Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I ordered a 2TB WD Blue SN570 for my 2015 2.2ghz 15" MBP a couple weeks ago. Apparently on MacRumours this model of NVME drive is listed as being problematic with some 2013-2014 Macbooks, and I purchased the drive without having known that the jury was still out on 2015 models as well. That said, I installed Catalina as normal, transferred everything over from a 1TB Time Machine, and everything seemed to go off without a hitch, but I've noticed lately that Finder tends to be incredibly slow to notice changes in available free space on the drive itself. For example, let's say I'm using 1TB of space. If I delete 300GB and empty the trash, it will still say I'm using 1TB of space and won't update to reflect that it should say I'm only using 700GB of space for hours.

Is there a reason this might be happening, and any remedy? I've tried using Google to search "macbook slow available free space refresh" but that's a terrible way to frame it so my searches only bring up unrelated questions about system slowness rather than storage related issues.

Example:

Notice how I have simultaneously 800GB or 1200GB free depending on where I look. I deleted 400GB of files hours ago. One part of the system knows this, the other still hasn't figured it out. The trash is empty. What the gently caress is going on here?

I'm trying to use a 1TB external drive as a Time Machine backup disk, and because one part of the operation thinks I'm only using 800GB it lets me start the time machine, but then it gets to 1000GB transferred and says "Whoops, we've run out of space and this backup was a failure. Get a bigger drive, idiot." But I know for a fact it'll still work if I'm actually using less than 1TB, which I thought I was, but apparently am not. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Alternately, how can I partition this 2TB APFS drive right down the middle to have hard 1TB limits per each container so that I can use my 1TB external as a time machine for the boot container, rather than having two partitions "containers" that fluidly share free space as dictated by what's happening on the other "container"? I've been completely ignoring APFS for five years, to my detriment, and I think it's loving me over right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

XYZAB posted:

What the gently caress is going on here?

IDK but I'd be curious if a reboot fixed the issue immediately rather than waiting hours. That could narrow it down slightly.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Zogo posted:

IDK but I'd be curious if a reboot fixed the issue immediately rather than waiting hours. That could narrow it down slightly.

Reboot did not fix it, so I said gently caress it and had other things to attend to yesterday anyway, and when I check today, it's fine again:

:shepicide:

Edit: killall Finder and/or totalfinder seem to force a recheck that fixes the problem, but it's still confusing why it's happening at all.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 7, 2023