Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The merits of it as a platform aren't awful. Cool graphics and music though.

Might finally beat the SNES Zelda game that I never owned as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Banjo kazooie was great. Banjo tooie oddly enough wasn't as fun. Dk64 was a slog.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Banjo Tooie

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

absolutely perfect dark. if for no other reason than because of management forgetting that the project existed so the developers just went NUTS with it for years before finally releasing it. the amount of customization you can do in the multiplayer compared to anything else at the time is incredible. there’s no way a game like that could ever be released if management were actually paying attention. they’d reach about a quarter of the content and it’d be declared ‘good enough’ and shipped

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Tarkus posted:

Banjo kazooie was great. Banjo tooie oddly enough wasn't as fun. Dk64 was a slog.

It's like with Tooie they went with the "Bigger = Better" mentality and it just kind of made it messy. I think part of why the first is remembered fondly is because the level and gameplay design is so much more tight. Each level is designed around a central location, so you never feel lost, there aren't a million different moves for minor situations, and with one exception, there's no backtracking, so you usually have all you need to beat a level. With Tooie, there are basically 5 playable characters, if you include the transformations, Mumbo, and B + K split up, plus there's a ton of backtracking and traveling on the train inbetween levels to open new stuff, it's kind of a headache to keep track of it all. There are some jiggies that require you to do stuff in like 3 different levels. Most of the levels are either big wastelands or mazes that are easy to get lost in, so backtracking is even harder because you can't immediately place where that one specific character you had to return to help was even located.

DK64 took this game design and was like, "More! MORE!"

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
It's DKC2, OP

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's like with Tooie they went with the "Bigger = Better" mentality and it just kind of made it messy. I think part of why the first is remembered fondly is because the level and gameplay design is so much more tight. Each level is designed around a central location, so you never feel lost, there aren't a million different moves for minor situations, and with one exception, there's no backtracking, so you usually have all you need to beat a level. With Tooie, there are basically 5 playable characters, if you include the transformations, Mumbo, and B + K split up, plus there's a ton of backtracking and traveling on the train inbetween levels to open new stuff, it's kind of a headache to keep track of it all. There are some jiggies that require you to do stuff in like 3 different levels. Most of the levels are either big wastelands or mazes that are easy to get lost in, so backtracking is even harder because you can't immediately place where that one specific character you had to return to help was even located.

Exactly, someone gets it, Tooie is trainwreck of backtracking and it bogs the whole experience down.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Ivan Stewart off road

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

mst4k posted:

Ivan Stewart off road

Lol this is the one game I rented where I immediately went back to the video store to return it and get a different one

e: Where I was it was just titled Super Off Road. I mean, just look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u41Im1M3PpU&t=76s

Any game where you're "racing" with this top-down view is absolute trash tier

Futanari Damacy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 10, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

sigher posted:

Exactly, someone gets it, Tooie is trainwreck of backtracking and it bogs the whole experience down.

I don't even mind some backtracking in games, but it's the amount of backtracking combined with the bad level design that makes it a chore in BT. BK is designed alot like Disneyland, where no matter where you are, you know the giant castle is in the center, only it's like a giant robot shark or snowman or boat or haunted house. Terrydactyland in BT is a giant brown wasteland where everything looks the same and it just sort of sprawls out. The Mine, Grunty Industries, and Lagoon are all just weird confusing mazes where you're like, "Ok, I have a new move where I have to come back and jump really far to reach that platform in that one room where a Jinjo is...now where the hell is that room?" Most of the challenge of Industries and Cuckooland comes from having to split up and then figuring out how to navigate the level without your full moveset, which turns out is just tedious and not very fun.

I could probably draw you a fairly accurate map of most of the levels in BK just from memory. Good luck doing that with BT.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

Lol this is the one game I rented where I immediately went back to the video store to return it and get a different one

e: Where I was it was just titled Super Off Road. I mean, just look at this poo poo:

It's actually incredible if you grew up playing with RC cars, as was the trend of the time.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Agreeing with everything on this page about BK and BT. BK is imo as close to a perfect game as I have ever played and its just due to the level design. Theres hardly any extra fat on that game, everything is just as large and spaced out as it needs to be. I liked BT a lot more when I was a kid (I thought Terrydactyland was really cool) and I like the idea of level interconnected-ness and character swaps and stuff but it does drag the game down with how big the levels are like others have said. Still a good game but not a patch on BK.

Anyway, my list is this:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Diddy Kong Racing
3. Conkers Bad Fur Day

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

satanic splash-back posted:

It's actually incredible if you grew up playing with RC cars, as was the trend of the time.

I had RC cars, specifically a Tyco offroad track, plus slot cars, Hot Wheels with the launch loops and all that jazz- and Super Off Road is a sterile experience in terms of both racing and a video game. Rock n Roll Racing is a better game. So is Stunt Race FX. Super Mario Kart is a masterpiece by comparison! There's nothing "incredible" about it! :mad:

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Knight Lore was the best game they made (under any incarnation, since they weren't called Rare at the time).

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Futanari Damacy posted:

Dude, you literally just jump over the cart off the cliff into a hidden barrel and it shoots you directly to the end of the level

Wtf I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Chrs posted:

Wtf I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6D9jKbHLCk

e: Oh wait, Mine Cart Madness is the one that comes later, where you're jumping out of the cart as opposed to with it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

The main problem here is the snes game is a bad port of the really good arcade cabinet

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Exactly, the arcade was 3 player VS with actual steering wheels and pedals.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
The arcade version existing doesn't make the SNES version better by association. I feel like arcades are mostly only familiar to people born before 1980- I'm trying to imagine a situation where I would have ended up at an arcade as a preadolescent, and have disposable income to my name- my parents would have said "you have loving video games at home" and beyond that I probably would be saving my money for- an actual video game to play on a console.

Ports are no excuse for a dip in quality- if you can't pull it off, don't bother at all. You know what is a console port that just justice to its arcade version? Daytona USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pls6OyJpCWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I got free 1-ups by moving my shooze on the carpet and then placing my quarter near the slot repeatedly.