Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

xzzy posted:

VCV rack is probably the most appropriate tool though.

I agree and almost said something like this but also I am a newbie and think that modular has loving broken my brain. I didn't even think about Bespoke and if OP happens to know Python that might be a very solid approach.

VCV rack with n oscillators is the funny, and also "conceptually easy" approach, given an understanding of the basic vco -> vca <- ADSR path. Which was not a thing I could have explained to you at all a year and a half ago even though I'd owned a 0coast for 4 years at that point :laugh:

I spent an hour of a car ride yesterday making horrible turing noises with MiRack on iPad and then trying to add enough modulation to it to make it listenable for me. With moderate succes, and also now I want like 3 modules which don't even physically exist (and I gave the MiRack shithead $15, yea *sigh*)

e: if i get some time later i am gonna try to just build a VCV rack that does what OP wants it sounds fun and like an okay basis for a number of generative ambient patches which is, you know, a thing I enjoy not only making but even listening to other people's meandering 8 hour patches!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Newf posted:

The desired effect is *kind of* emerging, but it's ruined by some ugly beat-like artifacts that come on when several of these oscillators play simultaneously (especially the higher ones).

Anyone know a reason why web browser synth producing many layered octaves would sound... not nice? EG, if I play some low Cs and high Cs together on the piano there are no ugly emergent artifacts.

sanity check here - I'd 100% expect stacking oscillators of the same note/different octaves as you talk about (even just sins) to have some kind of beat effect as periods line up. thats what oscillators do, they create periodic change. you're not gonna get that w/ a physical piano cause the way the notes are produced is so different, and honestly its unlikely that the piano is still playing octaves as perfect as a web synth unless you had it tuned like yesterday

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

JamesKPolk posted:

sanity check here - I'd 100% expect stacking oscillators of the same note/different octaves as you talk about (even just sins) to have some kind of beat effect as periods line up. thats what oscillators do, they create periodic change. you're not gonna get that w/ a physical piano cause the way the notes are produced is so different, and honestly its unlikely that the piano is still playing octaves as perfect as a web synth unless you had it tuned like yesterday

Happy for second opinions, but stacking octaves is the particular case where beats aren't expected.

Take two equivalent oscillators. Stack them perfectly aligned, and you'll get the same oscillator with double amplitude. Stack them perfectly out of sync and you'll get silence. Anything in between gives some other wave interference pattern that repeats exactly with the same frequency as the original oscillators.

Oscillators that are power-of-two multiples of one another have the same thing going on - the interference pattern between them is periodic on the period of the lowest frequency.

Beats are an artifact from when oscillators don't line up well with each other.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I agree and almost said something like this but also I am a newbie and think that modular has loving broken my brain. I didn't even think about Bespoke and if OP happens to know Python that might be a very solid approach.

Wish I'd seen that earlier. I'm much happier to be using a text editor in any language than a gui with knobs. Haven't you heard? GPT fills out the particulars now in whatever language - you just need to give it sensible suggestions.

Here's my first pass with the online editor for faust. Fun so far :)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Newf posted:

Wish I'd seen that earlier. I'm much happier to be using a text editor in any language than a gui with knobs. Haven't you heard? GPT fills out the particulars now in whatever language - you just need to give it sensible suggestions.

Here's my first pass with the online editor for faust. Fun so far :)
I'm struck by how strongly opposite to this preference I feel personally.
Give me a dial and slider over a keyboard any day.
Sincere good for you, though!
:cheersbird:

I think what you may be re imagining from first principles is a drawbar organ?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 27, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dials are definitely fun from an experimentation perspective but I am completely incapable of "performing" a song and I need sequences and rigid code to do it for me. I'm happiest setting up automations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

xzzy posted:

Dials are definitely fun from an experimentation perspective but I am completely incapable of "performing" a song and I need sequences and rigid code to do it for me. I'm happiest setting up automations.

i just like being slightly to very much under the influence of cannabis and floating inside a sonic soup I am controlling

if the result of this is something I enjoy listening to ex post facto, that's just gravy.

I'm not a musician, though, any more than I am a lumberjack: just a guy who bought a bunch of oscillators and chainsaws.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Newf posted:

Wish I'd seen that earlier. I'm much happier to be using a text editor in any language than a gui with knobs.

the o.g. solution is csound

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

2 weeks off work and the first 2 verses and outro all just went together perfectly. back at work for 2 weeks and I've been struggling with the third verse the whole time. besides robbing me of my surplus labor work is also robbing me of the energy and creativity to make, well, anything. still needs a few more samples and some mix magic. I want to throw down some vocals. reaper has a text file import for lyrics so you can keep everything together in one file.

I originally wanted to do this on the rs7000 but didn't really have the patience for it. but I did record the 1 bar drum beat off the rs7000 with the outputs extra noisy. samples are from barton fink, a youtube upload of 1991 radio surfing and wanda dee's to the bone

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/jus...=social_sharing

e: this tuning

https://en.xen.wiki/w/Nestoria17

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my reaper project file corrupted. I think I have everything except the third verse and some of the transition stuff from an old save, but I'm gonna have to rip the 3rd verse from a render.

I had just gotten the lyrics written too

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's something better than the neighbor mowing to listen to
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/kickin-jam

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

good work man. I spent all day fixin' my 'puter. someone's gotta keep the beats flowing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, loosing a bunch of work on a project and tearing apart and putting back together a computer is nostalgic as all hell.

so is restarting a project because a sampler isn't really up to snuff.

lol, nostalgia sucks

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

man, loosing a bunch of work on a project and tearing apart and putting back together a computer is nostalgic as all hell.

so is restarting a project because a sampler isn't really up to snuff.

lol, nostalgia sucks

I know that feeling.

oh no, oh poo poo, no, that was the wrong button, gently caress!!!!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if I turn my computer off I have to wait an hour for it to cool down or discharge or whatever before I can turn it back on again. I did not miss poo poo like that but I also never really anticipated it being viable to use the same computer for so long that parts wear out

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Cabbages and Kings posted:

VCV rack with n oscillators is the funny, and also "conceptually easy" approach, given an understanding of the basic vco -> vca <- ADSR path. Which was not a thing I could have explained to you at all a year and a half ago even though I'd owned a 0coast for 4 years at that point :laugh:

I spent an hour of a car ride yesterday making horrible turing noises with MiRack on iPad and then trying to add enough modulation to it to make it listenable for me. With moderate succes, and also now I want like 3 modules which don't even physically exist (and I gave the MiRack shithead $15, yea *sigh*)

e: if i get some time later i am gonna try to just build a VCV rack that does what OP wants it sounds fun and like an okay basis for a number of generative ambient patches which is, you know, a thing I enjoy not only making but even listening to other people's meandering 8 hour patches!

Mention of knowing python has me intrigued.. what could someone do with that vst if they knew python?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Depends on whether they actually have any ideas.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Of course! But having looked it up more, the ideas would fit better into some of the midi file creation libraries in python, which I could then send to my hardware synth to mess with.

The potential of getting into editing the synthesise bit with code is tantalising but just doubles up what I've got on the minilogue XD really.

I could do with something that generates chord progressions and melodies for when I'm too tired to think in the evenings but still want to play something.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yah could use a turing machine https://youtu.be/-Q6dXbtNh0Qand a harmonàig for that https://youtu.be/SjMxhkyJtGI

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 26, 2023

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

B33rChiller posted:

Yah could use a turing machine https://youtu.be/-Q6dXbtNh0Qand a harmonàig for that https://youtu.be/SjMxhkyJtGI

I didn't know stuff like that existed! I'm gonna stick with coding it using Mingus & midiutil python packages for now but it's quite tempting to buy a cool looking hardware box to connect upto my synth..
..but not today

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

There are free software implementations of these. I'm sure a clever individual could adapt either the code, or the idea behind it.
That's not me though.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I know it's not exactly a hard time limit with this project, but man do I have to get back to my track at some point. Started it a little bit a couple weeks ago, but life has been stressing me the hell out. Need to burn the stress out with hot FM jams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p' sure the main reason for synth bands is just to have someone help you finish stuff