Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like heavy weight wool hoodies such as https://www.woolx.com/collections/mens-hoodies/products/heavyweight-hooded-merino-wool-sweatshirt-for-men-x710 and maybe (we'll find out I haven't tried this one yet) https://www.minus33.com/collections/mens-expedition-wool/products/kodiak-expedition-wool-full-zip-hoodie?variant=36659354435745.

The woolx one is comfortable at a good range of temperatures and as the minus33 seems to be a similar fabric I'd imagine it's true for it as well.As I typically only wear a t-poo poo underneath below freezing is when I start considering switching to a jacket depending on what I'm doing/how windy it is. If I was actually active dressed it layers I'd imagine it'd be fine for much lower. I got this recently https://www.rei.com/product/209609/fjallraven-nuuk-insulated-parka-mens for 20% if I need anything colder. Anyway my solution is to never leave the house.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Mulaney Power Move posted:

In Florida it is getting down to the 30s. That's when the bog spectres come out.

If the extractor fan is struggling try a scented candle

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
for me the point at which normal cold becomes unpleasantly cold is when you inhale through your nose and it feels like your nostrils are sticking together. warmer than that and it's okay, colder and I'll stay inside.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
My eyelids kept freezing together walking home from the bus yesterday, which is a real first for me.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Near Pittsburgh now and it was pretty cold.

I think it was a bad idea to throw salt on the driveway. Now the little dusting of snow melted into ice

I used to hate IoT but turning up the heat at my house near DC and seeing the furnace still working remotely is an ease off my mind.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Lt. Cock posted:

My eyelids kept freezing together walking home from the bus yesterday, which is a real first for me.

Out of interest what does that feel like? Just a weird feeling of having to open them harder?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Winter Storm Failliot

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Neighbor came and plowed us out. Dogs are enjoying the above 0 weather!

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Randarkman posted:

Most of Norway, where the people live, is below the arctic circle. Though even there there is a difference between the coast, particularly the west coast, and the inlands.

At the time when I went to Saskatoon, I had lived in Bergen in Western Norway, where there's rarely snow or much below -5 C or so (though of course there will be exceptions), but winters are wet and miserable. I was not at all prepared for what Saskatoon ended up being like, though I had lived inland in the south east as well, where winters are regularly -10 to -20, with lots of snow. Still, poo poo gets into an entirely new category of hell when you get to to the -30s and -40s and below.

I grew up in Flin Flon, Manitoba and I'm telling you, Moose Jaw and Saskatoon are paradise compared to that place.

We get a couple weeks of -30 C a winter here, total. January is -30 C up there. I remember a month when I was a kid where we just didn't play outside and it was WEIRD, because that's all we ever did. We'd all just scramble to one another's houses and play D&D and stuff. And those trips between houses were just brutal cold. Bundle up to be outside for five minutes cold.

They've had a couple of nice winters lately, though. Flin Flon is going to make out like a bandit when the global warming part of all this hits...

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

mudskipp posted:

Out of interest what does that feel like? Just a weird feeling of having to open them harder?

Kinda like my eyelashes were made of weak Velcro.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mulaney Power Move posted:

In Florida it is getting down to the 30s. That's when the bog spectres come out.

https://twitter.com/WxBrendan/status/1606652960892604416

Ope!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Das Boo posted:

Neighbor came and plowed us out. Dogs are enjoying the above 0 weather!

What state are you in? All of your pictures here have like 3 trees in them for miles. North Dakota?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What state are you in? All of your pictures here have like 3 trees in them for miles. North Dakota?

Very close! Eastern Montana. We're in the badlands, so it's just wheatfields and weird rocks.

It's about an hour's drive from the ND border.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I like heavy weight wool hoodies such as https://www.woolx.com/collections/mens-hoodies/products/heavyweight-hooded-merino-wool-sweatshirt-for-men-x710 and maybe (we'll find out I haven't tried this one yet) https://www.minus33.com/collections/mens-expedition-wool/products/kodiak-expedition-wool-full-zip-hoodie?variant=36659354435745.

The woolx one is comfortable at a good range of temperatures and as the minus33 seems to be a similar fabric I'd imagine it's true for it as well.As I typically only wear a t-poo poo underneath below freezing is when I start considering switching to a jacket depending on what I'm doing/how windy it is. If I was actually active dressed it layers I'd imagine it'd be fine for much lower. I got this recently https://www.rei.com/product/209609/fjallraven-nuuk-insulated-parka-mens for 20% if I need anything colder. Anyway my solution is to never leave the house.

Trip report on fjallraven nuuk parka. Warm enough for 2 (it was windy too like -20 wind chill) degrees Fahrenheit.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ope?

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtube.com/shorts/rB0bYk6N1iA?feature=share

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I had no idea I said this ALLLL the time until my goon friend posted something about it. I was like, wtf no way. Then I went to the gas station and someone was in my way and I was like "Ope, lemme get by ya right there (der)..." and I immediately was like :doh:. Fucker was right. Even this loving tweet said what I said almost verbatim.

Although mine comes out more as "whoop."

naem
May 29, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I had no idea I said this ALLLL the time until my goon friend posted something about it. I was like, wtf no way. Then I went to the gas station and someone was in my way and I was like "Ope, lemme get by ya right there (der)..." and I immediately was like :doh:. Fucker was right. Even this loving tweet said what I said almost verbatim.

Although mine comes out more as "whoop."

https://youtube.com/shorts/An548MR0R6s?feature=share

charlie berens is fun

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that dude is like a local hero here. He's great.

When I moved to WA I had absolutely no idea I had an accent. People asked me if I was from Canada all the time. After 6-7 years it died down a bit and then when I moved back home it came back full force and then some in less than a year.

Hearing your own accent every time you talk is pretty frustrating.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Das Boo posted:

Very close! Eastern Montana. We're in the badlands, so it's just wheatfields and weird rocks.

It's about an hour's drive from the ND border.

I thought it looked eerily like mid-eastern Alberta farmlands. Makes sense, then.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Grammarchist posted:

There's a guy I know who was on the Pegasus when she crash landed at McMurdo Station back in the '70's. He talked about having to build a fort out of baggage to keep the blizzard and wind off till rescue vehicles finally found them. It's 30 degrees colder in southern Indiana than it was on Ross Island when the Pegasus sheered its wing off on a snowdrift.

I wonder if this is why my dad got that uhhh interesting Pegasus tattoo. He was stationed at McMurdo in '88 when I was born. Also he's from Indiana. huh

Got down to -7F here in Ohio. The wind was brutal and constant. Level 3 road conditions in my county for 24 hours. Supposedly you can be arrested for being out in a level 3, as well as your insurance can deny the claim if you're in a wreck. These are just anecdotes from people on the Nationwide arena facebook page. Had to nope out of the TSO show on friday and I was loving pissed. I would have done it if it weren't for my wifes anxiety about snow driving. The good news is TSO reached out and my ticket will be good next year!

Better safe than sorry, though for real. I love driving, racing, gettin squirrly in the snow with my subaru, but I actually let this meth head looking dude pass me today because we are on packed loving ice and he was less than a car length behind me. I gave him the ol' brake hard and pull off, roll down window and give the go around motion. gently caress that man. I drive a '99 outback and have comprehensive insurance, but it's not really a replaceable car, nor is it really worth anything to an insurance company.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Sam Elliott is a good actor.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I do the ope thing and I'm not even from the midwest

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cheesus posted:

Then at 4 loving o clock I get a text from my sister. My parents have been without power since 5am. So no heat. My father is under hospice care. Either they call the ambulance or we get them a heating source or generator.

My parents have a generator they have not serviced in over 12 years and of course won't start. My sister does. My BIL, one of his employees, and my niece drive 20 miles away to setup theirs and get my mother's pellet stove and fridge going. Come up with a game plan for me to refuel tomorrow since I'm only 7 miles away.
It's one thing to read about triage resource allocation and another to experience it.

On the way down my BIL saw a listing power pole that was certainly a cause in 300 people being without power near my parents. I was as worried about the pole immediately in front of their house with a clearly dangling wire.

So I was not surprised that after the former situation was taken care of on Saturday, my parents still had no power. I had her call the power company again because they seemed to have gathered that one pole as the root cause for all of them.

This time, the pole with the dangling wire only affected my parents and two other neighbors. Much less than the outrage report showing remaining incident counts between 10 and 50 houses.

Both my mother and sister tried to play the "we are taking care of a hospice patient (my father)" card and that didnt change anything. Last night after a bit of wind, mom said her lights came on briefly even though nobody was at the pole. I immediately called the power company letting the know of a likely live wire situation. That didn't change the triage equation either.

So my Christmas weekend has been and remains spent filling up a 5 gal can of gas to fill the generator every 12 hours apart so my parents can keep heat and refrigerator powered.

The second best part of this is that the electrical hookup my father had installed 15 years for their (non serviced, non running) generator doesn't connect to my BIL's generator. Everything is running via a jumble of exgension cords.

The best part is my dying father remains as entitled and petulant on his death bed as he was in life. My mother is living in hell for Christmas taking care of him while my sister and I scramble to help her in this situation as we try to take care of our own families.

Worst. Holiday. Ever.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dixville posted:

I do the ope thing and I'm not even from the midwest

same and i'm not even american lol. and it seems to be common here in ontario too

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

same and i'm not even american lol. and it seems to be common here in ontario too

From having lived in Canada a bit, and what I've seen on in film and on TV, Canadians are basically just a country of midwesterners.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
It was 78 yesterday here in socal. About 70ish today.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Chinatown posted:

It was 78 yesterday here in socal. About 70ish today.

Is that because all the forest fires keep you warm?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Not familiar with those. I live near the ocean.

Gonna ride my bike again today.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The X-man cometh posted:

if not it's the subtle combination of human feces spread out through the streets.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Winter Storm Elliott just came out with an insanely bad song check it out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LesJAjQf0-g

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOj2ZrTdOOM sorry this is the uncensored version

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Ontarian and I have never ever heard anyone say 'ope'

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i got diarrhea

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost