Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The Rig is a new 6 episode show on Amazon Prime starring Jorah Mormont Iain Glen as Magnus MacMillan, grizzled captain of an oil rig somewhere in the North Sea. Emily Hampshire plays Burke Rose Mason, the company rep whose job it is to downplay risks and say things like “we could have kept the drill running” when the rest of the crew try to follow basic safety procedures.

The basic premise is that a weird fogbank comes out of nowhere and cuts off all communication with the outside world.

As of Ep1 the feel is like a mixture of Alien and, well, The Fog. I’m quite enjoying it if only for the claustrophobia and the sense of impending doom, and of course Iain Glen’s dulcet tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I did not like The Rig. There just wasn't enough to the premise for a 6 episode series. Also, the explanation behind the mystery of the show was kind of dumb.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
I felt it started off strong, and seemed to be imitating The Thing. However, whenever anything was explained it just got intensely stupid. The explanations were halfassed 6th grader ‘wow I read an article on Wikipedia and now I know the word Ordovician’ explanations with no logical coherency.

It felt like someone filling out a madlibs and just inserting random words to explain away events.
The more it explained the dumber it got, it felt like a head writer quit after writing the setup and a bunch of amateurs scrambled to come up with dumb explanations.

The big bad monster is… a giant progress bar? The ‘hive mind bacteria’ was so vaguely motivated it felt ridiculous. The theme can be written well, such as in Isaac Asimov’s ‘Nemesis’ (a book about a bacterial hivemind), but instead it just seemed like a hacky Lindelof-esque ‘make up spooky poo poo at random’. The ‘petrochemical company is bad’ came across so cheesy it felt like a eco-terrorist fanfic.

Drunkenboxer
Oct 3, 2007

eh?
I thought it was okay until episode 5. The entirety of episode 5 is one ridiculous thing after another with a huge amount of experienced people acting incredibly stupid and completely against their character until that point. It completely destroyed any goodwill I had for the show

Had also hoped it was potentially a Chuthulu imprisoned scenario, or something along those lines, but the writers are cowards.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the only rig i care about is my ryzen 5 3600 16gb ram gtx 3060ti. show bad.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Yeah ultimately a disappointing half-assed mystery box. Almost any other ending would have been better.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

so the rig was a rag

i was about to watch that but with so many excellent and good movies coming out on a daily basis, i just don't have time to waste on jorah being the best part of a bogus series.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The show does seem to suffer from trying to over-explain itself, when keeping things in broad terms or even just outright leaning into the fantastical would probably have been better. It might well have worked better if they'd just gone with this is just Literally Gaia From Mythology coming to gently caress humanity up using magic. Going on and on about bacteria and chorals and whatever else just just wasted a lot of time on things that ultimately didn't matter.

Also they really needed to find a better way to light the greenscreened outdoor scenes, almost none of them looked convincing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Goreld posted:

The big bad monster is… a giant progress bar?

What;'s this mean? I'm not watching this but I love stupid poo poo

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What;'s this mean? I'm not watching this but I love stupid poo poo

Basically, the threat is a sort of hive mind bacterial colony. It grows in glowing concentric circles along the sea floor, eating away at the bedrock near a cliff as it completes each circle. During the last episodes, the big threat is that if it were to complete the most recent, outermost circle, it would lead to an underwater rockslide which would in turn cause a tsunami that would ravage the British coast.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 13, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Okay so what's the downside

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Sounds like the kind of thing that would have been a three- or four-part BBC miniseries like The Nightmare Man back in the 80s (or a four-part Doctor Who story), but they padded it out to six hours because Prestige Drama.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had a bad feeling about this 20 min in and checked the thread. Glad I skipped.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

oh it's bad, nevermind then.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I enjoyed seeing King Robert, first of his name, again along with Jorah and that annoying dude from the Night's Watch.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Payndz posted:

Sounds like the kind of thing that would have been a three- or four-part BBC miniseries like The Nightmare Man back in the 80s (or a four-part Doctor Who story), but they padded it out to six hours because Prestige Drama.

It's funny you say this because it absolutely felt like the Tardis was going to land at any minute and Matt Smith was going to show up to solve everything. It felt like something from 2007-era BBC if that makes sense (and yeah, I know Smith wasn't the doctor until after that).

But yeah, it absolutely is a mix of The Thing (down to someone proposing the blood test) and The Fog with The Kraken Wakes (which they have a character reading and commenting on).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Why the hell didn't they just adapt The Kraken Wakes then? If you want horror rising from beneath the sea around Britain, that's your book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny you say this because it absolutely felt like the Tardis was going to land at any minute and Matt Smith was going to show up to solve everything. It felt like something from 2007-era BBC if that makes sense (and yeah, I know Smith wasn't the doctor until after that).

The Rig's got a lot in common with Fury From The Deep, a super old Doctor Who serial from the 60's.