Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episodes 8 and 9 tied for first. Just a great mix of good character work, great filmmaking, fun setting, awesome guest stars, and excellent Charlie stuff (mainly the latter in the last case)

2 definitely my least favourite. I remember barely anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

my #s 1/2/10 were very easy, the rest could all move a little, favorite to least:

8: The Orpheus Syndrome
5: Time of the Monkey
9: Escape from poo poo Mountain
3: The Stall
7: The Future of the Sport
10: The Hook
6: Exit Stage Death
1: Dead Man's Hand
4: Rest in Metal
2: The Night Shift

Time of the Monkey maybe takes the top spot without that kid killing twist for the old lady murderers, but every guest star was killing it in Orpheus and they all got time to interact and develop with Charlie *and* Luis Guzman and Cherry Jones was cute as hell folks. I don't think Escape from poo poo Mountain was all that much stronger than anything below it but seeing JGL as an rear end in a top hat was great and Stephanie Hsu and David Castenada were great

The Night Shift was okay the first watch but it didn't hold me at all on a re-watch, Jed was fine as a dirty psycho creeper but I always wanted more of the other side characters and less of him

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 11, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not a single episode I didn't like but my favorites had to be The Stall, Orpheus, and Exit Stage Death.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Natasha Lyonne is forty‐three.

I don’t know if we’ve gotten anything to suggest that Charlie Cale is older or younger.

ok yah I presumed she was regular-aged (1978~84)

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Actually, was there even an instance of her bullshit detection in this episode? I can't recall one.

You can tell when Charlie's sister says that she and her daughter are doing fine that Charlie has a "bullshit" reaction but holds it in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Worst episode is easily “Exit Stage Death”.

Best? I have to go with “The Night Shift”. Hong Chau is the great as Marge. Colton Ryan slays it as Jed.

The plot lays the format on a little thick with the reveal that Charlie was present the whole time and the sequential lottery codes and Cliff showing up right at the end, but it benefits from being the first regular episode.

“The Orpheus Syndrome” and “Time of the Monkey” tie for second place. They’re each fun and each flawed in their own ways.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved the whole season really but I think The Orpheus Syndrome was the "best" of them all, it really felt like they had the show figured out and everything was firing on all cylinders.

Least favorite episode is next week's.... because there isn't going to be one :negative:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Loved the finale, loved the season overall, a couple of eps that didn't land for me but even those had some great moments. Charlie is just The Best.

Also, I adore how effortlessly cool she looks in the final shot, despite holding a can and standing in front of her clapped out PoS car.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Poker Face: Drinking and Driving is actually very cool.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I liked every episode. Hard to choose a favorite, but I guess my favorite aspect of the show is the humor and the bbq episode made me laugh the most, so I guess I’ll go with that one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
On the next episode of poker face

Lady Gaga guest stars as the one killer who Charlie can’t read

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It is worth re-watching the first episode if you haven't, as it really hits you how well developed they kick things off with Charlie. Just a bunch of brilliant lines, like Adrian Brody trying to lure her in with money only to be met by "been rich, it's less work than being poor, but more work than just getting by".

No point in ranking, this is maybe the most (seemingly) effortlessly confident show I've seen since Reservation Dogs.

Third episode was what clenched that this was something special to me, with a really unique and fun mystery box setup.
Fourth episode had the scene that starts with "oh cool they licensed out a Mountain Goats song, neat" only for the camera to pan to John Darnielle. Who then goes onto to write remorseful murder ballads later in the episode.
Fifth is just a blast, also

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1621204523959357441

Seventh you has a brilliant "not every crime is punished with jail time" ending
Eighth had Nolte, what a gift
Ninth is a nail biting thriller, using our omnisicent knowledge against us, and has consequences at the end! Also, from JGL:

quote:

He explained his approach to portraying Trey, "What are the circumstances that led them to be making these bad choices... with this character, I didn't feel as obligated to find the complexity. In fact, I thought it would be fun to lean into playing a really bad person who just sucked."

...and tenth subverts the shows premise only to bring it back. And has the best comedy cold open.

Just great. 10/10. Best show of the year, probably.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 12, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha, love JGL's reasoning for that character. Sometimes people are just assholes!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Cleared this show in a few days, first ep needs a rewatch as it didn't really draw me into the premise at first, from the second episode onwards I got hooked and it's cool how each episode the murders seem better planned and it would be tricky for Charlie to figure it out but there's always some tiny one more thing that gets em. Could have been done better, like the chips in the boat in the last ep was poorly written and tacked on for time but it's still a good show, better than Russian Doll, and I look forward to second season.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah finding the chips felt like overkill, she should have just figured it out.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Show was good, a few squishy episodes here and there but with an episodic show like this it’s fine. Agreed that eps 8 and 9 were the best ones

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Fourth episode had the scene that starts with "oh cool they licensed out a Mountain Goats song, neat" only for the camera to pan to John Darnielle. Who then goes onto to write remorseful murder ballads later in the episode.

Rian Johnson and John Darnielle are actually friends. Apparently Johnson ordered a Mountain Goats t-shirt when Darnielle's wife was fulfilling those orders. Later on, he and his wife saw Brick, which credited some of the music to the "Hospital Bomber Experience", and when Darnielle saw that, he remarked to his wife that that was a reference to a song of his ("The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton"). His wife said, yes, that guy ordered one of your shirts. So he wrote to Johnson and they struck up a correspondence.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah he wrote this song for The Last Jedi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtmGSJdvavY

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That was a really good season. A couple of the episodes weren't as amazing as the others, but none of them were bad. Definitely the best new show of 2023 so far.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Had more fun watching this show than any I can remember in a while. I will miss having it as a weekly thing to look forward to!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
How in the hell did they not have the drat Hook song in the episode

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I think Lyonne and Johnson mentioned they're happy to make 100 more episodes, and I'm begging them to do that. Make this show for 20 years, minimum.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Rian also directed a live performance film of one of the Mountain Goats albums and a pretty interesting music video for their song Woke Up New which I wish was available online somewhere at more than 144p

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Angepain posted:

Rian also directed a live performance film of one of the Mountain Goats albums and a pretty interesting music video for their song Woke Up New which I wish was available online somewhere at more than 144p

Thanks for the links! Love the mountain goats and didn't realise the close association they had with Rian Johnson.

A total complete aside seeing a youtube video with the upload date being 16 years ago has filled me with an existential dread I was not prepared for today.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Having John Hodgman cameo in the episode John Darnielle was on made me smile at remembering their connection and how Darnielle would appear on Judge John Hodgman as the musical expert witness. Then I remembered the other musical expert witness he used to have on… John Roderick of the Long Winters, otherwise known as Bean Dad.

Glad he didn’t suddenly pop up.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

How in the hell did they not have the drat Hook song in the episode

The rap section is recited in its entirety by Cliff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Confusedslight posted:

A total complete aside seeing a youtube video with the upload date being 16 years ago has filled me with an existential dread I was not prepared for today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQXAC9IVRw

This video will be eighteen years old next month.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I’d love to see Hong Chau next season

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
finally finished this season after the really dire ep 4 and holy poo poo this show owns so much. missteps happen but everything else was pretty fuckin great. looking forward to s2!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
…..the band episode? what?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
You know what they say; no accounting for taste.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Benson reveal in that episode absolutely loving killed me :allears:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Escobarbarian posted:

…..the band episode? what?

i refuse to double check if i miscounted. the old folks home one where the old ladies seemed based until the show decided actually they were killing kids and actually actually calling the cops is based. WHATEVER IT WAS A SINGLE BAD ONE OKAY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

the old ladies seemed based
:frogout:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

they hated her because she told the truth . . .

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rewatching this over the weekend and dang. Second season can't come soon enough.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The old ladies are fun but I definitely can't fault anyone for hating that ep on a political level

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
they hated Rian Johnson because he told them the truth: hippies largely sucked poo poo

Laterite fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

People were mad that at the end of the day Charlie is a cop