Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Surprise CYOA at the end of wild west there. I don't feel like it added anything, at least until I unlock the 3rd option anyway. Other than that, really good arc overall, I like almost all the new player characters, along with the world. It also did a lot to address the random encounter issue by giving normal enemies a bit of personality and just having less card battles in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've been playing this game for months but i'm still in Guild War because i'm spending all my time in random matches instead of the story.

I somehow lucked into getting most of the Condemned and Armed Dragoncraft legendaries and this combo deck actually seems to work pretty well. Antemaria and Laevateinn are fun win conditions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

kirbysuperstar posted:

But..bloodkin..

Yes but how can she keep her promise if she's not standard legal?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Currently bumbling around with d-shift runecraft in unlimited, wondering what I might be missing. I see the deck from that last tournament and I copied most of it, but it feels like it's missing both a win con and a way to deal with lots of ward. You know what I miss about MtG? I know most of the cards in it and I can usually remember a tool if I need it. Shadowverse has years and years of history and I don't know what the best sweepers are.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, it's been a while since the last post but recently the mini-expansion for Azvaldt dropped. The usual thing with these mini-expacs is that every class gets an extra gold + legendary. It's not a full on expansion but it's often enough to make meta changes. Last season, it was enough to push two new decks to the top (Dirt Rune, Discard Dragon). We're two days in but we've seen Cutthroat Portal become pretty big so far and there's a few other changes. The new cards are on their site.

The other thing worth noting is that we've gotten a better site for EN deck tier lists recently in Shadowverse Master. It automatically creates a tier list based on recent tournament results but it doesn't have writeups. Still, it's easier to read than looking at raw tourney data to figure out what the top end meta is.

I'm still playing Wrath Blood since well, I've been playing it since the start of the expansion and I couldn't be bothered to make another deck. We're even good against the new top dog so it's nice to be valid.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I looked at the new cards but none of them have the Condemned trait so I don't care.

Possibly I am a weirdo because my favorite faction is Rune but I can't stand Spellboost even slightly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Judith does, technically

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I liquefied all my portalcraft cards so portalcraft is invisible to me.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is it worth making any of the 8ish trial decks for each of the classes to pilot in multiplayer (beginner rank)? Or should I just make whatever I can with my existing cards to keep my vials?

e: the trial decks you can use in story mode to try out different types of decks per class

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The point of trial decks is that they are trash but free. Do not spend any vials making one. I believe the ones in single player are older trial decks that have been phased out, which is all the more reason not to make them since most of the cards won't be available in rotation.

If you want to mess around in multiplayer with low investment, just use one of the current trial decks, which they should have given you a free voucher for.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The current trial decks are pretty solid tbh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They have a solid point plan but are purposefully incomplete. A foundation to build on. They just need more copies of the good cards and less of the bad cards.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

New expansion's dropping soon, it's focused on the new story stuff going on with Lainecrest Academy. No date yet but it'll likely be dropping at the end of the month.

We don't have full info on the new cards but we've got some Forest/Rune/Haven/Blood reveals so far. Most of those are on the site but the Forest Legendary and the Blood Legendary aren't there yet. We've got a new trait in play, Academic, although we haven't seen enough to say what it'll be doing so far, nothing except Haven interacts with it in the revealed cards.

Probably the funnier thing at the moment is that we're getting Hatsune Miku of all people as a leader. Unfortunately, she's a limited time gacha leader so you'll need to burn rupees/crystals to pull her from packs and well, that's never good.

https://twitter.com/shadowversegame/status/1637071603786739712

I've got 6k rupees saved up since I've been playing regularly, I'm still kind of annoyed I missed out on the seasonal Masamune/Aurelia even if Dragon has a better leader in the chicken

Oh, and Anne/Grea are included in the new cards. So Mysteria might be back.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kind of weird that the story just completely skipped the whole prison thing of the last set. I was actually interested in that setting.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, that caught me off guard. This isn't the first time that it's happened but given the trailer, I expected more.

Both Omen of the Ten and Ultimate Colosseum did the same thing with a whole new set of characters that got no story. But in the case of Omen, every major character is an obvious villain with no hero and Colosseum's backstory is that it's an isekai fighting tournament.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Full set of the new expansion's up, it goes live in about 27-28ish hours?

From a quick look at things, Fairy Forest, Buff Dragon, Vengeance Blood and Heal Haven are the decks to keep an eye on. Some kind of burn Rune might work too, Portal will have to figure out whether Puppet or Machina is their best bet. Sword and Shadow seem kind of weird right now.

I'm honestly not sure what to start with myself. I like the idea of Buff Dragon but I've never gelled well with Dragon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/973586706173419530/1091948530203115520/burn.mp4

turns out pureflame lady is actually flame hynard in disguise

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hate her

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Any place to see decklists that aren't just the meta? Mostly just looking to find out what the key cards are for different archetypes in the classes. It seems like everyone is running a trial deck or a fully built out top tier meta deck these days and I just made it out of Beginner rank lol. Been playing around with making decks and have a pretty fun Bounce / Evolve Forest and a Buff Dragon. Buff Dragon can generally survive against Rally Sword and Wrath Blood but I have no idea how you deal with Haven having healing by evolution since it's so dead simple to get Elluvia into play.

Also, I was hoping the lower ranks would be more varied but apparently not. :( I just want to mess around with gimmick decks and weird combos.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 2, 2023

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Chaotic Flame posted:

Any place to see decklists that aren't just the meta? Mostly just looking to find out what the key cards are for different archetypes in the classes. It seems like everyone is running a trial deck or a fully built out top tier meta deck these days and I just made it out of Beginner rank lol. Been playing around with making decks and have a pretty fun Bounce / Evolve Forest and a Buff Dragon. Buff Dragon can generally survive against Rally Sword and Wrath Blood but I have no idea how you deal with Haven having healing by evolution since it's so dead simple to get Elluvia into play.

Also, I was hoping the lower ranks would be more varied but apparently not. :( I just want to mess around with gimmick decks and weird combos.

Your opponents probably don't have a card pool deep enough to make a non meta deck to begin with. Cobbling together just whatever you pulled from packs will very often make a deck that just feels bad to play [anecdotally, as someone who has plateaued at the bottom of AA0 due to loving around with offmeta things too much], which means you're reliant on still crafting things for consistency even if they're not the dominant strategy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/chirolchoco25/status/1642663198221295617?s=20

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just discovered the Legacy Deck format in Private Match. Love that the entire deck is animated! Anywhere I could get a primer on some of these decks? Been playing with someone who also got into it recently so it feels like it takes forever to try to figure out what each deck's plan is to try them out.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Not sure if there's a centralised resource for this anywhere. Legacy decks came out quite a while ago so the guides for that would be pretty old unless you want to track down the deck's rotation era and actual name.

I do recognise some of these off the top of my head. I've got a mixed level of familiarity with these but I'll let you know where that's the case.

PtP Forestcraft - Key card is Path to Purgatory. The rest of the deck is about getting to 30 shadows while not dying. Altered Fate is the main card that generates shadows for you since it discards your entire hand. After PtP is active, you let that handle the board for you and hit them in the face while you focus on not dying or playing another PtP.
Machina Forestcraft - World Uprooted Machina Forest, look up NAM Forest for more info.

Aggro Sword - This is insanely old and it's as simple as it looks. You just play cards and hit other people in the face, it's probably heavily outclassed by most decks in the format.
Rally Swordcraft - You play followers, you hit rally 10 and invoke Fieran. This is a tempo deck that wants to get a lot of followers on board and then either buff the board with Fieran or Stroke of Conviction. If that doesn't work, run Kagemitsu into something and then Regalcat the evolved copy of him that appears.
Retreat Combo Swordcraft - Not personally familiar with this but I believe this is the MistoBay loop deck. You play Bayleon, discard a tree, dramatic retreat it after attacking and then pull out another from the deck.
Loot Sword - Azvaldt era Loot Sword. This will be extremely easy to google, this deck was from last rotation.

D-Shift Rune - You play spells, focus on staying alive and when you're ready to D-Shift, you dump your followers on the field, use D-Shift and go for an OTK.
Daria Rune - Old school tempo deck. You spellboost Daria down, use your burn cards on the enemy face when you can, play Daria and get another hand for free.
Spell Runecraft - This is an Isabelle Rune deck. Your win condition is getting the Quadra Magic from the Isabelle fusion so you can get the Elements of Creation and throw it at the enemy face.

Ramp Dragoncraft - Old school ramp dragon. You ramp into big neutral followers. Mull for Oracle, in the late game, you just throw big followers at people and can use Zell to give them Storm too.
Discard Dragoncraft - I think this is Fortune's Hand Discard Dragon. Key card is the Shipsbane Plesiosaurus and then you use cheap discards to ping the board and enemy leader.
Storm Dragoncraft - This is Eternal Awakening Face/Bike Dragon. You ramp, you play Georgios and then you play cards that do face damage. If you float 4 play points, you invoke Colosseum on high from the deck which gives you more attack on Razia/Ghandagoza which means more face damage.
Burn Dragoncraft - This looks like Omen of Storms Burn Dragon? Don't have any info on hand for this.

Midrange Shadowcraft - Very old. You can play a bunch of dudes, play either Prince Catacomb or evo Cerberus for more tempo. This comes from the era of decks where tempo alone could win you basically every game.
Evolve Shadowcraft - This is Omen of Storms evo Shadow. You're looking to get evolves off to reduce the cost of Skeleton Raider and fulfill Grimnir's extra fanfare effect. Main sources of evos are in reviving Suzy with Reanimate 4's and using Luna for evo point recovery.

Neutral Bloodcraft - This is Wonderland Dreams Bloodcraft and the deck that broke the game. It's not very good by modern standards. You play neutral followers, you play Alice to buff your board, you play Baphomet to tutor Spawn of the Abyss and then you drop him on the board. It's an aggressive deck that wants to either overrun the enemy with early game followers or to kill with Spawn to the face.
Pain Bloodcraft - Omen of the Ten Darkfeast Bat Bloodcraft. Might also go by Pain Bloodcraft, we didn't have a real name for this at the time. You play aggressively, looking to get to 7 pings and to get face damage in. Once you're at 7 pings, you can start dropping Valnareik's and have them go face (or drop her early, she's good if the enemy can't answer her). You're looking to whittle them down until you can kill them by playing Darkfeast Bat.
Vengeance Bloodcraft - This is either Steel Rebellion Vengeance Blood or Rebirth of Glory Vengeance Blood. Might also be Vengeance Evo Blood. You want to either draw Seductress Vampire or evo Azazel to trigger a safe vengeance and then abuse Heartsick Demon/Yurius since they're extremely strong. Your finisher is buffing either Destructive Succubus or Calamity Bringer with Laura and going face.
Wrath Bloodcraft - This is Azvaldt era Wrath Bloodcraft. Extremely recent, you can find a guide on it easily. I can go into detail on this one if you want, I played it for 3 months.

Elana Havencraft - This is actually like, 2018-2019 Elana. Not sure on the exact expansion. You evolve Elana, get her amulet and then you heal a lot while having a board to get a massive board of followers.
Sanctuary Havencraft - This is an Eternal Awakening era deck. You draw Holy Sanctuary, play it, then you play a general control plan with a lot of free value for healing yourself. Finishers are either invoking Zelganea or playing Ra and letting that do the work.

Puppet Portalcraft - This is Celestial Dragonblade Puppet Portalcraft. Strong early game deck that fuses puppets into Orchis and drops her on 6 for massive tempo. Lishenna is mostly for healing, Absolute Chastity is for refilling your hand, probably not too hard to find a guide on this, it was T0 for a bit.

Christ, I'm familiar with more of this stuff than I thought.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Mysticblade posted:

Amazing write ups

Thanks! This helped a lot because some of these aren't super straightforward!

I wish Take Two Tactics was a permanent game mode. It's exactly what I want for pvp

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I used to love going second because it meant I could evolve first and more but now that I've been playing for a while, I realize how strong going first really is. So many games would have been won if I was going first since you can assume most games end on Turn 7 and almost every time I lose going second, I have lethal in hand on Turn 7.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's why they gave going 2nd so many bonuses. All else being equal, the player who goes first in a card game will always win because they are one turn ahead of the other player.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Occasionally, you have decks that like going 2nd for the extra evolve or the earlier evolve turn but that's mostly evolve focused decks and with so much EP recovery these days, it's a lot worse. These days, it's more that there's decks that really want to go first (Wrath, Rally, Fairy) and decks that don't mind going 2nd too much (Burial Rite, Mysteria, Mars). Older evo decks were technically among them, I remember Rebirth of Glory Vengeance Evo Blood being like that. That deck needed to get a lot of evo's to juice up their T10 finisher.

But yeah, right now, first is favored for most decks. I don't think we have any concrete data for it. Metatron/Arriet/Angel's Blessing were made to try and close the gap but you have to run them.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Shadowverse announced it's 7th anniversary and hoo boy, there's a lot to go through. I'll link the site here so you can see yourself but a quick summary of what was shown at the anni stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQXqKxsTVI
We got a trailer for the new expansion, Heroes of Rivenbrandt, another RoB themed expansion. I was initially iffy on it but there's a lot of RoB characters there that are very heavily tied to Shadowverse too (Odin, Levi, Grimnir, Cerberus, Bahamut, Jeanne, Forte, Aria). We had some early card reveals here, listed and translated on the official website.

Then:
  • We've got an event that's basically more rewards for dailies with the new chest event.
  • We've got 5 new leaders being added to the game from the story mode. These include Setus, Tetra, Vincent, Mizuchi and Adult Itsurugi.
  • We've got another event where you have a chance to win 500k rupees by playing daily private matches.
  • We're getting a special pack which consists of 7 legendaries and one leader card from the past 4 expacs for free.
  • We're getting a free 10-pull every day for 10 days. So 100 free packs.
  • We're getting the ability to set a home screen art that isn't the default blue void. We're getting 8 free backgrounds based on the Renascent Chronicles cards for the default 8 leaders. You can see whatever the BG's look like here.

Finally, the 7th anni popularity poll is starting tomorrow. This is the event where everyone votes on their favorite legendary released in the past year for each class and based on the results, we'll be getting leaders for the winners of each class and sometimes, some extra leaders based on who got 2nd/3rd. The winner for each class is also getting a background art so please vote for my son, Garodeth

Good time to come back to the game even if the meta's not great. The Take Two All Stars tourney is starting tomorrow and I always find that mode fun.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Legacy Decks are back!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've really been enjoying this expansion. Meta feels pretty varied (at least ime) and I have a bunch of a decks that are a blast to play and do fairly well against the top decks, so I just play what I feel like and have a blast. Helps that the anniversary gave me so many vials, I can make any deck I want pretty much and I'm set until the mini / next expansion since I have about 5 decks that I really enjoy atm, so I should be able to do the same next expansion too. It's a whole different game when you can make whatever at the start of an expansion and not have to scrape and build a deck one temp card / vial at a time lol

edit: do wish Sword and Forest weren't so bad right now though :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, it's alright. Shin is a bit annoying to fight since they spin wheels for most of the game and it definitely doesn't feel like it was intended to work that way, Crystalise is horrendous as ever and it being a meta deck is not good for the game but aside from that, not too many complaints. Except for poor ol' Sword, it really died with Mars/Taketsumi rotating and I didn't expect that.

I fiddled around with a few decks, mostly different blood decks but I think I've settled on Evo Blood for now. I feel like most of my matchups into meta decks that even to slightly unfavored with the only real bad matchups being rarer, heal heavy decks, (mostly Bahamut). I definitely considered switching to Vengeance or Ghost but Vengeance felt too bricky and I wasn't sure what I was missing when playing Ghost. I've gotten comfortable enough with Evo Blood to get to the Group A finals in this rotation tourney so I'll probably see about getting to GM with it too.