Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont understand how nearly every game both teams can come away feeling screwed by the officiating, and people have been complaining about the poor quality of the refs for years. why wont the league do anything about it?

do you think the refs are really that blind or are they being told to influence the game somehow? with performances as bad as yesterdays i wouldnt be surprised if it's the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just hate the even it up mindset.

No, if one team takes a penalty just keep calling the game, don't scrutinize looking for reasons the other team needs one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I like it when the refs do a bad job that helps my team. the big thing i like to do then is to post somewhere about how bad and wrong it was, and how my team benefitted unfairly. Then in real life I laugh and pump my fist while people think i'm fair and level-headed

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
NHL refs are cowards who will just let poo poo go based on the situation. Like maybe they just gave a team a five on three powerplay and then after that powerplay expires the penalized team does something that is very much worth a penalty but they don't get called because they just got penalized.

They ref the situation/score instead of just calling what they see

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

fart simpson posted:

i dont understand how nearly every game both teams can come away feeling screwed by the officiating, and people have been complaining about the poor quality of the refs for years. why wont the league do anything about it?

do you think the refs are really that blind or are they being told to influence the game somehow? with performances as bad as yesterdays i wouldnt be surprised if it's the latter

In the case of the NBA, it is partially because they have spent the last several years trying to train an entire league's worth of refs because they never did so as the previous generation aged out. As a result, nearly every game has like one established "fine/decent/acceptable" ref and two that are being trained.

Lots and lots of very green refs. Maybe it will be better 5-10 years from now. Maybe it won't.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

Refs indisputably blow calls but the thing is we've also seen what happens when they bring the whole next level up (NFL ref strike) and whoo boy

The exception to this is that MLB umps show a marked improvement in calling strikes as you go younger right now

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They’re humans like us and make mistakes. They make a lot of right calls too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"make up calls" suck rear end though i usually like refs to keep the game moving more than them to get everything perfectly right. replay ftl

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Gravy Boat 2k
ARAB

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Referees may've been ordered to create an artificial parity by making a bunch of strange calls to equalize games. Probably due to all the recently legalized gambling etc.

The standard deviation of SRS this year is 3.52 The lowest it's been since 1984. 2023 has been more like 1950-1970s NBA.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There is definitely a conspiracy against John Calipari and it's really funny unless you're rooting for the team he's coaching for :emo:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

refs are failed cops who just want to be on the tv. Sometimes I think they have ulterior motives but they are so incompetent they probably can't even do that. It's also annoying that there can be such differences in regular season v. playoff reffing. Get it together people.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

refs bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

many people are saying this

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Sometimes I'm not even sure if the ref SAW that, so I ask them if they saw it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The refs in wrestling are some of the worst. but every now and then they are some of the best

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Don't even need refs, let the players police themselves.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

the referee is a bloody wanker

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/SNFonNBC/status/1616174681811292160

NFL referees creating artificial parity or something else?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ohio State gets called for holding like once a season. This is not an exaggeration and not just against specific teams. Like "Ohio State was not called for holding in 2017" level of rarely called for holding. This challenges the basic precepts of blocking.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I just wish they’d call carrying at any level of basketball.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
in addition to every other crime on their rap sheet they can't take jokes either

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1619549589023100935

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I’m cracking up over this edit

https://twitter.com/Mikeyvp/status/1619574129442836481?s=20&t=wbhEn5TzHcdl7kRIFl4mAg

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Lol

And, ethically, not calling fouls for Stockton and Malone was the right call. Todays refs much worse, absolutely couldn’t handle the power of Rodman.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

a linesman elbowed liverpool's andy robertson

clip in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/12gobwc/robertson_gets_elbowed_by_the_linesman/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which league has the least lovely officiating?

I know comparing could be apples and oranges, but I guess it's more which league's officiating drives you the least crazy

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 9, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

pick up games where the players call their own fouls

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

I know comparing could be apples and oranges, but I guess it's more which league's officiating drives you the least crazy

for about ten years it was rugby union refs, especially in the southern hemisphere but they can't get complacent, they've been losing accuracy.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Outrage is a better vector for engagement, as social media has taught us.

The leagues have probably figured out that we're paradoxically more likely to keep watching the worse the refs are because it's the perfect excuse to rationalize in our own minds that our favorite teams are better than their record, and thus we should remain hopeful in their chances. "We" either won fair and square or Got Screwed.

And/or that an equally bad call the other way can get our team Back In It.

Hand in hand with the over-extention of play in games and wild cards. The longer they forestall any given team being mathematically eliminated from post-season (and thus championship) contention, the longer that given team's fan base will retain enough hope to tune in and watch the commercials.

The NFL in particular pretty much can't help but be this way because they tinker with their own rulebook so drat much that there are now so many sub-clauses and situational exceptions that contradict each other and rely on video assistance to legislate properly most of the rules of the sport are now beyond the capacity of the human eye to judge accurately. The more times the technically correct call fails the "eye test" of fans watching the game, the more arbitrary and out of control the game experience feels, and the more people turn to superstition to cope and explain, as humans have done when confronted with the unknown for thousands of years. Just in this case instead of constructing religions to explain phenomena, folks construct conspiracy theories to put their faith in. And maybe if they pray/root hard enough this will be the week the conspirators screw "our" opponent instead of "us"

[that fans are tacitly encouraged to think of their favorite team as a "we/us" with replica jersey sales and "12th/10th/6th/whatever number applies to the sport in question"th man almost certainly exacerbates the phenomenon because now a given fan can take the "screwing" of their team as a personal affront to them, the paying customer.]

BWV posted:

refs are failed cops who just want to be on the tv. Sometimes I think they have ulterior motives but they are so incompetent they probably can't even do that. It's also annoying that there can be such differences in regular season v. playoff reffing. Get it together people.

also this. And rarely is it more apparent than with your average Home Plate Umpire. Really, most of it probably comes down to this factor, despite our most colorful theorycrafting.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
tl;dr version: bad refs don't devalue ad revenue or tv contracts so why spend money on having good refs?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Tennis

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

You cannot be serious.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

It's very rare I have a complaint about ref work in Sumo. They're very good a getting calls right the first time, very good at correcting wrong calls, and they have the unique option of just "calling for a full redo" if something goes odd, or a match is too close to call.

All we need to do is change hockey and basketball to round-robin tournaments of 20 second matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Man, sumo is so good.