Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Still cold in Minnesota how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

No. 6 posted:

Birds aren't as smart as human apes. HTH

which is fine

maybe they won't make our mistakes.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

In the 2003 blockbuster The Core they had to get The Core spinning again by drilling a nuke to the center of the earth's The Core. Aaron Eckhart played the lead The Core scientist. In the end love finds a way.

We should have listened to Aaron Eckhart. He tried to warn us!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbEw6kIGno&t=25s

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I skimmed the article and was mostly surprised they didn't go into the whole pole-flipping thing, which I've definitely seen apocalyptic screeds about.

It's a real thing, and is a valid concern, but as I recall it is not a point-in-time event like an earthquake, for instance.

The Earth's magnetic field is kind of weird - it moves, and there are places where compasses won't work or reverse polarity. There is good long-term research on it thanks to the Royal Navy keeping meticulous records of compass readings from ships at sea, so we actually have a fair amount of data on it going back well over a century.

naem
May 29, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I skimmed the article and was mostly surprised they didn't go into the whole pole-flipping thing, which I've definitely seen apocalyptic screeds about.

It's a real thing, and is a valid concern, but as I recall it is not a point-in-time event like an earthquake, for instance.

The Earth's magnetic field is kind of weird - it moves, and there are places where compasses won't work or reverse polarity. There is good long-term research on it thanks to the Royal Navy keeping meticulous records of compass readings from ships at sea, so we actually have a fair amount of data on it going back well over a century.

reading the words “100 years of compass readings,” I forget sometimes how fast technology has advanced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

"Yi Yang and Xiaodong Song, a pair of researchers at [a Chinese] Lab [...] may affect the global atmosphere circulation and temperature."

yep. not surprised

p sure peking u is one of the most important existing universities, good ol P.U.
getting published in the well known paper mill Nature Geoscience

--

The actual mentions of climate are in the form of one paragraph:

Yi Yang & Xiaodong Song posted:

Interestingly, the same multidecadal periodicity is also well observed in the Earth’s climate system43,44, especially the global mean temperature and sea level rise. An ultimate explanation for the multidecadal climate oscillations is still being sought that includes extraterrestrial origins45. On the other hand, high correlations are also found recently, at zero lag, between global mean temperature and −ΔLOD46 and between global mean sea level and magnetic dipole changes40. In addition, both vertical and horizontal displacements at the Earth surface can be excited by an oscillating inner core and torsional outer-core flows under gravitational coupling47–49. Consequently, the multidecadal periodicity of the climate system might also originate from the oscillating core–mantle system, through the surface deformations and the exchange of angular momentum from the core and mantle to the surface. As such, our finding may imply dynamic interactions between the deepest and shallowest layers of the solid Earth system (Extended Data Fig. 8).

right gonna click the first citation that pops up

Michael E. Schlesinger & Navin Ramankutty posted:

IN addition to the well-known warming of ∼0.5 °C since the middle of the nineteenth century, global-mean surface temperature records1–4display substantial variability on timescales of a century or less. Accurate prediction of future temperature change requires an understanding of the causes of this variability; possibilities include external factors, such as increasing greenhouse-gas concentrations5–7 and anthropogenic sulphate aerosols8–10, and internal factors, both predictable (such as El Niño11) and unpredictable (noise12,13). Here we apply singular spectrum analysis14–20 to four global-mean temperature records1–4, and identify a temperature oscillation with a period of 65–70 years. Singular spectrum analysis of the surface temperature records for 11 geographical regions shows that the 65–70-year oscillation is the statistical result of 50–88-year oscillations for the North Atlantic Ocean and its bounding Northern Hemisphere continents. These oscillations have obscured the greenhouse warming signal in the North Atlantic and North America.

I dunno "These oscillations have obscured the greenhouse warming signal in the North Atlantic and North America" sounds bad. Sounds kinda like the worm's gonna turn when the oscillations stop obscuring things. These other papers seem like they're describing various factors of decade-scale changes or just how the layers inside the earth seem to work and don't comment on climate.

The only one of these that i saw and makes any claims relating to global warming being nbd is by François Gervais, who's other papers seem to be material science stuff like developing new batteries and capacitors. Out of the last ten papers he's been on, this one paper where he describes global warming as nbd is the only one where nobody else has their name on it. Dunno if it means anything or what.