Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
WOO! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlxUErxpNvo

Yeah it's amazing what this team is achieving. I figured we had a chance against Tunisia but beating the 10th rank team is quite something.

The defence led by Souttar is just outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Well, poo poo. I have been entirely half-hearted about this world cup. gently caress FIFA, gently caress Qatar, never eaten one of those awful sandwiches. And on paper this is the weakest Australian team since the 1980s.

But Mathew Leckie is doing his every four years thing again, and gently caress!

In summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAfu5XmbpeU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Socceroos is the best nickname in the World Cup and will do the needful against Messi

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

webmeister posted:

If we avoid Argentina in the next round I think we’ve got a decent chance of progressing to the quarters

:ohdear:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
loving the absolute scenes in Fed Square:

https://twitter.com/tyson_whelan/status/1597991082922770432

https://twitter.com/AdamGMillington/status/1597994348322254856

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Gold beats silver, we will win because metallurgy is on our side.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I’m getting a footlong full of meat for lunch today, and also I’ll have some subway afterwards

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
That was sick, well done boys!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

webmeister posted:

seriouspost: given the squad and the coach i didn't expect australia to win a single match and after the big loss to france i was even gloomier. to rebound from that with two wins, two clean sheets, first time in the knockouts in 16 years, and to push one of the world's strongest sides all the way is an incredible performance

disappointed but not surprised, and honestly really proud of what we've done

Cross posting from the MDT

At least we didn’t go out like in 2006, where we bossed a superior team for 90 minutes, only to give up a ridiculously soft penalty in the last minute

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
That second goal though. Faaaaaaaark

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

webmeister posted:

Cross posting from the MDT

At least we didn’t go out like in 2006, where we bossed a superior team for 90 minutes, only to give up a ridiculously soft penalty in the last minute

Also at least we didnt play against a team with a traitorous defender who also happened to have been technically sent off twice in the one game

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

yeah the boys, best tournament we've ever had with a bunch of shitkickers

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Yeah, the second goal blooper really put a sour note on what was overall a very impressive WC run for an unfancied team

Mat Ryan sounded so dejected in the post game interview. Feel bad for the guy

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It’s so funny the contrast between you guys who are proud of your fun loving soccer guys doing a good job and, most importantly, having fun, and the majority of our USA idiots who think we should be winning the World Cup or something and are getting extremely pissy

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

It’s so funny the contrast between you guys who are proud of your fun loving soccer guys doing a good job and, most importantly, having fun, and the majority of our USA idiots who think we should be winning the World Cup or something and are getting extremely pissy

lol, you're right but I think the issue people are rightly having with the US is it feels like there's more than just a skill gap at play, given how stupidly good they are at the high press you'd expect a manager to exploit that and just spam shots and crosses and let the law of averages carry through until you get better finishers.

The Aussies on the other hand absolutely punched above their weight and if not for an absolute brainfart could well have looked a different story after 90 minutes in the round of 16 despite on paper having no right to be there. For all of Lionel Messi's Argentina's possession and chances, it was hardly a rout.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bogan Krkic posted:

yeah the boys, best tournament we've ever had with a bunch of shitkickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Ausfailia.