Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I done did it, I've played every spirit in the game (not every, or in fact most, aspects though). Made a quick tier list on the highly objective, completely uncontroversial metric of "fun to play". Discuss

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mila kunis posted:

I done did it, I've played every spirit in the game (not every, or in fact most, aspects though). Made a quick tier list on the highly objective, completely uncontroversial metric of "fun to play". Discuss

Demonstrably incorrect as Lure is only "okay."

Seriously, congratulations on playing through all the spirits. Now you gotta do it with aspects!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Sharp Fangs in meh tier. Fail

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Tired of the BoDaN slander. He may be on the weaker side but he's fun!

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The turtle and Many Minds should be up a tier, Fractured should be lower because they hurt my brain.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah if it's fun to play swap BODAN and lightning. Lightning is okay but counterintuitive, repetitive, and boring as poo poo. Bodan isn't great but they're weird and interesting

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thunderspeaker and vengeance can both be bumped up a notch or two imo. They can have pretty varied and interesting games due to how much they interact with invaders and the dahan

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Has anybody else tried the Mentor aspect of Shifting Memory? I played it with a buddy who kept gifting me card draw and ended up with a discard pile of about 20 cards despite using the mentor ability to gift from discard as often as possible. I only used the Reclaim growth option once, and when I did I had my next 3 turns on lock because I was spoiled for card choice and element matches.

And then I pulled Indomitable Claim. France 6 didn't stand a chance.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

1secondpersecond posted:

Has anybody else tried the Mentor aspect of Shifting Memory? I played it with a buddy who kept gifting me card draw and ended up with a discard pile of about 20 cards despite using the mentor ability to gift from discard as often as possible. I only used the Reclaim growth option once, and when I did I had my next 3 turns on lock because I was spoiled for card choice and element matches.

And then I pulled Indomitable Claim. France 6 didn't stand a chance.

I like Mentor, granting that extra card play can be incredible at accelerating the game if you can give the right elements at the right time, but the limited draft pool when you gain powers can really burn you. Going for a major and seeing something useless like Transform To A Murderous Darkness and Vengeance of the Dead as your two cards feels really bad! A very powerful and cool effect in exchange for having some murky RNG. With the limited card selection and importance of giving away useful picks to your teammates constantly, you can easily wind up playing with a janky hand of unwanted chaff yourself. The rest of your table needs to be on board with lending you support in exchange for the boosts. On the whole I hate the mental tax of tracking Observe the Ever Changing World so replacing that innate with absolutely anything makes the aspect a success for me.

For bonus points get Boon of Reimagining from Starlight to draw 4 gain 3.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Everyone keeps hating on WWB and that's fine, more WWB for me!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I've only played Mentor once but I didn't like it very much. Turns out picking power cards is a really fun part of the game and not getting to do that kinda sucks. I thought the minigame of which cards to give away and which to keep would be more fun but it was straightforward most of the time and since you're stuck with whatever cards you drew you're probably not giving out ideal ones anyway. Maybe it's just cause I drew badly but I remember giving away a few of my starting cards early on which doesn't really fit with what I thought the aspect would be doing. I do plan on giving it another try soon.

Funny that the post above me mentions WWB, because when I was looking at the spirits before I got the game I thought Mentor would be one of my favorites with tons of interesting choices, and I thought that WWB looked the least interesting with the lack of options in the early game. My opinion on the two has completely flipped. You have a surprising amount of variety in the first few turns just between the innates, and the power progression with the healing cards feels really good.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
I think opinions on Wounded Waters will depend on how you think about the game. Turn to turn on a tactical level, wounded waters can be really fun because you have to negotiate these really tight weak turns early on and then you get a big chain reaction engine going with really fun lategame turns where you totally dominate with big splashy turns that have a lot going on. Strategically if you think of the game as a long term big picture, you either get bad luck edge cased by situations you can't do anything about and buried in the first 4 turns or you're absolutely guaranteed to dominate and win once you wait out your weak period, which some people find really boring.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
"this spirit starts out weak....but then gets strong!!!"

yeah that's every spirit. Even if you want to take that concept to its extremes, serpent already exists and does it in a far more fun way. WWB boring

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The point is that you get to do fun things for the whole game while that happens, instead of reclaiming your aoe defend over and over until you turn into a real spirit.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Love to look at the pointlessly big numbers on my growth track after stalling all game and then reach for the instant win nuke button on my right innate only to realize the game is already over and I never got to blow my load.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
That's right. That's why it says 'objective' in that tier list.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
I chose not to read or look at the tier list post

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

I chose not to read or look at the tier list post

Wise, it's very bad.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

All spirits suck equally. Instead of playing one, I sprinkle some presence on the map, pull 3 random minors and a major and roll a die to see how much energy and card play I get each turn, as the founding fathers intended.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Wounded Waters is my go-to spirit for when ive had a bad day and need 30 min to gear shift into fun game night. Its very easy to braindead pilot the first few turns (just take blight and dgaf) and when you are ready to have fun your poo poo comes online and you can crush it.

I played a WWB and Vegance is a Burning Plague vs Haps Mining 5 the other week, I drafted some disease minors and it was just unfair how much disease we got on the board together. The only tense turn was when like 4 solo explorers got +1 damage from event, and we played through it a bit before we remembered our first event we had earned the “defend 4 in all lands once” effect and we got to ignore it (My buddy had put the reminder card aside lol)

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I typically click on the random 5-11 difficulty button, I mostly win around 5 and mostly lose at like 8 or higher. Today I decided to click the 14+ button:

I know the difficulty levels are pretty malleable and this is a good scenario for River, but this felt like a difficulty 5 game. Although, now that I think about it, I was one ravage away from dying when I pulled Irresistible Call to concentrate nearly everything into one land.

(And yes, I always play with full undo on, not so I can get information on a card draw or event and go back, but because I’m extremely likely to not even realize a power is unplayable or that it doesn’t even do what I thought it did or something stupid like that)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2024

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What's the most "you are 100% going blighted, enjoy the wilde ride" 4 spirit team? I'd imagine wildfire and vengeance would be up there but who would you add to make things as bad as possible. Gaze, bodan, trickster? Anyone else?

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 24, 2024

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Volcano Looms High blights a land at their second-highest tier of eruption (and I believe they blight all adjacent lands at the highest tier, not that I've ever used it). I guess if you want to maximise blight, you would really need Stone's Unyielding Defiance, mainly for the ability to take tokens from the box instead of the card.

The repeaters, Downpour and Sun, can also get their hands on a cheap Minor that adds blight and spam the hell out of it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tekopo posted:

Apparently I’m going to get NI in April now. Lmao, and might I add, lol
Well this wasn't entirely true, but at last I have a shipping notice and a date of the 1st of May for delivery. What a clusterfuck

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Been playing quick play on the app which means I'm seeing some scenarios, and man Rituals of Terror sucks solo. Not a huge fan of Destroying Flame either. The others seem mostly fine though Powers Long Forgotten and Guard the Isle's Heart (especially with England) can be super swingy

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

mila kunis posted:

What's the most "you are 100% going blighted, enjoy the wilde ride" 4 spirit team? I'd imagine wildfire and vengeance would be up there but who would you add to make things as bad as possible. Gaze, bodan, trickster? Anyone else?

Wildfire, Vengeance, Wounded Waters, base Shadow

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Played Wildfire a bunch and I retract my previous complaining, it's a good spirit and fun to play, really benefits from support. Even a single granted extra energy or card reclaim all game can go a long way to making it flow way better. I know you can say that about anyone but it's truer for some than others. Still don't think I'll ever play it solo again though, the event/blight card variance still feels too punishing for that. Compared to more consistent spirits you absolutely need someone else around to bail you out if your plans get derailed and you wind up with a really weak turn.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh no I played Starlight Seeks Its Form and I might have a new favorite spirit. The two games I played were a bit outlier so I need more play with it, but I find it makes the drafts incredibly interesting and you get to do them a lot and cheat your reclaims and oh my gosh i thought i would be challenging myself not finding that the stars are right

I’ll try to summarize my play experience once i get a few more games in if anyone else wants to see if they are up for it

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Fellis posted:

Oh no I played Starlight Seeks Its Form and I might have a new favorite spirit. The two games I played were a bit outlier so I need more play with it, but I find it makes the drafts incredibly interesting and you get to do them a lot and cheat your reclaims and oh my gosh i thought i would be challenging myself not finding that the stars are right

I’ll try to summarize my play experience once i get a few more games in if anyone else wants to see if they are up for it

Starlight is an incredibly cool spirit with a lot of fun viable build paths but I am completely addicted to grabbing a major turn one every time and can't bring myself to play it any other way. Planning out which major you can reliably threshold turn 2/3 for maximum carnage is my favorite optimization puzzle in the game.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

StashAugustine posted:

Been playing quick play on the app which means I'm seeing some scenarios, and man Rituals of Terror sucks solo.

Feels like half the time I click the button it puts me in Rituals or Powers on the thematic map with no Dahan on it. Like, poo poo’s hard enough without literally starting the game with fewer Dahan then it takes to actually activate the scenario conditions.

I asked the developers about adding better “random” game creation options (like, never give me thematic maps) and they basically just said to use a third party randomizer and then create the game. I get that they are a tiny studio and they are fully focused on JE implementation, but it just seems like a few tiny tweaks to things that already basically exist in the game could make a big difference in the user experience. Hell, I would settle for a button that just regenerates a new random game without having to quit and go back to the main menu.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Fellis posted:

I love drafting cards and starlight can draft cards so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So, I though that fan-made campaign mode, Spirit Archipelago, looked cool. Decided to try it out.

The first scenario is 2 of River, Lightning and Shadows, against Prussia with the blitz scenario.

I am FURIOUS