Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, still stuck here. Sucked all the fun right out of this game, thanks dev.

There’s something about the timing on Macaron’s punch that really throws me, it just seems to start up way too quickly. Adding an instant death timer to that is just a recipe for frustration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You should have enough time to wait a couple cycles to time the punch correctly before the lasers can get to you. As long as you don't panic you'll be fine.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, it's just not happening and thats with as many difficulty / accessibility options on as possible. I know theres a 100% save that'd solve this problem but that's obviously got its own drawbacks and if I can do the rest of the game fine, which I suspect is the case, that that just makes this all the more worse.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Even on hard the game gives you enough time to let one pulse go, then hit the second, then finish the run with no issues if you just hold forward.

Your sound system or whatever might be lagging if that's too hard to do, try using headphones or something.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

GrandmaParty posted:

This game is missing only one thing.

A loving song by The Pillows. I would have screamed.

Ohh, drat you for thinking of this. Now I'll just obsess over how perfect Blues Drive Monster would be for this game.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just posting to say I finished this game and it fuckin ruled tremendously. There was a little cheese towards the end but the tracks that come after were awesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
but who doesn't love cheese? I've seen some people compare this to marvel movies in terms of writing and I think that's doing this game a huge disservice. the dialogue and humor can be corny, cheesy, whatever, but only a few lines(the "ugh, you sound like a video game tutorial!") really felt mechanical like a lot of marvel movie writing.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

but who doesn't love cheese? I've seen some people compare this to marvel movies in terms of writing and I think that's doing this game a huge disservice. the dialogue and humor can be corny, cheesy, whatever, but only a few lines(the "ugh, you sound like a video game tutorial!") really felt mechanical like a lot of marvel movie writing.

I was really into the humor and corny of it all for sure. There were even a couple laugh out loud moments for me! I guess the only part I thought was a little much was busting the force field with the power of friendship. Although CNMN still got a laugh in the middle of that even. Even my small cringe at that part was immediately forgotten when you busted out into that The Joy Formidable song. I never heard them before and that whole level just rocked.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are you kidding, that scene ruled! like obviously the concept is hokey as gently caress, but it's super in line with the tone of the game, it symbolizes chai accepting he's part of a team now for real, and the music is an absolute killer for it. and then the followup joke and with CNMN is just perfect.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

are you kidding, that scene ruled! like obviously the concept is hokey as gently caress, but it's super in line with the tone of the game, it symbolizes chai accepting he's part of a team now for real, and the music is an absolute killer for it. and then the followup joke and with CNMN is just perfect.

Alright, I'll hand it to you that I AM a rockstar! got a smile out of me. I definitely don't think it was out of place or anything. Maybe it was the hokey music in that part or something that gave me pause. It certainly wasn't enough to hurt my opinion of the game, it was a blast start to finish for sure.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finished the game and it was great fun but most levels have way too much boring traversal and this really, really becomes apparent when you're replaying them for the challenge doors.

The triple dodge is a good start but if they want this ratio of fighting:traversal there needed to be more and faster ways to do it rhythmically. Also reward scrap for that instead of running around every corner of every room.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 1, 2023

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
You can triple dodge cancel into attack and continue dodging. I think it's faster than dodging and waiting?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm just past the first boss and this game seems really boring and repetitive... does it get more interesting? Running incredibly slowly through hallways, doing some trivial platforming, and then an easy arena fight, then repeat. The boss was interesting and a challenge but nothing else is. It's sure full of charm but the gameplay is boring me to death. Does it ever change to areas where you are traversing and fighting? Areas where I can fit with some verticality?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Very few games in this specific subgenre even attempt attempt what you're asking for, much less do it well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Very few games mix platforming and combat? What?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pretty much every game in the DMC/Clover family tree consists of simple arenas interspersed with varying degrees of braindead traversal - there's rarely any "level design" or genuine three-dimensionality worth mentioning, and the ones that do try to introduce more variation between or during fights tend to get criticised for it (mostly because the diversions or gimmicks are just annoying, but also because the combat is the draw and a lot of people aren't necessary introduced in diluting the combat for the sake of variety or whatever).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah this is a devil may cry/bayonetta/etc style game with rhythm. If you don't like those it probably won't gel with you.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh I see. I haven’t played any of those games so I wasn’t aware of the distinction between them and platformers. I will stop playing. Thanks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I picked this game up and it's monopolised my whole weekend. Love the style.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I wish the game tracked which collectibles you have a little better. I'm missing one life gauge piece and my only way to figure out where it could be is to look through a guide and cross off the ones that look familiar.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

fun fact: there's a life gauge piece missing from the only written collectible guide I could find. Track 8, when you're jumping on the promotional displays near the roof just before the fight where a couple heavy bots break the floor. Just after you punch a green dude across the room and do a magnet jump, look directly down. I think it's just out of range of the radar, even.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah that was one of the very last life gauge pieces I found. That and some hidden one in the rafters on the second level.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have both of those, so that's not a problem.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just finished the story and this is one of my favorite games of all time. Early on I didn’t think I’d go back to do the secrets and stuff but now I definitely will. I’m nowhere near good enough to complete the mural but I’m gonna do as much as I can.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You might be surprised. It's actually not as hard as it might sound to S rank levels, even on the hardest difficulty - if you exit to hideout before your rank for a battle goes away, your checkpoint will still be right before that battle. And bosses have checkpoints between each phase, if you're going for the no damage challenges. I haven't touched Rhythm Tower yet though, that could be a pisser.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I think the main thing is I would need to spend time in the training room actually learning the attacks I bought. My rank was always brought down by a low score because I think I beat the game doing about 98% the original fast attack combo combined with dodges and parries and the other 2% was on accident. I have great rhythm but if I missed a beat hit it’s because I thought I could do a partner hit but was never aware of what my reverb gauge was so about 80% of those failed because I didn’t have enough reverb.

Basically I need to actually git gud.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah yeah having awareness and working different combos into what you're doing are pretty important. For what it's worth, I tend to panic in fights and start just pressing normal attack too, you don't need perfect zen state absolute battlefield knowledge cycling through every combo in your arsenal with perfect intentionality to get an S rank. Doing maybe three different things, being ok at parrying and spamming partners will see you through.

The post postgame challenges are real assholes though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fortunately you don’t need to S-Rank all the Spectra doors in order to 100% the game. Rhythm Tower becomes surprisingly easy once your Just Timing improves and you have a good room-clearing special like Hibiki.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some of that last set of Spectra doors, you're S ranking them by default because otherwise you're just not beating them.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Recently finished my first playthrough and this has also quickly become one of my favorite games. The whole thing’s just such a joy. The presentation's delightful, combat's hype as hell, and the characters (and parry patterns) live rent-free in my head. God I love this bunch of goobers. Especially my poor idiot guitar boy.

Dabir posted:

You might be surprised. It's actually not as hard as it might sound to S rank levels, even on the hardest difficulty - if you exit to hideout before your rank for a battle goes away, your checkpoint will still be right before that battle. And bosses have checkpoints between each phase, if you're going for the no damage challenges. I haven't touched Rhythm Tower yet though, that could be a pisser.

Apparently toggling streamer mode also resets you to the last checkpoint, and is faster than going back to the hideout. It's made getting the no-hit achievements for the mural way smoother.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Huh, neat.

Tip for Mimosa on Rhythm Master: If you load a checkpoint, your rhythm gauge starts at C. On her third phase, Mimosa immediately fires off Equalizer Wave and locks you in a box with not much to hit, so it's really hard not to drop to D rank and die. Just parry the blast that activates the attack. She won't try it again.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There's a live talk in 3-ish hours by John Johanas (the game's director) on what prototyping Hi-Fi Rush was like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0oGNrfVCEE

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Finished the game. Really enjoyed it but I should have played on a higher difficulty. I played on Normal, which was mostly challenging enough for me (I'm bad at the game) but it's too forgiving with the important QTEs like boss finishes. It took the sheen off the victory when I fumbled the end quite badly but still won.

The soundtrack's a good playlist for the gym

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dabir posted:

Huh, neat.

Tip for Mimosa on Rhythm Master: If you load a checkpoint, your rhythm gauge starts at C. On her third phase, Mimosa immediately fires off Equalizer Wave and locks you in a box with not much to hit, so it's really hard not to drop to D rank and die. Just parry the blast that activates the attack. She won't try it again.

I think you can dash around to keep your rank steady until she sends out the waves to attack you, which you can then parry to raise your meter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:aaa:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Update with two new game modes, costumes and more! Coming July 5th!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1dU394xpvU