Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Does anyone know where I could get Warcry stats for my Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth?

It's just for friendly house games, I get that they won't be regulation.

use the dankhold troggoth datasheet from the compendium, it's basically perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Man i actually really miss playing kill team, ill try to rope in some people to play more matches.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i just picked up a second hand kroot kill team to go with my pathfinder kill team at the local stores swapmeet

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

i just picked up a second hand kroot kill team to go with my pathfinder kill team at the local stores swapmeet

pathfinders farstalkers are absolutely outstanding models. there's some hard competition but i think they're the best-looking team made specifically for KT, a bit ahead of kommandos and inquisitorial agents. (chaos cult is the best but they're retasked models from 40K.)

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 29, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As someone who's lived through it, the templates weren't the problem.

It was what the templates encouraged: movement phases that took an eternity. Every unit had to spread out because of templates.

poo poo was like the opposite of Tetris.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Z the IVth posted:

This is some seriously cool nostalgia. I never really played 2nd but my first 40k exposure was the box set and all the art from that era.

Where did you get that blue bunker? Looks just like the ones from the old WDs but all I can find online are plans for the card version.

Found an stl of the bunker and dark vengeance barricades and printed them in resin.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/glorious-1990s-bunker-fortifcation-terrain

The old Shrine is from Grimdarkterrains birthday pack, it's epic scale so just needs resizing, mines a bit small. :F

I did play an all painted game recently, GSC vs Orks

Orks had taken and hold, a small MDF shrine on the broken bridge, I had dawn raid, my efforts to fufill dawn raid were cut short when my chimera and sentinels were killed by buggy fire, however the chimera bravely zoomed forward exploding in a fireball to kill a large group of Orks.

No hand to hand combat all game, with the hybrids surging forward last minute with flamers and hand flamers to kill any ork near the objective.

The genestealers nicely painted were done by Josh from crown of command, an ex eavy metal team guy.

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 29, 2024

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

pathfinders are absolutely outstanding models. there's some hard competition but i think they're the best-looking team made specifically for KT, a bit ahead of kommandos and inquisitorial agents. (chaos cult is the best but they're retasked models from 40K.)

Are the pathfinders specifically made for KT? I thought it was just a regular PF box plus an upgrade sprue

Edit: agreed they are great models, I loved building the lil tacticool aliens back when I had delusions of ever playing actual 40k

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

moths posted:

As someone who's lived through it, the templates weren't the problem.

It was what the templates encouraged: movement phases that took an eternity. Every unit had to spread out because of templates.

poo poo was like the opposite of Tetris.

If I was going to write template rules in TYOOL 2024, I would have them determine if the unit as a whole got hit, not individual models. Basically, you get the joy of putting the flame template on the table, making "fwoosh" noises as you do so, but the actual resolution is like a Blast weapon in Kings of War (DX+X hits). At absolute most, I would have the template either give a bonus to the number of hits you score if it covered a certain % of the models in a unit, or I would set the minimum number of hits equal to the maximum number of models you can cover. So for instance if you could cover 3 models, and a basic flamer did D3+1 hits, if your total score was only a 2, it would automatically go up to 3 hits, but you could still roll a total of 4 and hit more models than covered so the threat level of the flamer is more in the statline than in how many models it can cover giving less incentive to make movement as precise and spread out as 3e.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
What if you took the template and marked out a number of hits on it, that increased as they got closer to the narrow end of the template. Then when you use the template if you are really close to them you maximise your hits, but if you are far away you only might hit one or two.

It becomes more about moving your one guy close up rather than punishing opponents clumping up.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Squibsy posted:

Are the pathfinders specifically made for KT? I thought it was just a regular PF box plus an upgrade sprue

Edit: agreed they are great models, I loved building the lil tacticool aliens back when I had delusions of ever playing actual 40k

sorry, meant the kroot farstalkers, which is what ominous jazz was talking about. and they are a brand new box, not built on the old kroot carnivores (which dated back to the original tau release).

HidaO-Win posted:

What if you took the template and marked out a number of hits on it, that increased as they got closer to the narrow end of the template. Then when you use the template if you are really close to them you maximise your hits, but if you are far away you only might hit one or two.

It becomes more about moving your one guy close up rather than punishing opponents clumping up.

you can do this in inches/cm and just sell a fancy ruler with fire on it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

HidaO-Win posted:

I think that's a really novel way to handle it as well. It would be easy enough to indicate bands on the template.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Every time I consider getting into epic armageddon I remember how much of a mess it'd be to actually get armies for it. Which on the whole is probably a good thing

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Every time I consider getting into epic armageddon I remember how much of a mess it'd be to actually get armies for it. Which on the whole is probably a good thing

How come? If anything it is too easy, way too easy. I might honestly have 50k+ points across a half dozen armies. Are you after OG minis only or something?

The game is so loving good, it is worth it. What army are you thinking?

edit: If I can help let me know.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 1, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
3D printing has made it really easy to assemble an army :evilbuddy:

(Now to paint an army is another story).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Virtual Russian posted:

How come? If anything it is too easy, way too easy. I might honestly have 50k+ points across a half dozen armies. Are you after OG minis only or something?

The game is so loving good, it is worth it. What army are you thinking?

edit: If I can help let me know.

Just thinking of doing the usual guard > orcs > marines > eldar and then on from there (tau probably being a high priority). I don't have a 3d printer myself, and it seems like a pain finding consistent models- especially compared to Warmaster where you can easily get whole armies on Etsy. I've seen Vanguard and Onslaught selling models, though Vanguard is UK based (I'm in the US) and I'm not a huge fan of Onslaught's designs. Eldar in particular look like they're missing chunks of their roster, aspect warriors especially

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Just thinking of doing the usual guard > orcs > marines > eldar and then on from there (tau probably being a high priority). I don't have a 3d printer myself, and it seems like a pain finding consistent models- especially compared to Warmaster where you can easily get whole armies on Etsy. I've seen Vanguard and Onslaught selling models, though Vanguard is UK based (I'm in the US) and I'm not a huge fan of Onslaught's designs. Eldar in particular look like they're missing chunks of their roster, aspect warriors especially

Ok, honestly, all that is fair. I have been enviously eyeing the warmaster folk's complete ranges. I really like Vanguard, I'm in Canada, shipping sucks. I try to make large complete orders, which can be challenging with his stock levels always being low. On the upside, he's super accessible, I bug him on discord all the time about when he'll have what, and if he can hold stuff. He's always willing to make something work, he's great.

Guard and Marines are pretty easy to put together. For Guard, pick infantry from one source, and you can still get your armour from another if you want. It always looks cohesive in the end. Marines are very easy, there are complete sets on Etsy, STLs all over, GW is making em again too, and Vanguards marine infantry have an absurd number of poses. Guard is my favourite, they were my first army to collect back when EA released, and the first I built when I picked the game back up. I do mechanized infantry, usually with a Warlord or Reaver, and it just looks great on the table. Tanks galore. Win or lose they are fun to play, no matter how bad you play you cannot get tabled. You be in it until the end, which is always fun.

Orks are everywhere and they are all good. Just find the set that fits what you like in orks. I've got ~15k points of orks, from about every producer to have ever made them. I mix em all together with zero care for cohesion, sometimes even on the same base. They still look great, better that way even.

Eldar are way easier to collect as of very recently. There is a very complete set of stls out there for sure. Plus vanguard is filling out their proxy line, including some aspects. I'm not super well versed though as I'm blessed with a near complete set of the Epic40k Eldar range. They are all so small, like 4mm scale for vehicles, I'm only half joking when I say using them is almost modeling for advantage.

Tau are next on my list, still looking around for minis I like. I also don't like Onslaught.

Best of all the game is really enjoyable to play.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah from reading rules and battle reports its like maybe a bit bigger than I'd really like, but the systems look shockingly elegant overall for a GW product, and I really like the bigger picture the smaller scale permits. What points level is most common? I know there's community rules for 1k, seems like a lot of tourneys are 3k but does 2k work? Also what army lists do you use- I kinda like the UK ones for being a little simpler but I haven't really played them so idk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A quick search for "etsy epic armageddon will easily turn up plenty of sellers.

Possibly too easily, I may have just impulse ordered a not-Gaunt's Ghosts army in 8mm.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah from reading rules and battle reports its like maybe a bit bigger than I'd really like, but the systems look shockingly elegant overall for a GW product, and I really like the bigger picture the smaller scale permits. What points level is most common? I know there's community rules for 1k, seems like a lot of tourneys are 3k but does 2k work? Also what army lists do you use- I kinda like the UK ones for being a little simpler but I haven't really played them so idk

I play a lot of 1k (minigeddon), and a lot of 3k, which is also what tournaments are. When my brother and I get together we do 5k, that begins to stretch the game a bit too much though. I wouldn't recommend unless you can make a day of it.

I use NetEA, almost everyone in North America does. The occasional person uses a UK list, and no one really minds in my experience. A tournament I went to a couple years back let someone play UK squats or some other non-standard net:ea list, no one said a thing. The army was gorgeous, ancient gw squats and some prints to fill gaps.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

3D printing has made it really easy to assemble an army :evilbuddy:

(Now to paint an army is another story).

Airbrush, drybrush and oil wash. 6mm are literally the easiest to paint.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Chiming in to say that Epic Armageddon rocks. As stated, there are tons of options for most of the armies in the game, and, if you're lucky enough to find people locally, most are happy enough to offload older stuff they don't need anymore. Joining Epic Facebook groups is also a great way to pick stuff up. Onslaught and Microworld are good non-3D print sources, but printing is going to be your best bet, so if you don't want to get into printing things yourself (understandable) Etsy and Ebay are certainly great options. Hell, you could use the LI Marines for SMs - they are a bit large compared to EA models, but most folks won't give you a hard time about it.

Personally, I find Orks to be weirdly difficult to source stuff for, if you're looking for proxies that look similar to actual GW-style Ork vehicles, but there are at least consistent product lines out there that can be used. Bishok did a line of Raiders that are good proxies and would allow you to retain a consistent look for your force. The Lazy Forger Tech and Enlsted are also great options for proxies.

Like Virtual Russian stated, 3K is usually a "normal" game. It gives you a good amount of units without becoming unmanageable. Almost everything you need for rules and lists is here: https://tp.net-armageddon.org/

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 1, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I have WQ blackstone fortress in my hands! So hype! It looks awesome!! :dance:

I wonder if the 40k datasheets for these special characters have been updated for 10th, theyll probably be imperial agents or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Z the IVth posted:

Airbrush, drybrush and oil wash. 6mm are literally the easiest to paint.

FACT

It's counterintuitive, but having less model to paint means it's easier to paint. Just use a small brush and find a convenient source of magnification. I use reading glasses in a range of magnification; 2.25s are good for general work and a 4.0 zooms you in on whatever's about a foot in front of your face - and blurs literally everything else.

I did all my works by painting a stripe of red over the eyes and then doing the green face over that. The old Epic works have deeply recessed eye sockets so this works really well. I only took any care on the nobs, but most of my Boyz have red eyes. It was super easy and looks great.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Contrast paint is also great for small scale.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also with EA you basically don't need to do any custom modeling other than, maybe, a titan or two. In warhammer 40k and fantasy and kill team and so on, you tend to get models where you want to get the right weapons on them, or get kits with loads of options to figure out, etc. But with EA the tiny little guys just have guns and their abilities are tied to their statline regardless of what's modeled, which you can barely see anyway. Nobody is going to go "oh that tiny stand of five tiny guys have the wrong kind of gun" as you roll against their firefight value.

So putting infantry together units really does just mean gluing a few dudes to a stand and then you're ready to paint. Many vehicles are a single piece, a few have a turret to glue on or something. Prepping units to paint is entirely a matter of how much you care about mold lines and how you want to base them. It goes fast.

I can prepare and paint ten stands of 6mm epic infantry in the time it takes to prepare and paint a single 28mm character model.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

with EA the tiny little guys just have guns and their abilities are tied to their statline regardless of what's modeled, which you can barely see anyway. Nobody is going to go "oh that tiny stand of five tiny guys have the wrong kind of gun" as you roll against their firefight value.

this is my biggest complaint about Legiones Imperialis to boot

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Literally my only complaint about E:A is where the home brewing gets silly.

And even then that's just the Dark Eldar Kaiju, Chaos Ferris Wheel, and I think some floating Necron murder complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

And my Legionary Kill Team has the required six operatives now, so I can maybe get a demo game in soon. Hooray. They still need the snow effects on their bases, but I'm not sure if I'm going to have time before the first game (have to varnish, wait, lay down the snow, wait, varnish again, wait).

Aspiring Champion, Icon Bearer, Shrivetalon, Butcher, Heavy Gunner, and Gunner:

...I really need to get a lightbox.