Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

:mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe:

:mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe:

Switzerland is the home of FIFA and UEFA and the International Olympic Committee so that’s not great but at least they finally started playing some good football. It’s been a long road from the 0-0 with Ukraine in the World Cup 2006 that might have been the worst match of football ever.

They’re on a pretty good run of getting out of the group stages in international tournaments but it was only last summer that they won their first knockout match (against France, it was epic, see above, :mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe:). Can they make it out of the group against Brazil, Serbia and Cameroon? Well, their group in 2018 was Brazil, Serbia and Costa Rica so maybe? That time they drew 1-1 with Brazil, then beat Serbia 2-1 with a goal in the 90th minute (plus bonus nationalism) and drew 2-2 with Costa Rica to squeak through.

Probable starting lineup (4-3-2-1)
Yann Sommer (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Sylvan Widmer (Mainz 05) Manuel Akanji (Manchester City) Nico Elvedi (Borussia Monchengladbach) Ricardo Rodriguez (Torino)
Remo Freuler (Nottingham Forest) Granit Xhaka (Arsenal)
Xherdan Shaqiri (Chicago Fire) Djibril Sow (Eintracht Frankfurt) Noah Okafor (Red Bull Salzburg)
Breel Embolo (Monaco)

Obviously, a lot depends on the form and fitness of Xhaka and Shaqiri but the team is overall pretty solid and full of international experience. It could well be the last tournament for a lot of them, some of whom won the u17 world cup in 2009.

This is the first tournament for coach Murat Yakin, who took over after last summer’s tournament. Spurs fans might remember him as the coach of Basel who knocked them out in the Europa League quarterfinal. He’s more willing to mix things up than the old coach, who was very conservative but got results. The team went undefeated through the qualifiers, which included two matches against European champions Italy :laugh:, so it seems to be working OK so far.

Anyway, as long as Yann is between the sticks, you know everything will be OK :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That France match was unbelievable and probably the best match of the tourney (and it had a bunch of really good matches!)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That was a scrappy 3 points today and now I'm finally off work to post about it. We're classic 4 point qualifiers so very good start

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

greazeball posted:

That was a scrappy 3 points today and now I'm finally off work to post about it. We're classic 4 point qualifiers so very good start

A defensive masterclass I thought to be honest. Granted it's not the best GhanaCAMEROON team we've ever seen but dealt with what was in front of you.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 25, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Boy are you Ghana be embarrassed when you read that post over in the morning :laugh:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

God dammit lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hoping that Neymar has had a very full recovery and can demand the ball and slow down play for the full match today so the good boys from Switzerland can get the win

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Reminder that we drew 1-1 with Brazil 4 years ago in the group stages so we got this

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

greazeball posted:

Reminder that we drew 1-1 with Brazil 4 years ago in the group stages so we got this

Ah well, nevertheless

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the swiss lads dont sound too upset about losing. i reckon they could have won if they wanted but they preferred not to reveal all their tricks in case they have to play brazil in the final

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Saving Shaq for the big match on Friday, big time mind games

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shaq's back today so quietly hoping for a good result. No other team news to report.

Serbia seem to be doing a lot of denying that anyone hosed anyone else's wife or girlfriend so I expect Xhaka will be winding them up about it all game :unsmigghh:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i dont know if you were watching yesterday op but it was pretty cool how the srf narrator for the germany match (salzgeber i think) was excitedly talking about how a costa rica goal would send spain out at one point and like 30 seconds later it happened and he went nuts

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

poty posted:

i dont know if you were watching yesterday op but it was pretty cool how the srf narrator for the germany match (salzgeber i think) was excitedly talking about how a costa rica goal would send spain out at one point and like 30 seconds later it happened and he went nuts

The best 3 minutes of the World cup

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Congrats to Shaq and Breel and Xhaka and the other good lads on the Nati for getting through the group!

Hopp Schwiiz!!!

Everyone was really sharp tonight and I hope they can maintain that. Vargas had his best match so far, Embolo was very impressive for the full 90 minutes and Zakaria was a really good defensive addition off the bench. Great team performance. And Xhaka the wind-up king didn't disappoint either

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

poty posted:

the srf game announcers are cool but gently caress the studio crew imho

poty
Jun 21, 2008

greazeball posted:

Congrats to Shaq and Breel and Xhaka and the other good lads on the Nati for getting through the group!

Hopp Schwiiz!!!

Everyone was really sharp tonight and I hope they can maintain that. Vargas had his best match so far, Embolo was very impressive for the full 90 minutes and Zakaria was a really good defensive addition off the bench. Great team performance. And Xhaka the wind-up king didn't disappoint either

agreed and rodriguez also had a good first half. portugal must be pooping their pants. (akanji was a bit weak imo but i guess theres nobody better to replace him)

greazeball posted:

the srf game announcers are cool but gently caress the studio crew imho

yeah the studio analysis is pretty boring compared to the bbc

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

greazeball posted:

Hopp Schwiiz!!!

Hell yah man. How was Zakaria so good tonight? He stunk it up the last few times I saw him.

gently caress Serbia

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

poty posted:

(akanji was a bit weak imo but i guess theres nobody better to replace him)

Mitro is really really good at those diagonal runs and the pass was perfectly timed. Akanji's had a pretty good tournament so far, he was really good against Cameroon for example. He probably plays better with Elvedi too, Schär is a bit of a loose cannon

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We won the grudge match, but at what price?

Now poor Luca only cries

Just melted like a stinky raclette

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i thought the dream would come true this time but sadly we fell into the trap of not having the best players in the world again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Shitzerland.