Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sleepytime posted:

We're currently paying for Xfinity's superfast internet, which has a listed speed of up to 800 mbps. Speedtest says we're somewhere between 50-60 mbps. If I downgrade to a plan that's 200 mbps, do they just throttle the poo poo out of it or will I still be getting 50-60 mbps? I'm looking at other providers but nothing else is available at my address from what I can tell.

You should be getting 800mbps service and if you’re getting 50 or 60 you should continue getting that unless there’s some sort of DOCSIS channel bonding garbage that I simply don’t understand and they take away channels on lesser packages.

The best way to get support for your problems as lame as it is is the Xfinity Assistant chat bot. If you use that I believe it can schedule a tech to come out and check your setup.

Are you experiencing a lot of latency or packet loss? Once I had my own cable modem and apparently it “wore out” and I guess that’s what happens when they wear out. I personally didn’t believe the tech but it appears he was right. (Prior to this I had to explain to two technical CSRs what latency meant so I wasn’t in a mood to just believe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sanctum posted:

:lmao: Nice.
In economics we call this practice "price discrimination." A company is selectively charging customers as much as they can afford to pay. Give us as much money as you can reasonably afford or else you'll be stuck with slow internet and unable to upgrade or cancel our lovely service. Xfinity also took 20 goddamn days to get their service installed in my area, and still had the audacity to bill me for the full month. gently caress Xfinity/comcast.

Lol Comcast takes it further than that. They know that their pricing model doesn’t accommodate people below poverty thresholds so they’ll give you a massive discount if you can prove you’re getting welfare… and you haven’t been a full price comcast customer in the past 60 days.

Can’t leave those poor people nickels and dimes just sitting on the table. On the other hand its a sweet loving deal if you can qualify. Probably even worth figuring out how to cancel comcast for 60 days if you need to.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
xfinity is poo poo from an rear end. I feel like I'm one of the few people that almost never had an issue with Optimum/Altice, though.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Internet is stupid

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Internet Old One posted:

Lol Comcast takes it further than that. They know that their pricing model doesn’t accommodate people below poverty thresholds so they’ll give you a massive discount if you can prove you’re getting welfare… and you haven’t been a full price comcast customer in the past 60 days.

Can’t leave those poor people nickels and dimes just sitting on the table. On the other hand its a sweet loving deal if you can qualify. Probably even worth figuring out how to cancel comcast for 60 days if you need to.

Discounted internet for those that are on welfare is not determined by the company, but by the FCC's Affordable Connectivity Program.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Internet Old One posted:

Are you experiencing a lot of latency or packet loss? Once I had my own cable modem and apparently it “wore out” and I guess that’s what happens when they wear out. I personally didn’t believe the tech but it appears he was right. (Prior to this I had to explain to two technical CSRs what latency meant so I wasn’t in a mood to just believe)

I used to do tech support for Comcast way back in the day (what a poo poo job that was)

Yes, a cable modem will eventually stop working as good because it can’t get proper firmware, or
It can’t handle speeds, or poo poo just stops working. They’ll last a long time but if you’ve had one for a while and you’re having connection issues even direct to the modem, swap it out. I’ve swapped out my router when I’ve noticed constant connection issues as well.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
:capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism: :capitalism:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Black Stones posted:

I used to do tech support for Comcast way back in the day (what a poo poo job that was)

Yes, a cable modem will eventually stop working as good because it can’t get proper firmware, or
It can’t handle speeds, or poo poo just stops working. They’ll last a long time but if you’ve had one for a while and you’re having connection issues even direct to the modem, swap it out. I’ve swapped out my router when I’ve noticed constant connection issues as well.

I recently drove my rear end down to Micro Center and blew $200 on a new modem only to find out a few days later that lo and behold it was actually a wiring issue on Shitfinity's end. So that was 8 hours and a third of a tank of gas down the drain. (Micro Center's good about returns though)

Also if you have the technical ability you really should buy some network cards off of thinkpenguin and roll your own openbsd router. Prefab routers are usually garbage.

olives black fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 16, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

The Black Stones posted:

I get brownouts during storms and high winds, so I've invested in 2 uninterruptible power supplies and also got my modem and router from Costco so that if it lasts less than 3-4 years I will return it with no guilt, I'm sick of going through them so fast.

I also got a firewalla gold, but more to mess around with, it was not a necessary or smart purchase, but I have no regrets, my network is very solid.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 16, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Armitage posted:

xfinity is poo poo from an rear end. I feel like I'm one of the few people that almost never had an issue with Optimum/Altice, though.

same, i've had gigabit fiber with them for 2 years and had maybe 2 or 3 15-20 minute outages the whole time.

My one gripe is the fiber modem sucks rear end - they lock you out of anything more complicated than port forwarding, and the thing is hardware-locked out of putting it into bridge mode or even turning off the wifi entirely.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

same, i've had gigabit fiber with them for 2 years and had maybe 2 or 3 15-20 minute outages the whole time.

My one gripe is the fiber modem sucks rear end - they lock you out of anything more complicated than port forwarding, and the thing is hardware-locked out of putting it into bridge mode or even turning off the wifi entirely.

what the actual gently caress

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I thought about getting AT&T fiber but it's a pain to bypass their special required box to do the nerdy things I do on my network.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I thought about getting AT&T fiber but it's a pain to bypass their special required box to do the nerdy things I do on my network.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This poo poo absolutely needs to be outlawed.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

olives black posted:

This poo poo absolutely needs to be outlawed.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Speaking of poo poo that used to be illegal and should still be illegal, Xfinity just informed me they are raising prices on my plan starting 2023. I signed a contract at a fixed price for 2 years and Xfinity can just increase that monthly price to whatever they want, contract be damned. AND they still get to charge me with cancellation fees if I don't like their new prices.

Corporate monopolies delenda est :guillotine:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sanctum posted:

Speaking of poo poo that used to be illegal and should still be illegal, Xfinity just informed me they are raising prices on my plan starting 2023. I signed a contract at a fixed price for 2 years and Xfinity can just increase that monthly price to whatever they want, contract be damned. AND they still get to charge me with cancellation fees if I don't like their new prices.

Capitalism delenda est :guillotine:

minor fix for yah but :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

My internet stopped working today, then I discovered that the auto-pay I setup when I subscribed to this garbage mysteriously disappeared from my account—so, Xfinity was not only overcharging me, but also trying to add late fees on top of that. Had to spend a couple hours on the phone on goddamn Christmas Eve to get that fixed.

What the gently caress Xfinity? I hate you so much.