Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

So interesting story behind this one...

Engine runs (it's pretty leaky and it puffs some oil smoke on startup though). Transmission'a fine, at least from the cursory analysis while getting it up on the trailer.

The donor (a friend of ours) says she was living with a boyfriend that soon became an ex-boyfriend. He has apparently sabotaged this vehicle in multiple ways wherein it will randomly shut off.

She says no mechanic can figure it out. I read this as no mechanic wants to hold onto it to diagnose it.

AI can help with this one! What should I check? Figure clean the gas tank out, check for wiring damage, hook a scan tool up to it, would be a good start.

runs fine but when it's running it shuts off? snake the exhaust pipes if thats a thing. brake booster leaks and anything that prevents the pcv system from preventing an over pressure that could possibly stall the engine during operation. could legitimately be a poo poo car too and ex boy friend was just present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

AI can help with this one! What should I check? Figure clean the gas tank out, check for wiring damage, hook a scan tool up to it, would be a good start.

Depends on how smart the ex was lol. If he's a tech or knows cars well enough it could be a myriad of things.

Check the intake tube for a sock :v:

Banana in the tailpipe trick too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I can't wait to see how stupid it is.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Well dang, sounds like I'm gonna have to buy that Autel after all. Drat. Shoot.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Well dang, sounds like I'm gonna have to buy that Autel after all. Drat. Shoot.

i'm looking at one also, freaking yikes at the price

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

You should do a donation pool thing where the person who guesses correctly on their donation message gets a gang tag.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Commodore_64 posted:

You should do a donation pool thing where the person who guesses correctly on their donation message gets a gang tag.

Oh MAN that's a great idea. I'll see if the Great AI Mods would go for something like that.

Hey btw if anyone wanted a comparison on the XTOOL D7/D8/D9/D9Pro and doesn't want to spend 2 or 3 hours wasting your life:

I looked on their website trying to see if all of those green Y's above were made the same. Every single one that has a pdf downloads the exact same pdf for the D7 and the D9 Pro.

I'd look through stuff like Autel and SnapOn, but I feel like the price of entry for those is such that I will buy the D7 above and if it can't do something I'll look at the cost to buy something that can.

e: They also all use Android 5.1 and a quad-core processor, with 1.6GHz for the D7 and D8 and 1.8GHz for the D9 and D9 Pro. Think everything but the D7 has 2GB RAM and 64GB ROM. I have no earthly idea why you would buy a D9 or D9 Pro with this info. Dunno why you'd do the D8 unless you wanted to do ECU coding for Ford/Mazda/VAG products or had an ADAS you wanted to use.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 3, 2023

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh yeah, so last Wednesday we just about got to engine out time!

Taking the intake manifold off:

Pivoting to under the car, to get to the motor mounts and bellhousing bolts:

Almost there!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Adiabatic posted:

Oh yeah, so last Wednesday we just about got to engine out time!

As someone who has never gotten to do car stuff beyond driving, this content rules and I'm so happy to see it

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
you look majestic as gently caress adiabetic lmao, im coming up this month lol

edit: not next week, probably the week after. gotta go to my future job shop next Wednesday to meet my technician trainer

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Any updates?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Any updates?