Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

gently caress off we're not talking about pumpkin, cherry, blueberry or otherwise we are talking about pies. The commonwealth nations all heartily embrace the pie. Mince (ground beef), beef and pepper, beef and bacon, or chicken beef and mushroom, there are a variety of ready to eat hot savoury pies at bakeries throughout the commonwealth. Here in tropical Queensland nothing really beats the heat like sinking your teeth into a hot pastry full of steaming hot gelatinous beef. Its the perfect "on the go" food and can be obtained pretty much anywhere. You can get them frozen but hot from the bakery is the way to go.

The Classic FOUR N' TWENTY available in many freezer aisles and probably available stateside.

BEEFYS is an Aussie favorite and kicks the fillings up a notch (with a baked mash topper to boot)

BIG DAD'S PIES is a Brisbane favorite and turns the whole endeavour into a true goor-may treat with piped mash, peas and brown gravy.

However you like to enjoy your pie is up to you, on the go with a squirt of tomato sauce perhaps.

There is a French bakery near me that makes excellent pies but they cost around $11.50 a piece and are full of big chunks of beautiful stewed beef. I kinda think this defeats the purpose as a pie needs to be at least 40% gelatin and cheap as chips to satisfy my craving. Brumbys makes a decent beef and pepper pie but I'm really all about Bazza's. These frozen ones are okay too but again, pies are the perfect grab n' go meal and waiting for one of these to heat up in the oven kinda defeats the purpose for me.

dont forget the tomato sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I am already home in Murrica, Pooh. Happy New Year!!!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Happy New Year to you also

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

So empanadas then? Muy bien.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Poohs Packin posted:

Happy New Year to you also

:swoon:

I will eat your meat pie iykwim. I have been abroad more than a few times, but I have never been to Australia, England, or Scotland and I don’t remember seeing meat pies offered in my handful of times in Ireland. I was most likely drunk when I was walking in to chippers and had my mind made up on deep fried cod wrapped in newspaper, so I may have missed it. Maybe it isn’t a thing there, but I will gently caress UP a lamb based version of those next time if I see it.

----------------

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i will stake my claim as american pie enjoyer as i grew up with an english market right nearby and they're cheffing up homemade pies all day long. lines out the door for these pies. still get em whenever i'm around there and they are tasty. pork pies, lamb pies, steak and kidney pies, you name it and this place will make it

i also gently caress with the scotch eggs there heavily. pork pie and a scotch egg is a good meal

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

barnold posted:

i will stake my claim as american pie enjoyer as i grew up with an english market right nearby and they're cheffing up homemade pies all day long. lines out the door for these pies. still get em whenever i'm around there and they are tasty. pork pies, lamb pies, steak and kidney pies, you name it and this place will make it

i also gently caress with the scotch eggs there heavily. pork pie and a scotch egg is a good meal

This just flashed me back. I lived with my immigrant grandparents from England and now I remember minced meat pies as a child. They were small like butter tarts in the flaky crust and I mistakingly ate one of those instead of a butter tart. Maybe it was the shock to the taste buds expecting a different flavor, but I was grossed the gently caress out. I hope the recipe has changed since the early 80’s (self own).

----------------

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Szyznyk posted:

So empanadas then? Muy bien.

some of us appreciate proper pies.

they taste better straight from the desk drawer.

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cornish pasties are pretty popular in many mining areas of the US like wisconsin, pennsylvania and arizona. y'all probably don't have anything like those in the dang commonwealth

----------------

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
these small non dessert pies suck poo poo and were rightly abandoned by the founding fathers

----------------

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I made cottage pie yesterday, really good used sourdough chunks instead of flour to thicken it and a nice layer of parm on top to crisp it up

----------------

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My favorite food of all time is a pork pie from Stanforth Butchers in Skipton, UK. My aunt took us there for lunch and we got piping hot pork pies and one bite all the juice ran down your chin and it was the most loving delicious thing ever. I honestly have no idea how or why they aren't a staple in the USA because we are pork obsessed to a crazy degree.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
proof of a real pork pie (image not doctored) from the us of a that i am currently enjoying from the market

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6VTp4IDN2c
This british man makes a lot of pies. He makes good pies, which are worth a look if you plan to cook any.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

i say swears online posted:

cornish pasties are pretty popular in many mining areas of the US like wisconsin, pennsylvania and arizona. y'all probably don't have anything like those in the dang commonwealth

Errr I'd have said the UP of Michigan, over any of those places (Arizona?!) - but I've seen them on US cooking shows and sometimes you make them wrong. They should not be round. They definitely shouldn't have gravy on them. And they always seem to have carrots which I personally can tolerate but is at least somewhat controversial in Cornwall/Devon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gravy rules

barnold posted:

proof of a real pork pie (image not doctored) from the us of a that i am currently enjoying from the market

this beautiful round boy is begging for some

----------------