Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife grew up in a rural part of Pennsylvania and her family's still super religious. She grew up with the church being a really big part of their lives that dictated a lot of things at home. No Harry Potter at first because they "promoted witchcraft". No Pokémon because they were "demonic". That kind of stuff.

But after a while the church would back down and go "eh never mind" and even as a kid my wife questioned that kind of stuff. When she was 8 she asked the pastor if someone born on a remote island would go to Hell because they weren't Christian and didn't know Jesus and he said "yeah".

By the time she got to college she was pretty much out of it. Her parents were not super happy about us getting married outside of a church, but the buildup to 2016 and her old church openly telling everyone to vote for Donald Trump pretty much killed any motivation to ever step foot into that place ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DruidSeer posted:

How is Orthodoxy in your view?

My only exposure to Orthodoxy or Eastern Orthodoxy is through badass hymns and chants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xaj8QSJZ0E

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Did i mention the wierd old guy sucking the blood out of my freshly mutilated genitals?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Mr.Acula posted:

Did i mention the wierd old guy sucking the blood out of my freshly mutilated genitals?

no

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
A number of years back my mom told me that when she and dad first married, they wanted to hold off on kids for a couple of years. She felt, at the time, she had to go to her parish's priest and ask him if it was okay to use birth control and condoms. Fortunately the priest was cool and said, "go for it".

When she told me this story though, the thing that she despised was that she felt she had to ask for permission.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Grew up among mega-chud nondenominational baptists (yes its an oxymoron, mostly means heirarchy couldn't break up their cult) in SC and fell away HARD teen years, reading Carl Sagan's Contact in 7th grade was the first real crack but then so, so much realization that it was all built on keeping us kids away from any opposing viewpoints at all.

In later years I have come to recognize there is a vast gulf between what human institutions do and what Jesus actually said, none of the people screeching the loudest about Da Lord's Plan have actually read his words, and that the core message of the new testament, that I do not believe anyone here will attempt to deny, is that if you tell people to be excellent to one another and stop being dicks, and they start listening to you, rich folk will kill your rear end to death like that.

The SAL religion thread is really good, y'all should lurk it a while it's the only space I have ever found on the interwebs where people actually listen, make the effort not to talk past one another, and just vibe. Also, Ecclesiastes and Baghavad Gita are some good poo poo, that's that real poo poo, Ecclesiastes is literally the livejournal of a king from thousands of years ago blogging his journey, which so many of us have made, from
"Oh poo poo life is meaningless and none of this matters :( "
to
"Oh poo poo life is meaningless and none of this matters:toot:"

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
You got a link for the SAL religion thread? Also I agree, Ecclesiastes is very good. It's just pure existentialism

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Big Scary Owl posted:

You got a link for the SAL religion thread? Also I agree, Ecclesiastes is very good. It's just pure existentialism

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955347&perpage=40&noseen=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

DruidSeer posted:

How is Orthodoxy in your view?

When I worked in the Greek pizzeria I got Easter and Greek Easter off. It was pretty sweet.