Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Parity warning posted:

i didn't watch the match or highlights but it looks like southgate put on grealish as a time wasting sub while down a goal in a world cup knockout match, can any fine posters confirm

he did lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

i see moh salah had a penalty saved today. is this the thread where i patronizingly suggest how england could field their adopted son?

in a sincere turn, i do wish Egypt were at the WC this year. the CAF is ridiculously harsh with it's qualifying format: only the first out of 4 team groups go on to home/away head-to-heads. i wonder how that will change at the CUM cup

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I mean

He doesn't slip

he knows where the goal is

what is he doing

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I mean

He doesn't slip

what is he doing

Tried to adjust because Lloris moved perhaps?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Elliptical Dick posted:

Tried to adjust because Lloris moved perhaps?

Yeah this I think. Was going to put it in the same place as the first one, saw Lloris moving that way and thought "poo poo, better put a bit more sauce on it" and overdid it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

sebzilla posted:

Yeah this I think. Was going to put it in the same place as the first one, saw Lloris moving that way and thought "poo poo, better put a bit more sauce on it" and overdid it.

Yeah it's 100% this. He's aiming for the same spot (his left, halfway up), gets halfway through the swing and sees Lloris guessing correctly. But because he's a "just welly it" penno taker, he can't adjust his aim enough and sends it miles over.

I was kinda surprised Kane took either of them tbh. Of literally every goalkeeper on earth, Lloris would've faced more Kane penalties than anyone else, so you'd think they'd give it to someone else who Lloris doesn't know so well. But at the same time, he's the captain and the designated taker, so he should be taking them.

And of course, if someone else had stepped up and missed, it'd be "why wasn't Kane taking it?!?!?!?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He should have swung his foot over the top and then pirouetted to do a flashy backheel into the opposite corner.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

https://i.imgur.com/jl12R6l.mp4

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I mean

He doesn't slip

what is he doing

87th minute. He was gassed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

There not being a single good English manager is kinda funny

Yup. It's 30 years since an English manager won the league, and even that broke a 4 year streak of Scots managers winning it.

lol, lmao, etc.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

goatface posted:

He should have swung his foot over the top and then pirouetted to do a flashy backheel into the opposite corner.

He probably should have kicked the ball into the goal

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's that kind of limited thinking that prevents opportunities for comedy.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Mbappe looks like a Yue Minjun painting inthis clip

scourgeofthe7bees fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 12, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Mbappe looks like a Yue Minjun painting inthis clip

Just looked this guy up and lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Yup. It's 30 years since an English manager won the league, and even that broke a 4 year streak of Scots managers winning it.

lol, lmao, etc.

This is a true stat but also a bit misleading because only 11 managers have won the league in that time, and only 4 of them have won it more than once. Fergie winning it 13 times really skews all the stats. It certainly does speak to the top clubs hiring managers from outside England, so if you assume top clubs know what they're doing (which you shouldn't) then you conclude that non-English managers are somehow superior to English ones (which is very likely true at least historically, given the different level of tactical knowledge drilled into coaches and managers in England versus elsewhere). But that's a hard conclusion to prove with stats like this because English managers at top clubs are very rare, so it's hard to make accurate comparisons.

If we look at the current top six English clubs, Arsenal haven't had any English managers in the PL era, Chelsea's three English managers in the PL era are Glenn Hoddle (1993-96), Frank Lampard (2019-21), and Graham Potter (2022-present), Liverpool's two are Roy Evans (1994-98) and Roy Hodgson (2010-11), Manchester City had a string of English managers in the 90s and 2000s but none since the Abu Dhabi takeover, Manchester United haven't had any English managers in the PL era, and Spurs have had Doug Livermore (1992-93), Gerry Francis (1994-97), Glenn Hoddle (2001-3), Harry Redknapp (2008-12), and Tim Sherwood (2013-14).

Let's be clear a lot of those managers are crap but there still just haven't been very many English managers who even had a chance to win the league by being in charge of a club with adequate resources and good enough players. Probably the only two you could say that was true of are Fat Frank and Graham Potter, and while one of them is a proven fraud the jury's still out on the other.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that post should really be big 6

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if he hit the exact same peno the second time lloris wasn’t getting near it anyway

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
don't forget money mason for spurs (2020)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nigel Pearson could have won the league with Leicester, he just needed more time

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just looked this guy up and lmao

Same. Creepy as heck, but Google says he graduated from Hebei Normal U.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Loads of countries have foreign managers, England should just hire Alex Neil or something

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Loads of countries have foreign managers, England should just hire Alex Neil or something

Nah, countries should all have their manager choices restricted by the same eligibility criteria as players. Makes no sense to say "this is the English team for English people" and then get Sven or FabCap in to manage.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Nah, countries should all have their manager choices restricted by the same eligibility criteria as players. Makes no sense to say "this is the English team for English people" and then get Sven or FabCap in to manage.

Herve Renard for France manager

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd completely forgotten capello managed England

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Getting in my time machine to post 'crapello' after every England game

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Getting in my time machine to post 'crapello' after every England game

flabio crapello

or fraudio?

come on guys we've only got -15 years to workshop this

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

I'd completely forgotten capello managed England

Despite being there for 5 years he only managed them at the 2010 World Cup.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

flabio crapello

or fraudio?

come on guys we've only got -15 years to workshop this

You know the real answer for what we would have rivals.com'd his first name into 15 year ago.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Despite being there for 5 years he only managed them at the 2010 World Cup.

Not his fault the euros were cancelled in 2008

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

You know the real answer for what we would have rivals.com'd his first name into 15 year ago.

My woke 2022 brain didn't even consider it. Thanks, Southgate.

Thouthgate

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
England should hire Jason Sudeikis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Shrapnig posted:

Lol times have indeed changed