Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
FF has an issue where status effects are really powerful when they work, but because of that they usually don't. They also don't have a good way to indicate to the player when they do so it becomes a guessing game to find out unless you already know, so you don't bother trying normally and just throw damage at the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I never played FF13, but remmeber the Artix LP from a while back. The paradigm system was neat once you got into it, but it was based around a 3 character party and you're stuck with 2 character parties for the first how many hours? Which is a decision

I don't mind linear games, but the complete lack of sidequests or exploring or anything else other than corridor murder simulator was also not great

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of the defenses I heard about FF13's corridor simulator was that other games in the series, or games at large in the era were linear, and that doesn't mean bad. The problem is that its linear and one way.

FFX is probably the best comparison for corridor simulator as you're just going from place to place, road by road. But you can go backwards. You have towns to interact in rather than save points that act as static shops. In FF13, you miss something? Hopefully you realize it before you fight the boss because after that you're off to another set piece.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FFX is an interesting case because while, unlike other earlier games, you're not travelling back to a given town or home base or something (until the airship)... since the route you're travelling on is a pilgrimage, and a known route, you have NPCs travelling the same route you are at more or less the same pace.

So you have people you can regularly talk to and interact with because they're also on parts of the same journey.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

theblastizard posted:

FF has an issue where status effects are really powerful when they work, but because of that they usually don't. They also don't have a good way to indicate to the player when they do so it becomes a guessing game to find out unless you already know, so you don't bother trying normally and just throw damage at the problem.

This is something I really hate about status effects, because most of the games train you not to use them as a result of that. But then there are games where status effects are very good and you SHOULD use them when historically that's not the answer. :argh:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, Lady Mapi has pretty much said they can't really commit to this anymore. I'd prefer not to do solo. Would anyone like to be my new co-commentator?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

So, Lady Mapi has pretty much said they can't really commit to this anymore. I'd prefer not to do solo. Would anyone like to be my new co-commentator?

I would offer but I played this game already. If thats not a dealbreaker, how much time is needed?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Violet_Sky posted:

I would offer but I played this game already. If thats not a dealbreaker, how much time is needed?

We can discuss it on discord. My discord is

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 16, 2023

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
and request sent.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, everyone, sorry for taking so long to update. I wish I could say I had been cooking a lot up for you, but the reality is that I can of fell into a depression. Violet Sky and I recorded the next chapter back in August and I just could not find the energy to edit it. I do not know why. I haven't been able to work on any of my other creative projects. Yesterday, I finally felt some of my energy for my creative works coming back. I didn't do any bells and whistles. Doing anything other than just making sure it was synced up and working seemed like a bad idea. If I couldn't find the energy to do anything creative for months, probably not best to push myself and potentially turn myself off. So, I took it easy and just timed and syned the audio and video we recorded. So, sorry there isn't any on screen text or anything too fancy. I'm kind of (hopefully) coming out a funk and I got a lot of work to do (continuing the LP, finishing Petmon, doing some more vtuber stuff, working on Wild Hunt, doing the setting for the collab with another TRPG dev I met up with online and hit it off with, working with someone to finish the English translation of Seapunk, and a bunch of other stuff I kept starting but couldn't find myself able to work on these last few months).

Without further ado, here it is: Chapter 4: Part 1

We don't do view questions because I planned to do that in part 2 of chapter 4 and, well, you can see also what happened to me from my explanation above. Sorry about that. Hope you all enjoy. I did have a lot of fun making it.

I want to thank Violet_Sky for being my cohost going forward to this LP. I can't commentate for these videos on my own and it's nice having someone to work with on this project. I appreciate Violet_Sky stepped up to help me with things after Lady Mapi had to move on to other things.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 5, 2023

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hi, I'm Violet_Sky the new co host behind this episode. Obviously you can tell this is my first rodeo but I decided I wanted to do something new for once. I kinda go off on strange topics but I suppose that's what people listen to LPs for nowadays. To everyone who listens to this, thank you. It's been my goal to get myself out of my comfort zone and put myself out there. I hope I succeeded. :)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think Lightning's name doesn't come up until late in the game, she's ~mysterious~ and only once she has ~character development~ does she reveal that it isn't *_Lightning420_* but (E)claire. I can't remember if its Eclair because that's French for food lightning. And as for skipping fights, I guess that's fielders choice, since many fights are specially made to be distinct as even if one more different type of staggering enemy pops up it changes your whole strat. But yeah, the 30th fight of wolves could safely be skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
I do rather like that your keeping the losses in since it does show that the game dosn't play itself and there actually is some challenge even in the non-boss encounters.

One of the main issues with the game, to me at least, is that the game very linear while the actual story is very meandering. This time in the story where the characters are wandering around not sure what to do seems like an ideal spot for exploring and side quests. By the time the game actually opens up for exploration and side quests the story actually has some momentum and time sensitivity (in the story line not actual game play) behind it so it feel weird to be exploring and dicking around with side quests.