Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, sorry about that. My brain saw both statements and decided to combine them.

Anyway, someone posted a twitter thread on the controls and combat system:

https://twitter.com/MagGamerInc/status/1769438471930761241

I'll format it since it's a complete mess (what else is new on twitter) and missing some stuff. I'll try to infer what they mean and add what's missing.

quote:

Note ROTR has a deep combat system with tons of weapons and attacks you can pull off combining regular attacks with martial arts attacks, grapple throws, range attacks and more. It will remind everyone Team Ninja is king of combat. So let's just get into it.

△ - Stonefire/Assassination
◯ - Evasion/Dash
✕ - Jump
□ - Normal attack
R2 - Grappling hook
R1 - Interact
L1 - Guard
L2 - Use secondary weapon/Stand secondary weapon
Four-way controller ↑↓→← - Use placed item
R - stick camera
L - stick move
L3 - Crouch
R3 - Lock-on
Weapon switch R1 + D-pad ↑ to switch main weapon ↓ to switch secondary weapon
Martial arts can be mapped by R1 + □/△/✕
Touchpad- Map option button to menu

◻︎ - Attack; Long press Strong Attack
△ - Parry; Can cancel other actions, fatal if enemy firepower is 0 or undetected; long press Sword Finisher (instant death)
⚪︎ - Evasion; long press Dash
x - jump Also includes Jump Attacks
R1 - Examine, downed: Wake up your companions; press immediately after an attack to remove blood from the sword (restore energy/clearance)
R1+⚪︎×△◻︎ - Martial arts
R1+↑ - Change weapon, get purple electricity if you take skill
R1+↓ - Change ranged weapon
R1+→← - Switch tool slot
R1+Right Stick - Style switching
L1 - Guard
L1+↑↓ 1 Change controlled character (automatically changes upon death)
R2 - Grappling hook, can also be used on enemies
L2 - Ranged attack
L3 - Crouch (can also be used as a dash in settings)
R3 - Lock-on
icon above enemy's HP = Strong Red → Too strong; Blue → Weak
Icon on the right of the enemy's HP = School compatibility Red → Disadvantage; Blue → Advantage
press and hold for a few seconds to close windows such as TIPS, so we recommend turning off the long press function.

3 Stances types for every weapon changing attacks and purpose:
- Ten, Chi, and Jin.

- Ten works well against katanas and normal weapons but weaker against sabers and lightweight weapons.
- Chi works well against odachis and heavy weapons but weaker against katanas and normals weapons
- Jin works well against sabers and lightweight weapons, weaker against odachis and heavy weapons.

You will see icon up when you got right stance which means more stagger/ki damage.
It's ok to be swapping between Advantage stance to Neutral and back Advantage.
With many combat styles you can acquire by being relationships and bonds with people and factions. There is many levels to this but hope this info is helpful.
Being able to equip any weapon and any stance or attack is what makes this combat system so deep for me. So much to learn and teach I am very excited to release videos on all of it. For now enjoy and share your thoughts.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Reviews are out and seem pretty much as expected for a team ninja game. Cowboy said he didn’t even finish it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Not terrible scores but doesn’t seem to have what I’m looking for from TN games. I hope they make a straight action game again

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I played it last night and it's Team Ninja combat in open world but there's also missions that remind me of Wo Long because you can move around vertically by jumping or using your grappling hook.

It's pretty fun! but for some reason attacks have a lot of pushback so combat becomes a bit difficult in a small spaces or around ledges.

Stealth is also more important this time because taking on multiple opponents is tough with how blocking works and the enemies do not take turns fighting you. The levels seem to be designed with this in mind and you can snipe and stealth kill enemies. You can auto aim and fire revolvers while moving too

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 22, 2024

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

WaltherFeng posted:

I played it last night and it's Team Ninja combat in open world but there's also missions that remind me of Wo Long because you can move around vertically by jumping or using your grappling hook.

It's pretty fun! but for some reason attacks have a lot of pushback so combat becomes a bit difficult in a small spaces or around ledges.

Stealth is also more important this time because taking on multiple opponents is tough with how blocking works and the enemies do not take turns fighting you. The levels seem to be designed with this in mind and you can snipe and stealth kill enemies. You can auto aim and fire revolvers while moving too

Is open world design really similar to Ubisoft’s?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I have hard time naming any game that isn't inspired by Ubisoft games but at least the game doesn't seem to vomit 100 map icons on you

Based on the first few hours the open world stuff is ok. You'll have some icons you can go and you'll increase somekind of reputation level if you do tasks which reveal more stuff on the map you can do. You can also explore the map and find stuff on your own.

There's a level system so going against things way above your level isn't smart. This is clearly labeled on the map though if the task is above your level.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's a pretty traditional Ubisoftish open-world game, but the vibes and polish make it charming (it helps that playing a wandering scavenger-adventurer feels very appropriate for a nineteenth-century ronin), and the combat is exactly what anyone who's played a Team Ninja ARPG has come to expect.

No monsters yet, and the setting has been grounded enough so far that they seem unlikely to show up, but some bandits have trained attack boars as minibosses, and those are scarier than you'd expect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress it I love team ninja, I'll get ror. I was concerned about it being too pared down or the open world sucking but it seems like it's still good team ninja and that they've given it a real try. Worst case it makes me play Nioh 2 again and I reunite with my boyfriend William from Ireland.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, you don't have to meticulously sniff through every last inch of the Japanese countryside if you don't want to. Performing the activities marked on your map will increase your 'regional bonds', revealing icons for collectibles in that region and sometimes in others you've explored. So if you've done everything marked on the map but a region isn't 100% complete, you can just go away and do other stuff elsewhere before fast-travelling back when new goodies get revealed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That sounds good tbh. I don't really want to go digging around open world BS right now. Pretty unhappy that I can't wield a kusarigama and six gun tho.

E: can I make shuriken extremely dumb and make a gimmicky ninja spam build? I always find that to be a funny way to play Nioh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

That sounds good tbh. I don't really want to go digging around open world BS right now. Pretty unhappy that I can't wield a kusarigama and six gun tho.

E: can I make shuriken extremely dumb and make a gimmicky ninja spam build? I always find that to be a funny way to play Nioh.

One of your four stats, Dexterity, has an entire skill path built around shuriken, so it's safe to say they can get very bullshit. As an overview, your stats are Strength (general direct combat skills), Dexterity (stealth, archery, shuriken, and ninja gadgets), Charisma (ally support and combat/progression resource gain/preservation), and Intelligence (guns, crafting, and elemental damage). Each of the ten or so weapon types has one primary stat it scales with and one or two secondaries. I can't recall 'em all off the top of my head, but katanas and odachis primarily scale with Strength, while dual swords scale primarily with Dexterity. Plus, each weapon type has several unlockable combat styles (movesets) which you switch between in rock-paper-scissors style with R1 and your right stick to counter other enemies' weapon types/preferred styles. So if you love, say, odachis, then don't worry - if you equip combat styles matching all three elements, then your odachi will be effective against every opponent in the game. I know at least some weapons have multiple styles per element, which I think is to provide flexibility with stat-scaling - to continue with our example, you might want your Ten/Chi/Jin styles with your odachi to scale with your Strength/Charisma build rather than purely scaling off Strength.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One delightful little detail is that the unlockable Niten Ichiryu style for dual swords has your character do the Miyamoto Musashi pose in their resting stance.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does the game warrant its own thread at this point? I know Dragon's Dogma 2 overshadowed the game but people seem to be coming around based off of the impressions and enthusiasm from other posters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Does the game warrant its own thread at this point? I know Dragon's Dogma 2 overshadowed the game but people seem to be coming around based off of the impressions and enthusiasm from other posters.

Sure, why not?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think so. Apparently the game is quite big so there's plenty talk about as people dig into it

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'd be into a thread. Would rather ask goons than anyone else when I get pasted what I should be doing lol.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im gonna post this thing before I forget:

All countersparks have unique stance specific properties.

For example some countersparks can be used as guard breaking moves if the opponent is blocking or some have a strong follow up attack if you press the counter button again after parrying

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if DLC expands the available weapon types as is standard for a Team Ninja ARPG. Apart from kusarigamas and the ever-popular cesti, I can see European rapiers/smallswords making an appearance.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah that’s what I’m really excited about with this. They have a proven track record adding cool stuff to their games. I’m hoping this one clicks for me better than Nioh 2 did. I liked Wo Long better than some folks did but this one seems to split the difference between Nioh 2’s overwhelming set of options and Wo Long’s streamlined approach.

Also, not to ignite some weird difficulty debate or anything, but I’m glad Team ninja is confident enough in their design to implement QoL and accessibility options. For me it’s not even about difficulty. There’s a send horse to location button which is huge for my blind rear end, an auto-aim on subweapons, ditto, auto pickup, also ditto, auto traversal, huge for someone that can struggle to line up with environmental objects, full and comprehensive transmog without cost, you know, modern design concepts that let a player play the game, rather than experience constant and obnoxious inconveniences.

My hope is if the combat sings for me I can give Midnight a shot. Just glad that more developers are realizing that accessibility and difficulty are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll throw together an OP tomorrow then post it. I've never made one before but I'll try to make it nice and good.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Jimbot posted:

I'll throw together an OP tomorrow then post it. I've never made one before but I'll try to make it nice and good.

Thanks, I’d also like a thread so would appreciate the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rise of the Ronin thread is up!