Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/maxgladstone/status/1658914925589467136?s=20

This is one of the authors of Time War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/crazynabe/status/1662465839164186625?t=FFwS-ZXBhV_gPHoEvn-Ttw&s=19

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

6 billion double calories

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I showed Stampede to a friend who saw the original ages ago. He requires a dub and I thought it was phenomenal all the way through, and in fact was a huge improvement to Roberto as a character. I think I'd actually recommend it over the sub for that reason as long as you don't have any audio processing disorders or you're against looser translations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really enjoyed JYB on the dub because he brings a ton of manic energy to Vash's physical comedy scenes. The tone of the show gets really dour towards the end of the cour especially in the original audio so I appreciated JYB's efforts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I really enjoyed JYB on the dub because he brings a ton of manic energy to Vash's physical comedy scenes. The tone of the show gets really dour towards the end of the cour especially in the original audio so I appreciated JYB's efforts.

And he’s only gotten better since the original Trigun (which I think was also one of his first voice acting roles not counting the in suit segments on PR)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I really liked the stampede dub too

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Asked and paid someone to try doing a style transfer from 1990s Vash to 2020s Vash. They are starting out but impressed they got the patch

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In spite of the weaknesses in Knives' characterisation in the 90s anime, there is one scene that has always stuck with me which illuminated a philosophical difference between Vash and Knives that made their respective actions make sense.

Vash trying to save the butterfly from the web, and Knives killing the spider.

Vash is horrified that Knives would kill the spider, but Knives points out it's the same effect, it's just cruel for the spider to die slowly from starvation rather than instantly from being crushed. Knives ended up seeing humans and plants the same way, humans would have to kill the plants to survive, Knives wanted to save the plants and it was only logical then to kill all the humans. Knives was obviously wrong, because humans and plants wasn't an either or, he just saw it that way due to his experiences, he was using the wrong analogy for the situation and too damaged to realise it. At least though I understood why he was doing what he was doing, you could look at him and go "yeah, I get why you're doing this".

The new version feels a lot more like a stock villain who is doing things because he is bad, rather than because he has drawn the entirely wrong conclusions and is too wrapped up in that certainty and how far he's gone over the edge to be willing to question it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hooman posted:

The new version feels a lot more like a stock villain who is doing things because he is bad, rather than because he has drawn the entirely wrong conclusions and is too wrapped up in that certainty and how far he's gone over the edge to be willing to question it.

in the new version he drew his conclusions from reading the bible/history and then seeing that humans had chopped another independent plant into bits and kept the remains preserved in a secret tube. "it's us or them" seems like a reasonable conclusion from there?

in the 90s anime i think a lot of his actions came from the reaction to his logic being both extreme and not a logical rebuttal, which didn't teach him that he was wrong but instead isolated him and kept his beliefs something that was true but not something anyone else would understand, and he spiraled out from there. here his actions come from "the humans themselves record a history of violence against their own kind, much less another, and i have found definitive proof that there's nothing stopping them from butchering us" which is a little more direct than killing a spider -> kill everyone

not to mention later finding a ton of plants that the humans were openly planning on killing for "one last big surge of energy" as a way to squeeze some extra juice out of them before they die instead of take care of them. knive's behavior in stampede is a mirror of how he sees humans treat plants: disposable tools with some short term usefulness. the main difference between him and the humans is he has no interest in keeping humans around to exploit long term, because they're an existential threat to him but aside from knives plants aren't really a threat to humans.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 25, 2023

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I think if Stampede had gone just a little further with Tesla than just showing her body torn apart in the tubes, it would make Knives's motivations less stock-villain-like. The manga makes a point of showing Tesla as a baby and a young child - just like we saw with Vash and Knives. She looks just like a regular human child, yet the researchers experiment on her like a thing to be studied and taken apart. As they read the report and look at the rather gruesome images of Tesla's body wasting away, it's really not that far off to ask "Okay, so are Vash and Knives next?" The researchers seem to regret what they did when we see them later, but Vash and Knives don't know that when they find Tesla's body and experiment notes.

Vash and Knives finding their bios stored with Tesla's in Stampede was a nice touch. It's another way for the audience (and the twins) to question if the humans wanted to continue their experiments.

I think in 98, as a kid Knives's says something like "Will I also be eaten one day?" And I think that's a pretty good summation of his motivations in all versions of Trigun. Knives's motivations are fueled by his fear.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Tesla come back into play again during the back half of the manga? If so, it’s possible Stampede Season 2 might still be able to do something

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like Stampede makes Knives' motivation more sensible but the conflict between Vash and him is more muted as kids, where 98 sets up the conflict between Vash a bit better while making Knives seem quite a bit more psychotic.

You don't really see the plants being exploited in 98. Yeah the humans rely on them but you're not seeing them be discarded like trash. In Stampede you witness Knives *seeing* humans basically using his kind up like they're garbage. It makes sense. But him being so crazy with Vash seems a little weird because the conflict almost comes off more like a mild disagreement that ramps up to 100 real quick.

In 98 you see them start to come apart on the SEED ship with the spider/butterfly argument, and having Knives create the guns and explicitly be like "Yeah lets go genocide some poo poo". Then Vash shoots Knives at July. It's clear how they come apart. Knive's motivation in torturing Vash to mentally break him makes a lot more sense to me in 98.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i felt like in stampede knive's immense hatred of humans and how often he's validated in that did a good job of explaining why he's so attached to vash - vash is the only non-human around. so yeah knives is obsessed with him, on a basic level vash is the only person knives could remotely consider worth talking to.

i think in both versions there's a really strong sense of social isolation fueling knives' actions and that's neat

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in stampede it seems like he's trying to get vash to think at all, and failing miserably.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in stampede it seems like he's trying to get vash to think at all, and failing miserably.
Vash comes off as a naive baby in self-denial in Stampede which considering it's basically the prologue to everything makes sense.

In 98 it is made very clear where Vash and Knives parted ways and that it was explicitly a conflict between the two, and not just Vash wandering around for shits and giggles.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Larryb posted:

Does Tesla come back into play again during the back half of the manga? If so, it’s possible Stampede Season 2 might still be able to do something

No, unfortunately. She shows up when Vash and Knives find the reports and her body, and that's about it. I think there's a scene later on where Knives asks Vash if he's forgotten her. Vash replies that of course he hasn't forgotten, and he's still pissed about it, but he's not going to let that fuel him when he knows that humans have the capacity to be good. It's been a minute since I've read Trimax, so that may be a little off, but I do know they have a conversation about her and that's it. That all doesn't mean that Orange couldn't do something more with Tesla, they definitely have been inventive with other aspects of the show.

Speaking of motivations, I hope Final Phase develops the dependent plant motivations and wants more. Knives says he's trying to kill humans to save plants, and Vash believes that humans can survive with plants in a way that doesn't result in humans abusing plants. But I can't think of a time when either of them outright asked any of them, "Hey, what do you want?" I know there are plants that must agree with Knives, as there's a scene when the plants rise up and someone remarks that there could be a rebellion against mankind by plants, but I don't remember anything ever being explicitly stated.

There's a lot of weird and cool poo poo in the manga that didn't get elaborated on. I hope Stampede continues to get weird with it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I have terrible memory, did Stampede show the bit where it was Vash who got super angry and ended up threatening to kill Rem after the whole Tesla thing?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Kazy posted:

I have terrible memory, did Stampede show the bit where it was Vash who got super angry and ended up threatening to kill Rem after the whole Tesla thing?

Nope, I'm hoping they're going to cover the fallout from that in the next season.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

in the new version he drew his conclusions from reading the bible/history and then seeing that humans had chopped another independent plant into bits and kept the remains preserved in a secret tube. "it's us or them" seems like a reasonable conclusion from there?

in the 90s anime i think a lot of his actions came from the reaction to his logic being both extreme and not a logical rebuttal, which didn't teach him that he was wrong but instead isolated him and kept his beliefs something that was true but not something anyone else would understand, and he spiraled out from there. here his actions come from "the humans themselves record a history of violence against their own kind, much less another, and i have found definitive proof that there's nothing stopping them from butchering us" which is a little more direct than killing a spider -> kill everyone

not to mention later finding a ton of plants that the humans were openly planning on killing for "one last big surge of energy" as a way to squeeze some extra juice out of them before they die instead of take care of them. knive's behavior in stampede is a mirror of how he sees humans treat plants: disposable tools with some short term usefulness. the main difference between him and the humans is he has no interest in keeping humans around to exploit long term, because they're an existential threat to him but aside from knives plants aren't really a threat to humans.

Sorry I didn't mean to say it wasn't a reasonable conclusion. I agree that stampede has been much clearer as to why the twins should have absolutely been terrified of humans, it was just that the show hasn't really drawn a distinction in the viewpoints of Vash and Knives as to why they differed. Why did Vash react the way he did to discovering that, why did Knives react the way he did? It was such a small thing in the 98 series, but has stuck with me all these years because it perfectly captured the philosophical difference between the twins, Vash saves the butterfly, Knives kills the spider. Vash believes all life should be protected even when that is self contradictory, Knives believes that if you want to achieve your goals, you have to take the necessary actions, no matter how cruel they may seem.

I really enjoyed stampede, I'm by no means down on it, and am looking forward to the second season. I just hope that Knives can be a bit more understandable.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well I think Stampede showed it pretty crystal clearly, but not with such an on-the-nose example. Vash and Knives both experienced the same events, but processed and handled it very differently, because they were different people. Vash chose to try to understand and have sympathy for the people around him. Knives reacted with mistrust and self preservation. They were simply different people experiencing the same trauma but coming out different at the end of it.

I like Stampede's more indirect way of showing it, just because it leaves it up to the viewer to understand Vash and Knives, rather than telling you directly, and therefore when you do I feel like you have a deeper understanding of them emotionally. I really reeaaalllly liked Knives' frustrated comment near the end, "You had more than a century to think about it and that's the best you could come up with!?" because you can understand both of their mindsets at that point and the comment shows just how polar opposites they see the world just by how differently they processed their childhood traumas. They both have the same experience and know the same facts, but evolved into two people with a completely unbridgeable chasm between their world views.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 26, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah knives is super introspective and plays game theory in all situations with the assumption that everyone will behave purely in their own self interests, while vash is emotionally invested in the people around him and believes that they can be the best versions of themselves. I think more than a philosophical divide there's that deeper underlying drive to them. Knives isolates first and then only turns to others out of necessity, while vash seeks comfort first and then isolates out of necessity. I guess you could call it individualist vs communal?

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Otakon is this weekend, and Studio Orange has a panel. SO tweeted to out a sneak peek of some early character designs they plan to show off in the panel, and included is a scribble of Milly!

https://twitter.com/cg_orange_inc/status/1684991025947799559

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She's beautiful.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Yes

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 27, 2023