Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

abuse culture. posted:

Yank here. First time watching soccer. Just wondering why the USA players did not shoot the Wales players with a gun as is our custom

I'm pretty sure that's a yellow card and you want to avoid those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

do you turn on the television every year to hear people talk about how the dodgers have the best team to hit the most balls and you should definitely bet money you can't afford to lose on them, and then they hit zero balls and their pants also fall down while they're swinging?

also are the dodgers objectively the worst country on a continent that has both italy and portugal on it

because then yes
dunno how the country analogy breaks down but yeah pretty much

they had a young player win MVP who then dislocated his shoulder celebrating a playoff victory, he's never been the same since

oh the same guy also literally had his pants fall down on the field once too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMA098HrpDg

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 22, 2022

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

abuse culture. posted:

Belgium is what the Yankees would be if mcmagic’s idea of the Yankees was reality

Belgium are the Atlanta Braves of the 90's except they didnt even win the one championship Atlanta did

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Never quote yourself

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
nothing like quoting yourself in the world cup match day 2 thread to reiterate a spectacularly unfunny post

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Ok so which team would be my automatic rifle and which would be my handgun

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The most important thing is that in both sports you spend the whole time playing with balls.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a yellow card and you want to avoid those.

But you’re allowed two yellow cards per player. Since the American players are all armed, you can gun down the entire opposing team’s starting roster by using strategy and tactics to avoid anyone getting the dreaded Redcard

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
if you hit multiple opponents with the same bullet, that’s still only one offense I think

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm American, but I mostly post in the hockey threads.

Can some Canadian explain something to me. The box is like the blue line for offsides, right?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bea Nanner posted:

Never quote yourself

we dont obey your rules here

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

deoju posted:

I'm American, but I mostly post in the hockey threads.

Can some Canadian explain something to me. The box is like the blue line for offsides, right?

No.

There is no equivalent to the blue line in soccer. It's not static.

Offside is decided by the furthest forward defensive player and as long as the offensive player is equal or behind said defensive player when a ball is kicked, they are considered onside.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Offside is simultaneously extremely simple and also hella subjective and complex. It rules.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honestly offsides is a lot more cut and dried than the current handball rules

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
you see it's called offside because you off on the ball and off out the goal, which is on the side of the field

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

Offside is simultaneously extremely simple and also hella subjective and complex. It rules.
And VAR has only made it worse.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Big Black Dick posted:

Offside is decided by the furthest forward defensive player and as long as the offensive player is equal or behind said defensive player when a ball is kicked, they are considered onside.

Yeah, this is over-simplifying things and kinda wrong to boot.

An attacker is considered offside if, at the time that the ball is deliberately kicked or headed towards the opposing goal from the opposing half of the field by a teammate, any part of their body that could legally touch the ball is further forward than the 2nd to last member of the opposing team (only considering the length of the field for determining distance) and is involved in the play in any way by either touching the ball, influencing how the defense reacts to the ball or obstructing the defense from making a play on the ball.*

99.9% of the time you only need to check to see if there is one defender between the attacker and the goal because the goalkeeper is going to be the furthest back of anybody, but that 0.1% did pop up yesterday on the Ecuador goal that was rightfully called back where Qatari keeper pushed up to try to clear a ball but the Ecuadorian who made the assist had a shin in front of the 2nd-to-last defender, so he was offside. Most of the hand-wringing on offside calls come the ones where it's offside by a toe or a forehead (arguably made worse by the automated ones that can seemingly make a decision with millimeter accuracy, because those always seem to go against your team).

OP, that's why you'll see a ref on each sideline running up and down the length of the field but not always in line with each other. They're supposed to keep themselves in line with the 2nd-to-last player on one of the teams so that they (theoretically) have the best on-field view for ruling on offside calls.

*And now to see how many people point out that I missed something in my explanation

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

whypick1 posted:

An attacker is considered offside if, at the time that the ball is deliberately kicked or headed towards the opposing goal from the opposing half of the field by a teammate, any part of their body that could legally touch the ball is further forward than the 2nd to last member of the opposing team (only considering the length of the field for determining distance) and is involved in the play in any way by either touching the ball, influencing how the defense reacts to the ball or obstructing the defense from making a play on the ball.

Corrections:
1) deliberate play on the ball only applies to a defensive player potentially negating offside. If an offensive player “accidentally” plays the ball (for example, it rebounds off of them without their intent to play the ball), a teammate can still be called for offside from the moment of that touch.
2) the ball doesn’t have to be played toward the opposing goal. If the player in an offside position when a teammate kicked the ball comes back to play it, even if the ball moved away from goal, it’s still offside
3) “from the opposing half” is just incorrect. It can be played from any part of the field. Unless you’re trying to say the player in an offside position is not actually in an offside position if standing on their own half of the field. But that’s poorly worded if that’s what you meant
4) you forgot that it’s 2nd to last defender OR the ball, whichever is closer to the goal line. So an attacker can be standing behind the 2nd to last defender, but if the ball is kicked by a teammate from closer to the goal line than the player, then they’re not in an offside position. Maybe this is the point you were trying to state in 2)’s correction?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1. I thought there was some leeway for non-deliberate touches of the ball forward, but you're right, intent does not matter if it comes off the attacker.
2. See #4
3. Yeah, that's what I meant. Can't be offside in your own half of the field.
4. Trying to convey "can't be called offside if the ball was played square or backwards to you"

See, clear as mud!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I love how offside, like LBW in cricket, is ultimately a pretty simple concept (two opponents or the ball between you and the goal) with about a billion caveats, exceptions, clarifications and hyper specific situations.

Everyone above has forgotten the additional caveat that offside doesn't apply from goal kicks, throw-ins or corners!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

webmeister posted:

I love how offside, like LBW in cricket, is ultimately a pretty simple concept (two opponents or the ball between you and the goal) with about a billion caveats, exceptions, clarifications and hyper specific situations.

Everyone above has forgotten the additional caveat that offside doesn't apply from goal kicks, throw-ins or corners!

Ronaldinho once took advantage of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kv3ZP68lhE

Subs were coming on, so he went to the goalkeeper and asked for a bit of water, fooling the defenders into complacency, who didn't realize he wouldn't be offside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
drat that was the busiest day on TRP in years, great stuff everyone.

If you're one of the 7 million people who visited this forum yesterday for the first time and would like to know the answer to questions like 'why are draws allowed to exist', 'why can't the USA simply have more players on the pitch than Wales because they are a larger country' or 'what is coming home and why has it taken so long', I made a football/TRP Q&A thread that immediately died a death because we had 32 country threads get posted at the same time. Ask a question in there and get an honest and sometimes serious answer

Can one of the argie posters awake at whatever silly hour it is (or anyone) make a day 3 MDT please tia