Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Interesting stuff in there. Again, I'm utterly stunned by this situation. Cadence was the first rep I ever purchased from. I've been buying from Paolo, (and later, Corey, Andrew and Vinny) for almost 15 years. They had some of my favorite artists and turned me on to a whole bunch of up and comers. Being upfront about prices and availability so I didn't have to even ask was so good for me.

Also, while you cut it off, Ari's comment on jam pieces is like my number one reason why as much as I want jam pieces, I don't go for them. Just the thought of an artist putting adding a part I'm less than thrilled about is too anxiety inducing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I found them to be hit or miss. I mostly dealt with them for con commissions, and that was fine. It took a while for some online commissions - it took over a year and a half for one. I probably got a response to every third email, and then the art just showed up at my house one day without warning. Felt like if things went as planned, it was fine, but definently some gaps in responses. Honestly, that was pretty typical for other reps, so it didn't seem that odd. I always assumed I'd eventually get my pieces. Clearly I was mistaken...

Kirby's had been my goto, and has been great with communication, although prices are definently higher.

Comicsbeat has an article up about this. Not alot of new info though.

Here's a Mike Allred commission I got during COVID time. Asked for a Galactus with no other guidance, and he gave me way more than I was expecting.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 6, 2024

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I definitely have had experiences like that with them before where sometimes getting responses sucked. Once they added some new guys, communication definitely got better tho.

The two pages I bought recently (the Bengal Spider-Gwen and the Stokoe Deadpool) felt like night and day experiences though. I "ordered" them on the same day. Within 12 hours I had a shipping notif from Essential Sequential and within a week I had my page. In fact, I had my page for Spider-Gwen before Cadence even acknowledged my request for purchase on the Stokoe page. I thought it was the holidays but it sounds like it might have been more.

It had been forever since I ordered from ES and honestly it was a great experience. The biggest issue I think I have with ES at this point is I used to see Jason all the time at SDCC but it seems like he either stopped going or doesn't work the booth anymore which, in both cases, respect.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Neil Gaimam is auctioning part of his collection, mostly original art, at Heritage. I'm guessing prices will be too high for me

https://comics.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?dept=1938&mode=live&auction_name=7364&type=hero-comic-open-7364-Gaiman-tem022324

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Two Cadence pieces came in today! I'm not too worried about anything else I have open at this point, I've been in contact with everyone, seems like everything will be good:

Terrax by Tom Fowler. Love the proportions on Terrax, very triangular.

Darth Vader by Werther Dell'Edera. Outside of a bunch of smaller sketches from Chris Uminga, I don't have much Star Wars art, this came out great, didn't see it until I opened the box.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Frazier Irving added a bunch of 2000AD prelims to his online store if anyone is in the market for very reasonably-priced originals. He's also got a discount code "LEAP24" for 20% off that's good until Sunday.

https://twitter.com/frazerirving/status/1763167810866254296?t=i68bhkSJ2wLBAVB8NMiSDA&s=19
https://frazerirving.bigcartel.com/category/prelims

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Amy Mebberson did a perfect Jeff the Landshark con doodle over the weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I finally reached out to the two artists who I had, let's say unfulfilled, commissions through Cadence. I was apprehensive about contacting both because the first, Suspiria, just finished cancer treatment when everything broke and it seemed ultra lovely and rude to contact her. The second felt even worse to contact because I was working with Cadence about coming up with a solution for art that was lost in delivery to me.

Suspiria it sounds like was still waiting for a list of address from Cadence so she can just ship directly when she finishes so I think she was at least somewhat happy I reached out so she could get my address.

The second artist makes me a lot more upset at Cadence about. When the package was first lost in the mail, my initial solution to Cadence was "just put me at the bottom of their next list" but I was never able to get any traction on this suggestion and their counter was a, while generous amount, credit that honestly wouldn't cover a comparable piece. I was willing to wait until a more generous situation showed up but obviously things exploded. Well, I contacted the artist directly today and while it took a minute to get on the same page (they thought the piece was lost between them and Cadence at first) but the second we did, their first suggestion was EXACTLY what I wanted in the first place, getting put back on their commission list, albeit at the bottom.

I also learned through them that there's really only one person left at Cadence (not naming names but if you know the reps, you can guess) and they aren't even responding to emails from the artists they represented, making the fact that Suspiria was happy to get an address directly from me make a LOT more sense.

Anyway, I also got on Jasmin Darnell's list that she opened a couple weeks ago so I'm very excited for that.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just recieved an outstanding NYCC commission from Nick Dragotta. Absolutely love it. Just asked for a Iron Fist, and he definently blew it out of the water.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

gninjagnome posted:

Just recieved an outstanding NYCC commission from Nick Dragotta. Absolutely love it. Just asked for a Iron Fist, and he definently blew it out of the water.

Ohhhh, yeah, this list is looking great. That’s a great piece.

I hopped on his list too, went more specific than I normally do: Magneto removing Wolverine’s adamantium skeleton. Should be right up his alley, got high hopes it’ll be one of the centerpieces of my collection.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rian opened her list for the first time in 4 years and I got on it so now I'm very excited for that.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

RevKrule posted:

Rian opened her list for the first time in 4 years and I got on it so now I'm very excited for that.

I saw Rian post on Twitter about how quickly the slots filled up so well done for getting one. What are you going to commission?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly I thought I had no shot because her rules were really simple (email at time X, any emails before that time were rejected). I gave her a list of Rebecca from Edgerunners, Dagger (of Cloak and), and Faye Valentine. She seems super into doing Rebecca or Faye and asked if she could do either so it'll be one of those two.

Wondercon's next week, I may try and get another Jeff Dekal piece (i guess he took a little bit of a list when he was announced but I didn't get in on that) but beyond that I'm probably gonna just be saving for SDCC. Between getting on Rian and Jasmin's lists and having positive contacts with Suspiria and Elena, I'm pretty psyched about what I have in the pipeline for the next year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yup, went ahead with a Jeff Dekal piece. Wasn't my first choice character but I still very much like it.

Also probably my only real pickup this weekend. I have SDCC coming up as probably my next con but I'm not sure if I'll even do anything there. I'm happy with what I have in pipe and not sure who else I want to even try for at this point (that are within my price range).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Recent mail call additions:

Lili from Tekken 8 by Jasmin Darnell
Ok, I've gone heavy into Jasmin's stuff recently but hear me out. The chance to get an original Lili Rochefort from her Tekken 8 costume designer in one of Jasmin's first available A3 sized original pieces for sale was too good to pass up.

Black Queen/White Queen 70s slasher sexploitation poster - Suspiria Vilchez
Got on her list July of last year, she had a bunch of personal stuff happen which delayed this. Then cadence collapsed which further delayed this. It was worth the wait. I love this so much. She said it was her favorite from the most recent batch and I can see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

RevKrule posted:

Recent mail call additions:

Lili from Tekken 8 by Jasmin Darnell
Ok, I've gone heavy into Jasmin's stuff recently but hear me out. The chance to get an original Lili Rochefort from her Tekken 8 costume designer in one of Jasmin's first available A3 sized original pieces for sale was too good to pass up.

Black Queen/White Queen 70s slasher sexploitation poster - Suspiria Vilchez
Got on her list July of last year, she had a bunch of personal stuff happen which delayed this. Then cadence collapsed which further delayed this. It was worth the wait. I love this so much. She said it was her favorite from the most recent batch and I can see why.

Great stuff! Those are both really incredible works!

And there's nothing at all wrong with going heavily into Jasmin's stuff, says the guy with 3 pieces from her, 2 more commissions in queue, and who just joined the sketch tier of her Patreon.