Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I moved to pittsburgh for a while. I remember them calling bologna "jumbo", rubberbands "gumbands", and they coloquially referred to people as yins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
My mom was full of these. Translated from Swedish as best as I am able. Translators notes in parenthesis'.

There is no cow on the ice! (with the optional add-on:) As long as the tail is still on the shore.
(It's not an issue, it's no big deal).

Better a bird in your hand than ten (birds) in the forest.
(What you have is preferable to what you may attain, essentially wishing will get you nowhere.)

Better a ten in your hand than a twenty in your foot.
(A 'ten' here referring to a swedish 10 SEK coin, basically a dollar. A twenty refers to a pitchfork used to transport hay-bales.)

A quarter past five is when dad comes home.
(I am honestly not sure what this means, because it was used regardless of if my dad was home or not)

Do not think, boy, it just bewilders you.
(Best not to overthink things. Slightly derogatory or condescending?)

Here an owl lies buried.
(Something doesn't add up)

They have a fox behind the ear.
(They are clever).

Look out on the hill, ten holes in your neck!
(Shouted when going downhill, or on a slide, or similar.)

When you speak of the trolls! (with optional add-on:) They are in your entrance-hall.
(What a coincidence.)

A Swedish Tiger.
(En Svensk Tiger is a saying amongst the military which can be translated as both A Swedish Tiger, as in a fierce defender, or a Swedish Person Remains Silent, referring to how to not give away secrets to the enemy in times of war.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Iceland something that is substandard is "not worth many fish"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Better a bird in your hand than ten (birds) in the forest.
(What you have is preferable to what you may attain, essentially wishing will get you nowhere.)

Ah yeah, we have a similar one here. "One in the hand is worth two in the bush", with essentially the same meaning.
Myself and others I know like to alter the saying depending on what we're currently doing/watching/playing, for a chuckle

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

widefault posted:

Also Wisconsin
- bubbler for water fountain you drink from

That's a drat eastern Wisconsin thing, don't lump all of Wisconsin in with that

To contribute, upper midwest gets uff da as a general purpose exclamation, could be good, could be bad, it doesn't matter.

kdrudy has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Mar 5, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Icochet posted:

"Ota kiinni mandariini, osuuskaupan tissiliivi"

It's like "catch me if you can"

Direct translation is "Catch me you mandarin, you brassiere bought from the cooperative store"

no loving way lmao

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
"Det rycker i vill-ha tarmen"
Doesn't translate easily but something like "My want-it-colon is twitching"

When you see something you really want.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Go away out of that,
would you go away out of that,
W'je g'way ow'a da'

I don't believe you/stop that/really?

Another excellent Irish one

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

ManBoyChef posted:

I moved to pittsburgh for a while. I remember them calling bologna "jumbo", rubberbands "gumbands", and they coloquially referred to people as yins

"Redd up" is my favorite thing my yinzer relatives say, as in "gotta redd up the house a bit, we got company comin' over".

"Go poo poo in a hat" or "go poo poo in the ocean" is pretty common amongst the older second generation Eye Ties around here.

I knew two different dudes from New England at different times in my life, and they both used the phrase "oval office hair" as a unit of measurement pretty frequently, without any regard for who they were saying it in front of. Not a second thought. I heard it most frequently when I'd play pool with them: "ahhhhh, missed it by a oval office hair."

fwiw both of these guys were real rough trade, the older one being my friends dad. He tried to kill a sheriff's deputy with an axe. He was allowed to leave town forever instead of getting arrested because the other guy started it. The 60s were wild.

e: The other guy was super Irish Catholic from the Boston area, and he'd refer to JFK as "our Kennedy". He hated living here "cuz the fuckin' Eye-talians killed our Kennedy."

ee: I asked my wife, and her off the boat family were fond of saying "to Hell with you and your mother." As she is fond of saying, it sounds better in Italian.

DangerDummy! has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Apr 17, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We say "sweet summer child" to refer to naive people, but it probably only makes sense where I'm from because seasons last several years at a time there

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We say "sweet summer child" to refer to naive people, but it probably only makes sense where I'm from because seasons last several years at a time there

Words are wind

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where I'm from winter lasts years but the other seasons... I've heard of. One is called Sweatnight, I believe

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Seasons in Vermont are now up to six. It goes
Spring->summer->fall->stick->winter->mud.

Mud's been around for a while, but I only heard about stick season last stick season.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

DangerDummy! posted:

e: The other guy was super Irish Catholic from the Boston area, and he'd refer to JFK as "our Kennedy".

This is super old Boston Irish poo poo that gets a nod on King of the Hill of all loving things ("Lyndon Johnson killed our Kennedy." in S2E9); I had to Google it and the character who said it (described as "an obnoxious northerner who acts like a southerner") was voiced by Billy West, who grew up in Roslindale. For some reason I was remembering it as Mayor Quimby on The Simpsons. Maybe because he's a parody of Kennedy.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

DangerDummy! posted:

I knew two different dudes from New England at different times in my life, and they both used the phrase "oval office hair" as a unit of measurement pretty frequently, without any regard for who they were saying it in front of. Not a second thought. I heard it most frequently when I'd play pool with them: "ahhhhh, missed it by a oval office hair."

In Scotland we use ball hair (pronounced "baw hair") for the same thing. Heard, and used, it in loads of situations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

venus de lmao posted:

This is super old Boston Irish poo poo that gets a nod on King of the Hill of all loving things ("Lyndon Johnson killed our Kennedy." in S2E9); I had to Google it and the character who said it (described as "an obnoxious northerner who acts like a southerner") was voiced by Billy West, who grew up in Roslindale. For some reason I was remembering it as Mayor Quimby on The Simpsons. Maybe because he's a parody of Kennedy.

Oh man, I completely forgot that episode! That's the only other time I'd heard it at that point. I thought it was just some weird quirk of his, but I also got confirmation from my old boss who was an former Bostonian.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

DangerDummy! posted:

"Redd up" is my favorite thing my yinzer relatives say, as in "gotta redd up the house a bit, we got company comin' over".

Mine drop the “to be” from sentences. “That shirt needs washed” or “I gotta get up, dinner needs made”

On another note, my Baltimore-raised in-laws found it hilarious that George Clooney played a guy named Danny Ocean, and waited for the punchline reveal on that which never came.

Baltimore slang for going to the beach is “going down to the ocean”, and in the Baltimore accent it sounds like “goin’ Danny Ocean”

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

When you speak of the trolls! (with optional add-on:) They are in your entrance-hall.
(What a coincidence.)

This makes me think of "Speak of the devil", which is also a shortening of "Speak of the devil and the horns appear" and has a similar meaning.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

skeleton warrior posted:

Mine drop the “to be” from sentences. “That shirt needs washed” or “I gotta get up, dinner needs made”

This doesn't appear to have made many inroads on the west coast yet, but I'm determined to spread the gospel of dropping the unnecessary "to be" from such phrases. "That shirt needs washed" is perfectly unambiguous as well as parsimonious. This is the way of the future.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
referring to a dry spell, 'can't even take a poo poo in a crick'

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
People in my area pronounce the word “trough” like “troth,” and when I happened to stumble across the usual pronunciation (“troff”) in the dictionary I legit thought I alone might have been somehow mishearing and mispronouncing this word my entire life, until I eventually found a dictionary that indeed listed “troth” as a hick-rear end regional pronunciation.

Also people around here sometimes say “boughten.”

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Australian poo poo here.

"Yeah nah" and "nah yeah" both of which can mean yes, no or be an uncertain equivocation depending on tone and context.

Also less a saying but there's a swathe of rural Queensland that randomly places "but" at the end of sentences without meaning. To everyone else it sounds like they're never sure of anything but it's just a vocal tic. My dad grew up with it and despite largely removing it it will come out occasionally.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A Sometimes Food posted:

Australian poo poo here.

"Yeah nah" and "nah yeah" both of which can mean yes, no or be an uncertain equivocation depending on tone and context.

The various stacking of yeah and no in American English is great.

Yeah = yes
No = no
Yeah no = no
Yeah Yeah no = yes
No Yeah = yes

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The various stacking of yeah and no in American English is great.

Yeah = yes
No = no
Yeah no = no
Yeah Yeah no = yes
No Yeah = yes

Yeah it's pretty similar to that here in South Australia, too. "Yeah nah" is no, "nah yeah" is yes, etc.
Really, it's just the final word that tends to matter. So sometimes you'll hear someone saying "oh, yeah nah yeah nah" and that can simply be interpreted as: "No" :D

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Often people here say "Jo nä" = "yes no" which then means yes.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gotta put the garbage out on the devil's strip

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah it's pretty similar to that here in South Australia, too. "Yeah nah" is no, "nah yeah" is yes, etc.
Really, it's just the final word that tends to matter. So sometimes you'll hear someone saying "oh, yeah nah yeah nah" and that can simply be interpreted as: "No" :D

What am I, invisible?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
"Shy bairns get nowt" is a local phrase that always ran true for me, as a shy bairn.

If we're extending sayings to regionalisms in general, ending sentences with "but", is kind of funny because people from elsewhere will wait for them to finish their sentences, like 'but what?'

Also calling women "man", and daughters "son" is kind of endearing, but I sometimes wondered if that's just born out of some sort of patriarchy.

Major Isoor posted:

Ah yeah, we have a similar one here. "One in the hand is worth two in the bush", with essentially the same meaning.
I think this is one of those phrases where there is a variant everywhere, I'm sure I've heard something similar.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

What am I, invisible?

Nah, you're just a Queenslander, by the sound of it! :v:

Speaking of which, is everyone over there an aggro driver? (In the urban areas at least)
Since I noticed it a lot over there, whenever I was walking around on my previous trips up that way. I'd walk down a single street and hear heaps of people getting angry at other drivers, honking away etc

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Nah, you're just a Queenslander, by the sound of it! :v:

Speaking of which, is everyone over there an aggro driver? (In the urban areas at least)
Since I noticed it a lot over there, whenever I was walking around on my previous trips up that way. I'd walk down a single street and hear heaps of people getting angry at other drivers, honking away etc

Couldn't tell you, I'm from Perth, my dad's from Queensland is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't know about now, but back in the 80s and 90s if you had long hair and wore heavy metal t shirts, ripped jeans etc .. you would have been known as a "freaker".

Most other places I've been they would have been called "rockers" but back home it was "freaker".

Haven't heard anyone use the term for a long time now, but that's what it was back then.