Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So, I'm a dumb babby.

As far as I understand, there's a company like Lincoln Consolidated Steel and Sons Co. Inc.

LCSSCI makes paper clips. It buys a lot of metal, makes it into clips, and sells clips. Money out, money in, and surplus value of labor is collected by the fat cat.

And if LCSSCI sells shares, the money gained from those sales go either into investing into the company or letting the fat cat cash out.

But when those shares are re-sold, the money just goes to the previous owner of the shares, and not LCSSI, right?

So what does it matter if the CEO of LCSSI goes on a gamer-word rampage on Twitter, tanking the share price? How does that impact the business of turning a bunch of metal into a bunch of paperclips? As far as I understand, once the shares are out, nothing that happens to them impacts the ability of company to do things unless the shareholders order the C-levels to cannibalize stuff.

Halp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
The collective value of all shares is what the company is "worth" (aka "market cap"). It matters in the same sense that the value of your house matters...depending on when or if you plan to sell it.

It doesn't affect the overall business necessarily, but it's a good indicator as to what the market thinks the business is worth. The market is often wrong.

For instance, the full market cap (the value of all shares combined) might actually drop below the real assets the business owns (property, inventory etc) so a low share price means you can buy into the company at a discount. A high share price above and beyond a company's assets means shareholders believe the future value of the company is worth buying now.

In short, it doesn't matter to underlying business. A business might capitalize on a low share price by buying back shares and selling them later, but that's more of a byproduct of strategy than an actual strategy itself.

quote:

surplus value of labor is collected by the fat cat.

The labor theory of value is wrong, btw.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The people who own the shares want them to be worth more and they get to vote for who’s on the board of directors.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JcDent posted:

So, I'm a dumb babby.

As far as I understand, there's a company like Lincoln Consolidated Steel and Sons Co. Inc.

LCSSCI makes paper clips. It buys a lot of metal, makes it into clips, and sells clips. Money out, money in, and surplus value of labor is collected by the fat cat.

And if LCSSCI sells shares, the money gained from those sales go either into investing into the company or letting the fat cat cash out.

But when those shares are re-sold, the money just goes to the previous owner of the shares, and not LCSSI, right?

So what does it matter if the CEO of LCSSI goes on a gamer-word rampage on Twitter, tanking the share price? How does that impact the business of turning a bunch of metal into a bunch of paperclips? As far as I understand, once the shares are out, nothing that happens to them impacts the ability of company to do things unless the shareholders order the C-levels to cannibalize stuff.

Halp.

The theory is essentially that by voting for the BoD to oversee the CEO, the owners of the company, the shareholders, have control over management, and thus since management reports to the BoD, they will then act in the interest of the shareholders, i.e. either increasing the value of the shares of the company, owned by shareholders, or else by distributing capital back to the owners of the shares, in the forms of dividends.

In practice there are innumerable problems with this theory. The interests of the BoD and the other shareholders is not perfectly aligned, and even the interests of specific shareholders may differ (some may want to sell shares now, some later). The people who make up boards of directors and management are not entirely indistinct groups. People who serve on boards often serve on other boards, etc..

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
to an investor, share price doesn't really matter. growth of share price is what matters

to an executive, whose compensation is mostly in shares, the price matters more

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If price don't go up I get mad that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Thanks for the answers!