Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Kenoh: DO YOU SEE ME NOW, MOTHERFUCKER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Naito having a nice relaxing time out there :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apparently Okada has insisted that a singles match be made between he and Kiyomiya "as soon as possible". gently caress yes.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
ah my favorite submission spot, pretending that you're stuck in the hold of your own making

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

25 minutes!?!?! :stare:

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

5 minutes left? already?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

New candidate for funniest result: time limit draw with Naito pinned.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loved how they both fired up after the 25 minute call.

Lamuella posted:

Oh my Goddddddd :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That 2.999999 :aaa:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lamuella posted:

...or not

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Kelly shadow booking and he's right

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good match, but wish they'd played with the time limit a bit more. Hope we see these two wrestle again.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

DON'T DO IT

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That was really good but the middle of the match was a little dull and there wasn't much to the ending.

Great show overall, all the singles matches delivered and the builds to future clashes were spectacular.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sticky Nate posted:

DON'T DO IT

He didn't!

I feel like if he'd tried, Naito would have pulled away in any case!

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Weird to say in a 27 minute match but that ending came a little too suddenly. Don't think they built to it great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

Weird to say in a 27 minute match but that ending came a little too suddenly. Don't think they built to it great

Yeah when the 25 minute call came and the announces brought up the 30 minute time limit, my mind was racing with the potential, and instead they just went to a (very good) 2 minute sprint with a clean finish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MUTOH! :lol:

Edit: Oh my God, it's gonna be Naito vs. Mutoh! :aaa:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Oh piss off Muto

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

YES

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Of all the "Here is how Naito can still main event the Tokyo Dome" this was NOT the one I expected to win! :lol:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
so do they have a card for the Tokyo Dome show yet apart from that match?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It was funny seeing everyone shuffling out and then all sprinting back in when Muto started speaking.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
I enjoyed the main event a lot, but even my spouse who is The Universe's Biggest Naito fan™ was hoping Kenoh would win. All in All a really good show, and hopefully we'll get some follow up soon with Okada and Kaitoh within a few months. I can't even begin to fathom how you get a satisfying match between them right now because of the politics of the world titles, but I'm really eager to find out.I mean I don't mind time limit draws if the match rules, but I'm old as gently caress and they were pretty common when I started watching wrestling. Don't know how the audience would react to that in the present day though, my sense is they wouldn't be happy.

Fumi had mentioned on his podcast with Jim Valley a month or so back he knew who Mutoh's opponent was going to be at the dome, and the vague hints he gave kind of pointed towards naito in my mind, mainly that it wasn't someone young (compared to Mutoh) and that it was a star. With how much Mutoh has meant to Naito as a wrestling fan himself, really glad he gets to be in the match.

LONGSHOT - is the T-shirt Mutoh was wearing actual merch? Looked like it was an NWO japan style version of him and Chono, anyone know if this is for sale anywhere?

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 21, 2023

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NOAH fans are very used to time limit draws so I don’t think that’ll a problem. I honestly expected one today given how the five big matches were all 30 minute time limits

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My friend is drinking at Natsuki Taiyo’s bar right now and he’s a huge Naito fan so I messaged him about the Muto match, and he replied with

‘Taiyou says “Naito…im so surprised he got this big and became what he is, when I met him at Hamaguchi’s gym he was a quiet nerd”’

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

5,533 for tonight's show. Surprised at the lower than expected number. Lower than last years, and lower than the NJPW/Stardom show. Maybe the companies running Yokohama Arena back to back hurt attendance the show.....thought there weren't that many Noah fans there. Strange.....

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

5,533 for tonight's show. Surprised at the lower than expected number. Lower than last years, and lower than the NJPW/Stardom show. Maybe the companies running Yokohama Arena back to back hurt attendance the show.....thought there weren't that many Noah fans there. Strange.....

Muto was booked on last year’s show and Muta was booked on NJPWxSTARDOM, but neither was booked on this show. There’s the answer

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Muto was booked on last year’s show and Muta was booked on NJPWxSTARDOM, but neither was booked on this show. There’s the answer

Guess we'll see by how tomorrow's show does.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
They may be running into the peak AJW problem where you can only run so many massive inter-promotional shows before burning people out

In my opinion, big inter-promotional shows are always a sign of weakness in the wrestling landscape than of strength

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I didn't know this was a thing and NJPW world's website sucks - can someone please link me to where the show is? I also have wrestle universe if it's somehow on that instead.

Man NJPW doesn't seem to think this show exists, and the OP link doesn't work.

NVM, it's called Wrestle Kingdom 17 for some crazy reason, and it's a PPV additional purchase, never mind.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 21, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It'll be up on Universe with their commentary team next week, but until then yeah it's only ppv for no on World and Abema

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fez_machine posted:

They may be running into the peak AJW problem where you can only run so many massive inter-promotional shows before burning people out

In my opinion, big inter-promotional shows are always a sign of weakness in the wrestling landscape than of strength

Considering stuff like UWFi vs NJPW & NJPW vs UWF are some of the hottest business New Japan have ever done this just seems not true? There's obviously examples of the opposite, and companies are more likely to be open to working together when business is down, but I don't think there's really a correlation.

Inter-promotional stuff is cool and good and business does pick up if people are willing to get egos out of the way. But the fact there will always be a winner & loser means that's pretty much impossible

Anyway, watched the first half of the show & very into this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tadasuke carrying BUSHI to his most interesting singles match since I don't even know when

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Tadasuke carrying BUSHI to his most interesting singles match since I don't even know when

Tadasuke taking the mist but still having the wherewithal to roll with the pin attempt and reverse it was :discourse:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Considering stuff like UWFi vs NJPW & NJPW vs UWF are some of the hottest business New Japan have ever done this just seems not true? There's obviously examples of the opposite, and companies are more likely to be open to working together when business is down, but I don't think there's really a correlation.

Inter-promotional stuff is cool and good and business does pick up if people are willing to get egos out of the way. But the fact there will always be a winner & loser means that's pretty much impossible

Anyway, watched the first half of the show & very into this

You get very hot business out of it yes, but like most junior promotions in an inter-promotional show UWFI was feeling financial pressure and would fold soon afterwards. In a half-decade from that point the NJPW decline started for real. Big frequent interpromotional shows is a leading indicator that the the foundations and core fundamental interest of the wrestling audience is on a shaky ground.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Going to save the main event for tomorrow because I'm verge of falling asleep but this show whips

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I find it very amusing that the highest rated match from this show on Cagematch was the Okada/Kaito tag match with 9.03 out of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

God, Kenoh is the best. Such a perfect angry little dork, while also being a ridiculously violent bastard. No idea why there are people who don't love him.

That 20 minute call & I'm just "huh, what are you talking about?" Also that sell by Kenoh after the Destino kickout was beautiful.

I think Nak vs Tak steals it for MOTN but not by much