Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Latest update: Deathstate

WHAT IS HAPPENING!?
In this thread, supposedly bi-weekly, a roguelite game will be chosen by popular vote and I, roguelite professional Party Bug, will (probably) make as informative a playthrough of it as I can given the time allowed. Generally one video per game, but possibly more if the game is worth showing off.

WHAT IS A ROGUELITE?
Whatever I say it is! In general games that fall into the roguelite genre can (generally) be boiled down to a set of four criteria:

- Composed of procedurally generated content
- Features perma-death
- Focus on non-tile / turn based gameplay
- Is not the game Rogue

Obviously this leaves a lot of room for different genres and types of games, so it's sort of a wide umbrella. Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy are three popular examples of the roguelite genre that everyone is probably aware of. There's some contention on whether these games should be called roguelikes or not, or if some are roguelikes and some are roguelites, or other dumb minutia, but I'm calling everything in here a roguelite.

HOW IT WORKS
Once I've finished the currently game I'll be selecting 3 roguelites from the big list I've compiled. The thread will get to vote on which one is picked. Once a roguelite is selected the following will happen:

- I will make one (or more) videos going as in-depth as I can about that game.

Wow! Generally I'm going to stick to released games of at least middling quality. I might showcase bad games in some fashion, but I'd rather actually play things I don't hate.

HONOR THE ANCESTORS
The previous roguelite threads can be found here:
- Roguelite Thread
- Roguelite Thread: 2nd Run
- Roguelite Thread: One More Run

That's probably over 100 roguelites, think of the value!

SHILLING MY BULLSHIT
If you like me and what I do you can support me by doing the following cool things:
- Posting in this thread.
- Visiting my stream at twitch.tv/pbug (Tuesday / Saturday are my usual streaming days). If you subscribe to me Jeff Bezos will give me 4 dollars.

FINISH YOUR HADES/GWENT/PREY LP
No.

UPDATES
WARM SNOW
VAMPIRE SURVIVORS
BLACK FUTURE 88
DEATHSTATE

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

New year new thread. Please enjoy this fine roguelite.

For roguelite thread veterans: please be aware voting will remain closed for the next video or two while I get rid of the backlog. Then we'll be back to business as usual.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I always enjoy your rogue -like threads.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

racerabbit posted:

I always enjoy your rogue -like threads.

:same:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Glad to see this is back. Is the first video meant to cut abruptly at the end? Since you don't mention it being part 1 anywhere.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the video abruptly cutting on the line "also i think i gave up" is pretty funny though

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

We will never recover from Vampire Survivors.

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

I've got one more video I need to post, but now is a good time to bring back voting. I've got three games here, please let me know which one you'd like to see next.

GODSTRIKE
Godstrike is a twin-stick shooter where time is your health and currency. Face off against ruthless bosses in tense, 1v1 showdowns as Talaal, the last Herald.

PIRATES OUTLAWS
Pirates Outlaws is a roguelike card game in which you navigate dangerous seas and challenge their masters. Your expedition will be full of ambushes and will not be easy. Build your deck and combos to become a reputed pirate.

BLACK FUTURE '88
Black Future ’88 is a Synth-Punk roguelike 2D action Shooter. Vertically climb an always evolving procedural tower to reach the top and kill its insane owner…before your heart explodes. Shoot, slash, dash and upgrade yourself to survive the endless waves of Homicidal AI, Traps & Colossal Wardens.

Voting will close on Sunday at midnight MST.

biosterous posted:

the video abruptly cutting on the line "also i think i gave up" is pretty funny though
I think maybe the last video cut earlier than I planned it to, but it's funnier that way. I wasn't going to clear the whole game anyway, one you've seen the first level you've got the idea.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Slay these pirates that one got away from me.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Pirates Outlaws is a worthy contender but I'm voting Black Future '88 again.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

black future '88 because ~*~aesthetics~*~

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Definitely gotta vote for Slay the SpARRR! again.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
For what it's worth, you can't get evolutions until minute 10 in Vampire Survivors.

Honestly, it's probably better to think of VS as being a better version of idle clickers than it is as being a roguelite. But it's way, way more my speed than even something like Hades, let alone poo poo like Nuclear Throne.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

malkav11 posted:

For what it's worth, you can't get evolutions until minute 10 in Vampire Survivors.

Honestly, it's probably better to think of VS as being a better version of idle clickers than it is as being a roguelite. But it's way, way more my speed than even something like Hades, let alone poo poo like Nuclear Throne.

I also really appreciate the popcorn aspect of VS. Sometimes I'm alright with the "just git gud" philosophy of Real Game roguelikes/roguelites like Hades or Gungeon or Nuclear Throne and other times I just wanna blow off steam and maybe find some new spins on exploding kaleidoscopes of melting monsterscapes.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
RIP

Next up: Black Future 88

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 5, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

there's no sound at all after you say "let's begin" right at the start

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Party Bug posted:

Entering the danger zone to clear out the last of my backlog.

Next up: Black Future 88

The sound completely dies at about the fifteen second mark, and doesn't come back until about 48:50, and only then for a few seconds.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The audio went rogue.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is the content I'm here for.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Top gun sucks anyway.

(My external drive I have all my stuff on is failing and causing a bunch of issues, so I'll have to re-do the video someday. Going to work on not loving up the Black Future one for now.)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NGDBSS posted:

The audio went rogue, like.
FTFY.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

An actual working update (for once (hopefully))

:siren: WHAT NEXT :siren:

Pick a game!

DEATHSTATE
Deathstate is a roguelike bullet hell adventure set in a bizarre world of dimensional exploration. Play as a number of unique characters trying to discover the fate of Professor Elinberg who opened a portal to the void. Are you ready to venture deep into the abyss?

LAWBRINGER
Lawbringer is a fast-paced arena fighting roguelite. Hack, slash and shoot your way through enemy hordes to appease the Autarch. The faster you slay your enemies, the greater His favor. Pick up game changing skills and a variety of weapons. Kill fast, grow strong and cheat death.

POSITRONX
PositronX is a futuristic rogue-lite fps featuring fast-paced combat, creative movement, time control mechanics and breathtaking visuals, each playthrough giving you a unique experience.

Voting ends Sunday at midnight MST.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Deathstate if you aren't worried that it is a Vampire Survivors precursor...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Deathstate is pretty good

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lawbringer looks more interesting, but I gotta give it to Deathstate for that exemplary presentation. Plus I'm tickled by the devs being called Bread Machine. Creative name, great logo.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Black Future seemed pretty interesting, might pick it up myself.

I'll vote for Lawbringer for next time.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The D state.

:siren: NEW GAME :siren:

DEAD CELLS
Dead Cells is a rogue-lite, metroidvania inspired, action-platformer. You'll explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle... assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers in 2D souls-lite combat. No checkpoints. Kill, die, learn, repeat. Regular free content updates!

URAGUN
You are a friendly-but-deadly Mech on a journey searching for your missing pilot in this action-packed roguelite shooter. Choose your missions and rewards, research skills, equip expansions, mod your weapons, install plugins, customize your looks and stylishly cut your way through hordes of evil AI.

POWER CHORD
Power Chord is a rock'n roguelite deck-building game. Assemble Earth's mightiest musicians, battle your way through legions of demons, discover new cards to enhance your instruments of destruction, and take back the city, one dive bar at a time.

Actual good games! Or at least one is!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You can have a little Dead Cells as a treat.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dead cells please!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I was into Deathstate until the whole "if you take too long, something really tough shows up to punish you". Very grumpy at games that do that. I like to be careful and tactical, dammit.

As awesome as Dead Cells is, I gotta put in a contrarian vote for URAGUN, since that looks pretty cool too.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'm also going to vote Uragun as Dead Cells is widely known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

While I've played Dead Cells and would rather see something new, Uragun doesn't seem too interesting, just a twinstick shooter, so Dead Cells it is.