Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
It is my understanding that only Germany and Luxembourg still capitalize all nouns. Can someone explain to me why we did this seemingly randomly in the U.S. for 150 years, but never before and never after? One example of many from the Declaration of Independence:

"He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

the Monks that made all this poo poo up got bored easily

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

fyad was more influential than most people realize

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

grellgraxer posted:

It is my understanding that only Germany and Luxembourg still capitalize all nouns. Can someone explain to me why we did this seemingly randomly in the U.S. for 150 years, but never before and never after? One example of many from the Declaration of Independence:

"He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures."
"standing" is not a noun as used here

but "legislatures" is, and it's not capitalized
and "times" and "peace"

there's something more going on here..................

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Cubone posted:

"standing" is not a noun as used here

but "legislatures" is, and it's not capitalized
and "times" and "peace"

there's something more going on here..................

Yeah, I took German, there are no inconsistencies.

Your argument has no merit, OP.

This reads more like a Trump tweet.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
YoU wRiTe LiKe ThIs ToO iTs FuN lIKe On MySpAcE

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's code

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

gently caress You.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
It's even worse in the Constitution. All this weird capitalization seemed to go away by the 19th century.

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
bell hooks :argh:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

grellgraxer posted:

we speak american here, calm down buddy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's an easy tell that someone got a hosed up brain. Very used imo.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's because when you Capitalize things it makes them seem Important and Distinctive

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also it was probably fun to write big capital letters with those feathered quills they had back then so they were looking for opportunities to sneak them in

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's really fun to write that way to be honest

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's a very boomer way of typing, I thought we wanting to start attracting younger demographics

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
It's called "Capitalism" and it's not as popular as it used to be.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it's really fun to write that way to be honest

I think you went overboard with your use of uppercase letters, AARD VARKMAN

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mozi posted:

it's because when you Capitalize things it makes them seem Important and Distinctive

The most likely explanation.

And they likely didn't have many printing presses willing to do the work to buy and place the bold font back in the day. Just capitalize the word for emphasis so even the cheapest printing house can print it correctly.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when my mom forwards me political emails, they're written like that

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's a secret code. If you look at all the capital letters in the Declaration of Independence it reads "SUCK MY BALLS".

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

It's a secret code. If you look at all the capital letters in the Declaration of Independence it reads "SUCK MY BALLS".

Do you really think people sucked balls back in the 18th century sucked balls? Had the technique even been invented yet?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They would Capitalize words each Time they would take a Sip of lean while Writing, was Easier than Trying to hold Count

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Smugworth posted:

Do you really think people sucked balls back in the 18th century sucked balls? Had the technique even been invented yet?
Benjamin Franklin was a pioneer in many fields

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Foxfire_ posted:

Benjamin Franklin was a pioneer in many fields

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No

Furthermore, Gas Thread, Ban OP

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I will sometimes capitalize nouns in emails for work if they are the reason I am emailing about, or if I want to emphasize their importance.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mozi posted:

grellgraxer posted:

:hmmyes:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I still do this with random poo poo and I have no clue where the gently caress I picked it up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I like it as it’s a subtle way of showing how Comedically Petty I Can Be (which is a lot)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
They were just capitalizing words that they wanted people to pay more attention to. It's like a classier version of using all caps.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Standing Armies was a name, OP. The colonists hated that guy.

Consent capitalized is just a mistake, though.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

it was hard to do bold letters with ink and quill so they just capitalized important words.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
words weird reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

grellgraxer posted:

It's even worse in the Constitution. All this weird capitalization seemed to go away by the 19th century.

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

That's just regular modern German capitalization. Dude was German. Dunno what's going on in your first though. Maybe botulism?

Supposedly there aresome studies that show that capitalization in German improves reading & text comprehension speed. It's like meta information that helps your brain parse the text and avoid ambiguity. Dunno if it's true cause how would you even get a control group for something like that