Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I saw a post and it had a picture from a part of Monkey Island in it that I'd forgotten about so now I'm going to play the first two for the first time since like 1993.

But that's not why I made the thread. There's a new one that came out last year. How does it hold up against the first two? It reviewed well but all game reviewers are liars with bad taste so that doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

I have little to add other than I have friends and family who enjoyed the latest one, and that I've heard rumors that the payoff is rather lame.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's definitely a sequel to MI2

If you didn't like the ending to that then the new one probably isn't for you.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You should play The Curse of Monkey Island; I remember it being my favorite of the series.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I played it but it just didn't leave the same impression on me as the first two.

Captain Splendid posted:

It's definitely a sequel to MI2

If you didn't like the ending to that then the new one probably isn't for you.

I didn't dislike it at the time, but I was 10 years old so maybe I would now. Could you elaborate? Does it bounce between real world and monkey island world?

lolman
Jan 7, 2023

a real newbie
I have not tried it but I will try it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I saw a post and it had a picture from a part of Monkey Island in it that I'd forgotten about so now I'm going to play the first two for the first time since like 1993.

But that's not why I made the thread. There's a new one that came out last year. How does it hold up against the first two? It reviewed well but all game reviewers are liars with bad taste so that doesn't help.

I like it quite a lot overall, as a longtime fan of the series. It's simpler than adventure games were back then in terms of puzzling, but that's not necessarily bad as you don't tend to get stuck for so long on stuff. The biggest surprise was just how natural it felt to get back into the series when it's been dead for well over a decade, especially with Gilbert stepping in for a major role for the first time since the early '90s. I definitely recommend it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the one for PS 2 was fun hard to believe point and click adventures did not get more action for consoles

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Is the ending that monkey island doesn't actually have any monkeys?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Saalkin posted:

Is the ending that monkey island doesn't actually have any monkeys?

Monkey Island is actually a peninsula!

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

The new one is really good.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I played it but it just didn't leave the same impression on me as the first two.

I didn't dislike it at the time, but I was 10 years old so maybe I would now. Could you elaborate? Does it bounce between real world and monkey island world?

Without going into too much detail yes, it basically continues on the theme of "is this real or just someone's overactive imagination?"

I enjoyed it but it felt like it was working its way towards something that was just suddenly dropped at the end.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 9, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thought this thread was going to be about how LeChuck's voice actor just died.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I didn't know that or that he was the shrink from the Terminator. Sadly it looks like he didn't reprise the role for the recent one.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Some of the voices seemed really off. IIRC Guybrush was great as always but Elaine and LeChuck both seemed way different. There was also too much generalized “I can’t use these two things together” and not enough overly specific “and risk hitting a passing marlin?” lines

The art was a bold decision, but upon playing the game I found it was just too simplified and ugly

It has a nice snappy interface. Puzzles were fun but I sensed some areas had content cut

You should play it though

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Richter Scabies posted:

I have friends and family

Wow nice humblebrag :rolleyes:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pre:
         (__)
         (oo)
  /-------\/
 / |     ||
+  ||----||
   ~~    ~~

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I liked the new Monkey Island and recommend any MI fan to play it.

I hope they make more.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The store keeper guy telling you not to put your lips on anything in MI1 makes me laugh

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I did not like the new one OP. The art style is not as good as pixel junk from the first two or as charming as the third. Feels kinda cal-arts to me.

Also, I played it for about 2 hours and I don't think I laughed, so yeah.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

kntfkr posted:

I did not like the new one OP. The art style is not as good as pixel junk from the first two or as charming as the third. Feels kinda cal-arts to me.

You will be put to death as it is decreed in the Bible and Quran

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You will be put to death as it is decreed in the Bible and Quran

Decree deez nuts mister.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange.

Uhhhhhh.... door hinge.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kntfkr posted:

The art style is not as good as pixel junk from the first two or as charming as the third. Feels kinda cal-arts to me.

Chelsea Clinton children's picture book, the game

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Chelsea Clinton children's picture book, the game

This sounds horrible. Does it teach children how to do nothing except get born and be gifted Manhattan real estate?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i compose my posts with cow tools

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

kntfkr posted:

I am curious by what you mean when you say it "feels kinda cal-arts". I am aware of the school Cal-Arts, but I am not a visual artist so the reference goes over my head.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am curious by what you mean when you say it "feels kinda cal-arts". I am aware of the school Cal-Arts, but I am not a visual artist so the reference goes over my head.

Some neo nazi youtubers started using "The Cal Arts school" to refer to cartoons with round, shapeless characters like Gumball and Steven Universe, citing the trend as a downturn in animation quality fueled by a large number of talentless leftist animators coming out of that college who were using their cartoons to indoctrinate babies into being gay or something.

Of course, that just happens to be a school that produces a lot of animators, and that visual style was just something that was easy to get studios to pick up due to the success of Regular Show and Adventure Time. The fact that they also tried to lump things like High Guardian Spice and the She-Ra reboot into the same "school" of animation is pretty clear evidence that the term is largely an attempt to incite culture war bullshit on youtube over children's cartoons.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They released special editions of MI1+2 that got rid of all of the pixel art, added full voice acting, and changed the interface to scroll wheel.

I'm playing number 2 now and I've forgotten almost all the puzzles. I know I need to make a monkey play the piano but I'm not sure if that's before or after I poison the vichyssoise.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

drat right I do

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pre:
              (      )
              ~(^^^^)~
               ) @@ \~_          |\
              /     | \        \~ /
             ( 0  0  ) \        | |
              ---___/~  \       | |
               /'__/ |   ~-_____/ |
o          _   ~----~      ___---~
  O       //     |         |
         ((~\  _|         -|
   o  O //-_ \/ |        ~  |
        ^   \_ /         ~  |
               |          ~ |
               |     /     ~ |
               |     (       |
                \     \      /\
               / -_____-\   \ ~~-*
               |  /       \  \
               / /         / /
             /~  |       /~  |
             ~~~~        ~~~~

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I played Secret of Monkey Island as a teen and I never finished it because there was nowhere to look up how to get past the puzzles

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I played Secret of Monkey Island as a teen and I never finished it because there was nowhere to look up how to get past the puzzles

Should've been like me, and looked up the walkthrough in the pile of Amiga computing magazines your dad subscribed to over the years :smugdog:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
ok....so maybe not "cal-arts", but whatever this is,

I don't like it

vs

this, i like.

The old pixel art of the first two felt really cozy and the cel art of the third was beautiful. Maybe I'm just older and a dickhead but the new style I look at and it just makes me think of graphic designers I've worked with that had tri-force tattoos and funko-pops on their desk.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You always need a long piece of string in games like these.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

kntfkr posted:

ok....so maybe not "cal-arts", but whatever this is,

I don't like it

vs

this, i like.

The old pixel art of the first two felt really cozy and the cel art of the third was beautiful. Maybe I'm just older and a dickhead but the new style I look at and it just makes me think of graphic designers I've worked with that had tri-force tattoos and funko-pops on their desk.

The new game looks like the "corporate art" that is all over graphic design these days. It's also an odd choice because now more than ever, a return to form pixel art game would be welcomed and appreciated.

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
And you smell like one too