Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

There's a whole spectrum of light to experience through the magic of technology!

Infrared:

Infrared has a lot of applications too, from security to heat-seeing to night vision to astronomy!

There are special filters and/or special film that will either let IR light in and/or block colored light or will let you false-color your images with IR.

Ultraviolet:

UV photography also has special filters or films available, but it seems to require more specialized equipment or modifications to your camera more of the time.
You can either just let the UV in as white or false-color the image by mapping the different wavelengths to colors.

It also has a lot of applications in things like forensics and astronomy.

There is also UV fluorescence where an ultraviolet light causes visible light to be induced:

In this case, you're more limited to what you can get under a blacklight and what actually fluoresces, but you don't need to modify your camera or buy anything special, as far as I can tell.

Has anyone here taken any photographs outside the visible spectrum? What did you do to your camera to let you take them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Cool thread. I've never taken any shots worth sharing, but you can convert a crappy action camera into an IR camera just by removing the lens and popping off the IR cut filter (its a little square piece of glass, see below). Bonus, if you don't screw the lens back in enough it becomes a macro lens so you can take pictures of neat bugs.

Results may not be great (and if you're thinking of using it for night vision, you're gonna need a powerful IR flashlight), but it's a fun thing to do with a camera if you don't use it anymore.

Behold: my backyard (with a poorly-adjusted lens oops)

Edit: here's another orange tree turned pink through the magic of invisible light

Friend fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 29, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nice thread, I look forward to seeing more. I need to shoot some IR film some time, looks like a great time.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Matthieu Stern did a video series about this that got me interested in this but the price is a bit rough
https://youtu.be/apLBMlTQwJc
https://kolarivision.com/
I think this thread could benefit from like... posts about getting this effect in post if you're more interested interested in the aesthetic, even though it won't be the same

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It doesn't have to be expensive. You can buy an old camera body to convert for $100 or so, and IR filters are $50 to $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

TheLastManStanding posted:

It doesn't have to be expensive. You can buy an old camera body to convert for $100 or so, and IR filters are $50 to $100.

If you can live with the locked f/2 aperture, 5 megapixels, >1/30sec exposure time, Sony Cybershot DSC F-707, F-717, (both will take any 58mm thread-on filter) and some others will do "Night Shot" mode where a solenoid flips the hot mirror out of the way, and if you're lucky you can find them for $50 fairly often.

I have a DSC-V3 as well, but the batteries and the special filter adapter tubes are expensive, and I've mostly been shooting a F707 with an aliexpress 950nm filter lately, which is definitely a sub-$100 setup.

e: here's two examples from the weekend, visiting the unreleasable ravens at the wildlife recovery center.

klezmer life yo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 10, 2023