Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Problem description: I have an Acer laptop. Last year I had some issues with the battery - it wouldn't charge all the way to 100%, but it continued working fine since I left it plugged into the wall most of the time anyway, and eventually it started charging properly again and went back to 100%. I usually move it a couple of times a week to other rooms in my house and it stays on during the ~2 minutes it's unplugged and moving, until today. Today I unplugged it to move it to another room and it died completely within a couple of seconds (despite the battery saying it was fully charged) and when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't - and when I plugged it back in, it would start to boot Windows and then shut off again completely. I'm not going to move it again today, but I usually move it a couple of times a week. I don't want to make this worse, but I have no idea what the problem is or how I would go about diagnosing or fixing it.

Attempted fixes: I booted into the Acer restore thing but it was recommending I wipe and reinstall Windows, which I did not want to do. I learned how to boot in safe mode, which worked. After leaving it in safe mode and plugged in for a while (~10 minutes), and then restarting, it works normally again. But I had to unplug it again to move it back to my office, and had to go through the whole process again (boot in safe mode, leave it for 10 minutes, then restart).

Recent changes: None, besides moving it. I'm hoping that there is something I can do to further diagnose the problem, or fix it, but I am not at all knowledgeable about computer hardware and don't want to make anything worse.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit.

System specs: Acer Nitro AN515-53. Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz. RAM: 16.0 GB. No clue what else would be relevant or where I would find that info.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU