Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I actually think this needs its own thread. This has been plaguing laptops I deal with for years now and it's about time we put pressure on MS to fix the drat thing. Issue: sleep a modern laptop, and the thing will randomly come back on and cook itself to death, especially when put in a bag or backpack... nevermind draining the battery to zero. I've tried disabling S0 sleep using registry entries recently on a few laptops and it didn't work. The things would not come back out of sleep mode. The fact that windows users have to either hibernate or flat out do a shutdown just to use their computer is not acceptable.
Yes, its a Linus video, but its a good one and tells the tale better than me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKKcd3sx2c&t=323s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, this has happened to me several times and sucks rear end

I ended up switching to hibernate only

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TwoDice posted:

Thats my go to at the moment.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TwoDice posted:

Maybe this is why it never happens to me, I'm an always hibernate kind of guy

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

HalloKitty posted:

Maybe this is why it never happens to me, I'm an always hibernate kind of guy

I put my laptop to sleep while it's connected to a dock/power and I've never seen this, so there's probably something else going on besides the analysis in the video

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The first pinned comment on that video is someone claiming to work for MS saying they validated with a PowerShell script to log network traffic; sleep while plugged in, then unplug, networking stays up. Sleep while not plugged in, no networking.

From there I guess it's just luck as to whether you hit a windows update when sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Disclaimer: I'm a Software Engineer at Microsoft, but I do not work on the OS team. I'm only here as a viewer who is subscribed to the channel. I decided to test out your guys hypothesis and I was able to reproduce it! I setup a test where I had a laptop running Windows Powershell listening on a port while connected to power. Every time a client connected, I would print the time at which the connection was made. From another PC, I would send a packet to that laptop and see the message being printed out. I then put the laptop to sleep, and after five seconds I would send another packet to the laptop. I then waited a minute and resumed the laptop from sleep.

The following behavior would change depending on whether or not the laptop was connected to power while going to the Sleep S0 state:

- If the laptop was connected to power when I hit "Sleep", after resuming from Sleep I would see the powershell window with the messages printed out with the time at which the laptop was asleep
- If the laptop was NOT connected to power when I hit "Sleep", after resuming from Sleep I would see the powershell window with NO messages printed out
- The above behavior would not change independently of what I did with the power cable DURING sleep - that is, even if I removed the power cable during sleep, then sent new packets, after resuming from sleep (with the power cable still disconnected) I would see the messages printed out, meaning the laptop was S0 Network Connected even on battery. Bug reproduced. Btw, the opposite happens if I connect the laptop to power during S0 sleep (no messages are printed).

I will try to contact the OS team with your findings and my test setup :)
Thanks guys! This is great investigative journalism!

OK bug found, lets see what happens.