime, please and thank you

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
76 goals coming up. Ticket closed.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I have a dentist appointment scheduled during the match so won't be able to watch. Insert joke how it will be the less painful experience.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Lewandookie

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Poland more like slowbland

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

goblin week posted:

we’re hosed. we’re hosed. i’m so sorry

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Poland will have to hope Argentina continues to play like they don't want to be there if they want to come in (checks notes) third.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

A good win today, and hopefully a Mex - Arg draw is all that is needed

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Skleppin on to the last 16

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
lol

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Well they uh

Held on to advance.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’m lovin’ it!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Before anything happens I want to say lmao and also lol that we go further than Germany

I expect a rough beating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Pooland.