Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I bought tickets to a band playing in Helsinki at the endish of May, so it looks like im heading to Finland. (From Australia)

I will probably spend a week there.

Other than seeing the band i would like to do the midnight sun thing, so heading up to Lapland seems like it will also be on the cards.

Person im going with wants to see the Husky's at Santas village.

So tell me about Finland in May and what we can do. Is the santa clause express worth using? Should we fly back down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
I was just in Finland this past September and had a great time. Do you have a preference for nature or cities? My buddy and I spent 2-3 days in Helsinki which was overkill, Helsinki is like a bogstandard European city, it wasn't too special. The most interesting things IMO opinion was taking the boat out to Suomenlina, an old Swedish/Russian fort off the coast of Helsinki. English is spoken everywhere so that's not an issue.

I took a day trip on a ferry to Porvoo and then bused it back, it was an interesting town outside of Helsinki but not worth it if you only have a week there. We then flew up to Rovaniemi, which is the gateway to Lapland/the Artic Circle and rented a car, which wasn't too expensive, cheaper than the U.S. We then visited 4 national parks, just hiking all day. Pyha-Luosto kansallispuisto and Lemmenjoen kansallispuisto were the highlights (I can give you more details about specific hike recommendations) but it was all beautiful up in the north. You can camp for free and they have huts stocked with massive piles of wood in each park.

We also took the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn which takes 2 hours and is like 50 bucks round trip. Tallinn definitely has a more medieval and different feel than Helsinki and you could explore most of it in like 4-5 hours.

For food in Helsinki, if you are into boogie tasting menus, we went to a two Michelin star restaurant called Ravintola OLO, which was really good and not too expensive as far as European restaurants go. If you are up in Lapland, definitely get a reindeer steak at some point.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to know more about anything in particular.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

That sounbds pretty good.

Thinking of taking the overnight train up to lapland, then flying back down. even though its longer and more expensive. But then i guess we can say we have done a euopean train ride. WIll hopefully fleshing out more of what to do after xmas.