Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Thing is, the cage always looked like a NASCAR covered mess (a bit less than now). They just wanted a bigger cut of the sponsorship money and to prevent fighters from doing advertising of a brand on a card they weren't tied into.

Yup, it was always a bullshit excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Was that when stun gun slapped someone for talking poo poo or something?
That description also reminded me of that classic Yoel bit when Masvidal said he'd brought back up somewhere and the camera panned over to Yoel sitting in like a dark corner of the room looking terrifying.

It was a great moment in kpop history when the fashion was for the boy band to be murdered in graphic fashion at the end of the video. Akiyama gutted one of them with a kitchen knife.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Was that when stun gun slapped someone for talking poo poo or something?
That description also reminded me of that classic Yoel bit when Masvidal said he'd brought back up somewhere and the camera panned over to Yoel sitting in like a dark corner of the room looking terrifying.

There was a trend in KPop music videos for a while where the group/singer got killed off in a "gangster" style way at the end of a video for some stupid reason.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Ah for some reason i thought there was a real incident not just that music video. Now i think I might be misremembering someone saying they were gonna slap TKZ's friend or something :psyduck:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ah for some reason i thought there was a real incident not just that music video. Now i think I might be misremembering someone saying they were gonna slap TKZ's friend or something :psyduck:

Yeah this happened. It was Brian Ortega.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hey, speaking of the UFC and bullshit excuses, remember when Derrick Lewis disappeared from his own main-event mid-card and the UFC made absolutely sure to note multiple times that it was a stomach problem and 100% not related to COVID, which is totally over and not a problem anymore?

guess what

quote:

“It was a bummer,” says Lewis. “I wanted to fight. I felt like I trained as hard as I could, but I ended up getting COVID. No one knows this but my family and my coaches. I ended up catching COVID the week of the fight.”

His bout with COVID-19 currently has shown no long-term effects, but it was a difficult process while he was sick.

“I probably had COVID for three weeks after that,” says Lewis. “It was just hard. But I’m feeling good. I trained even harder for this fight. I’ve heard about the suffering that can come from COVID when it comes to your lungs. So I trained hard, and I’m feeling healthy. I haven’t had any issues.”

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Prime energy drink is the one that people over here in the UK have been going feral over, selling for upwards of £10 a bottle and as high as £100 for a crate. Barely flavoured coconut water, apparently.

KSI and Paul are also conspicuously not actually ingesting the drink on any of the adverts.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Prime energy drink is the one that people over here in the UK have been going feral over, selling for upwards of £10 a bottle and as high as £100 for a crate. Barely flavoured coconut water, apparently.

KSI and Paul are also conspicuously not actually ingesting the drink on any of the adverts.

UFC adjavent but i remember when Gracie Breakdown was a thing and they tried to hard push Acai and coconut water, and the sterility of coconut water, not mentioning it tastes horrible

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is it? I hadn't noticed anything about it.

Didn't Paul just sign a big deal with one or whatever?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Is it? I hadn't noticed anything about it.

Didn't Paul just sign a big deal with one or whatever?

I...gently caress. I don't even want to admit that I know this, but the drink is Logan, the older one who seems to make the dumber decisions (you might recall the forest thing, that was him). Jake, the younger brother, signed to fight in PFL, though personally I maintain that he's never gonna get a real opponent.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Logan Paul is the elder one who filmed the dead body in the "suicide forest" in Japan and posted it as his thumbnail and made jokes about the guy being dead. (On top of other semi-racist poo poo he did there). He boxed Floyd Mayweather in an exhibition bout. Dana praised Logan and said maybe to when Logan posited he could compete in the UFC.

Jake Paul is the younger one who KO'd Woodley & Askren and fought Anderson Silva recently and whose management company MVP Promotions signed a deal with PFL and is set to fight in their "Super Fight Division" etc. He is the one Dana hates.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also there was this today on ESPN by DC's co-host for his MMA podcast/show.

https://twitter.com/SpringSpringB/status/1620728670536232966

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Just now seeing the thread after a while and thanks for the Sexyama updates because every time I see his name now I just can’t help but chuckle and smile wistfully thinking about that ONE fight with Aoki. God that was so good

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

It’s all because that KSI fella is absolutely massive in the UK, no?

(Also I had it once because it was 2 for $3 at a quickie mart here. Went straight back to BioSteel.)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mekchu posted:

Also there was this today on ESPN by DC's co-host for his MMA podcast/show.

https://twitter.com/SpringSpringB/status/1620728670536232966

I can't take fighters named gilbert seriously. Can only see them as giblerts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brand integration sucks poo poo and I try to make a point out of not buying from companies that poison what I'm looking at by doing it.

Eat that poo poo up with a spoon, market researchers.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey that stupid as gently caress idiot Dana White and his equally stupid as gently caress Power Slap league is promoting their poo poo on Rumble.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1620589932271267840

That's right, the white power ~alternative~ to YouTube has the Dana White Power Slap League.

Also lmao that UFC is having to poo poo out these sort of tweets rather than divorce itself of that stuff.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How do the ufcs owners let their employee use company resources to promote a competitor that their employer owns

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
In better news, PFL champ Larissa Pacheco says Bolsonaro is a genocidal poo poo head

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1620784175379783685?t=N6WATpUKsMLkMrTBY08tlw&s=19

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

COPE 27 posted:

How do the ufcs owners let their employee use company resources to promote a competitor that their employer owns

I assume, much like the DWCS, it is somehow under the Endeavor umbrella or failing that there's some Company A paying Company B poo poo that keeps the money inhouse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

In better news, PFL champ Larissa Pacheco says Bolsonaro is a genocidal poo poo head

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1620784175379783685?t=N6WATpUKsMLkMrTBY08tlw&s=19

:peanut:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
also in good news, esther lin (all elbows) got her account back after it was hacked by nft dorks

i realize she isn't in the mma mediascape any more, but she has taken some incredible pictures, so this counts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

also in good news, esther lin (all elbows) got her account back after it was hacked by nft dorks

i realize she isn't in the mma mediascape any more, but she has taken some incredible pictures, so this counts

Esther is MMA-important emeritus.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Esther Lin stopped photgraphing MMA? She always took great pictures.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She left MMA stuff due to the pandemic and iirc is doing freelance voice acting/voice over work these days.

Edit - oh, seems she also does photography for pro wrestling these days.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 1, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

Just now seeing the thread after a while and thanks for the Sexyama updates because every time I see his name now I just can’t help but chuckle and smile wistfully thinking about that ONE fight with Aoki. God that was so good

I always think of his fight with Misaki

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kri kri posted:

I always think of his fight with Misaki

I was very pro-Misaki over the ethics of the cheating, but the Japanese audience response seemed too grounded in the anti ethnic Korean aspect.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Esther is MMA-important emeritus.

:hai:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

I was very pro-Misaki over the ethics of the cheating, but the Japanese audience response seemed too grounded in the anti ethnic Korean aspect.

Akiyama/Choo's history is rife with tons of drama. He was essentially benched from the Korean national judo team for being "not good (read: Korean) enough" due to his Japanese citizenship etc, despite actually good enough and then joined the Japanese team and beat the Korean in the bronze medal match at the Pan Asia games which basically made Koreans hate him for "betraying his country." (Ignoring he was told he wasn't good enough to represent Korea, plus he got bullied on the Japanese team for being ethnic Korean).

Then there's the greasing allegation in Judo.

Then the Sakuraba greasing.

Then the controversy over whether or not he was a downed opponent when Misaki head kicked him and if that was allowed in the rules.

In short: Akiyama/Choo is very much a guy who does things his own way and doesn't seem to care if it upsets a group or not. And I kinda respect that since he's stuck between two worlds.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It is time to collectively admit we lost the battle against the absolute motherfucker that was January. Gather Sexyama under your arms and rush to the February thread, where we will hopefully be safe.