Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Wendigee posted:

Is it true that as an elderly millennial, 80-90 kids are the last to understand how computers work inside and out as well as operating and file systems?

I find that very hard to believe.

I keep catching snippets that "the kids these days" only use tablets and phones and have no idea how to even navigate or troubleshoot an actual computer.

The article is always about how that's going to cause a gap in skilled computer touchers. I find that hilariously appropriate but also kind of sad.

College adjunct, teach freshman. They dont know how a file system works and have to be walked through attaching an email at the beginning of the semester.
Other than that, zoomers are pretty cool folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Flinger posted:

Late gen x and early millenials: watched good simpsons when it aired
prime millenials: watched the reruns and learned which are the good seasons from the former
gen z: steamed hams

https://youtu.be/QG5UcLvj-Ic

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Omnitrix posted:

College adjunct, teach freshman. They dont know how a file system works and have to be walked through attaching an email at the beginning of the semester.
Other than that, zoomers are pretty cool folks.

:crossarms:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Phones are better computers than computers anyway

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Is there a millennial civil war going on?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Millennials and zoomers are natural enemies. Like millennials and boomers. Or millennials and gen Xers. Or millennials and other millennials. drat millennials, they ruined the millennium!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vulture posted:

Is there a millennial civil war going on?

The Great Left Twix/Right Twix War of 2022.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

emSparkly posted:

Millennials and zoomers are natural enemies. Like millennials and boomers. Or millennials and gen Xers. Or millennials and other millennials. drat millennials, they ruined the millennium!

I'm not sure anyone really cares about Gen X. Which is harsh, but fair.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neglected and unstructured enough that we all want validation and reassurance for every single fart, burp, and successful toilet run we make

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not sure anyone really cares about Gen X. Which is harsh, but fair.

If they're cool they might get lumped in with millenials, if they're not cool they're indistinguishable from a boomer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

If they're cool they might get lumped in with millenials, if they're not cool they're indistinguishable from a boomer.

I'm too boring and milquetoast to fit either one of those descriptions.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
aka a boomer

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Gears of war had boomers ipso fatso they’re good

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just kidding, I'm actually very interesting. You just wouldn't know it from my posting.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m a cool Gen Xer :cool:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Playing Pokémon heartgold in 2022 onwards, how mill. is that activity

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Knowledge is power and the knowledge of file systems will allow us to rule over zoomers forever like the boomers rule over us. Never give up that knowledge willingly and lightly

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I would often break Microsoft windows and then have to fix it.

Sometimes I would delete everything on the wrong hard drive (The one with the operating system) by selecting the wrong drive and try to recover the data because I had no backups. Trying to repair a boot partition or mbr with gparted or command line partition tools when the windows ones wouldn't work.

I caught the famous MSblast worm and when the removal tool couldn't get rid of my mutant variant I found the registry entries and removed the files in command line DOS by hand.
Removing them in windows would just have them reappear.

My family was handed down grandpa's apple ii and I grew up with that and windows 3.1 onward and know most basic Linux stuff up to almost installing Gentoo, raspberry pi stuff and now steam deck.

I took computer technology at a "tech center" in high school and some college on CCNA networking but I already knew most of it.

Hell I even built our 2nd Microsoft PC (that wasn't a hand me down) when I was like 7-9 years old

I've never worked in IT but I keep abreast of a lot of it and even the Linux thread in yospos.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 14, 2022

naem
May 29, 2011

Flinger posted:

Late gen x and early millenials: watched good simpsons when it aired
prime millenials: watched the reruns and learned which are the good seasons from the former
gen z: steamed hams

https://youtu.be/AVJr5oOglRU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ianskate posted:

{S duckjob.wav

I’ll go get you a towel.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I'm still confused about what I am. I have been told that the millennial generation starts at somewhere between 1979 and 1983. Also what month does it start in?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

looks like AI will be replacing computer touchers soon anyway.. if it can write code it can do my job lol

my manager will be running it from his iphone in 5 years and be 20 years younger than me and have no idea what a file system is

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm still confused about what I am. I have been told that the millennial generation starts at somewhere between 1979 and 1983. Also what month does it start in?

Same but I'm a 1993 baby

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Violet_Sky posted:

Same but I'm a 1993 baby

maybe, and, I'm just spitballin' here, generations are bullshit. It might just be a marketing tool that was co-opted by politics for nefarious reasons

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm still confused about what I am.

Sounds pretty millenialish to me

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Sounds pretty millenialish to me

ok fine. I'd be GenX if I said I didn't care what I was

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Oh cool discussion over where the lines are is never tedious bait

Here's something actually good if you haven't gotten around to it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSCrg_qMI1s

This movie is more Millennial than a Buzzfeed Article on things you miss about your childhood.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TV commercials with a number you could text for awesome ringtones.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Commercials for ringtones where one option was just an extra long vibration pattern and it was marketed "for the ladies :biglips:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Chief McHeath posted:

TV commercials with a number you could text for awesome ringtones.
As a tech savvy millennial I never bought a ringtone when I could just use a ripped genesis BGM or something and use that instead.