Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jimlit posted:

I work in web development:

• In every quarterly meeting, without fail, the ceo of our company will say "i drive an hour and a half to the office and my wife is totally fine with it" as a reason everyone shouldn't work from home.
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its considered rude to follow up asking how many pool boys they have on staff.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

My boss came in with sweatpants one day. :patriot:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I make maps for a living, mostly working with engineers and the like. It's very chill when it's not crunch time. (Peroids of late spring, late fall)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I work for a large non-profit research company. The overall structure of our organizaton is hard for me to explain, but I am in a program that does survey research (public health mostly).

The culture is a lot like liberal academics. In fact it's a lot like a university except our administrators aren't terrible education admini and we still have to do plenty of corporate nonsense.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Incredibly toxic. I work from home

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I am the boss of four young engineers but fortunately since we live in the godless liberal northeast of the US they're all either nice enough not to have hateful opinions or are at least smart enough to not say them out loud

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Imagine a bunch of academic engineers in a production environment, and your job is to get them to stop playing at being scientists and designing the perfect part, and just making something that works.

That's my workplace.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I’m a Director for a DevOps Consultant. Most of my day is unblocking my engineers from doing their work, and approving time off requests. I try my best not to interfere in the day to day. I was an engineer before this and had some awful bosses.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I am a high school English teacher and it should be a really awesome job but for some reason it sucks!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Since covid and an office remodel basically no one comes into the office except for a few teams scattered around the building. My team has to have people in every day since we're computer janitors but our boss set up a rotation so we all work from home twice a week and no one but him has to come into the office both Mondays and Fridays.

My actual team:
- We have a bunch of Nerf guns and two putting greens in out semi-enclosed area and a cornhole setup just outside it.
- We have a TV with a Chromecast and among other things have watched Shark Week during the day.
- The Facilities people let us have a mini fridge and a microwave in our area. They also just recently gave us a toaster.
- The cafeteria workers will give us free pizza if we come down at just the right time. One dude has squeaky shoes and they will scream for him to come take the pizza if they hear him in the hall.
- My boss gets a kick out of throwing stress balls at us to get our attention.
- Since I started there in 2019, we've had the best metrics of every other computer janitor team in our company - most tickets closed, quickest time to close, etc. To the point that our boss has had to give presentations to other manager on "How he does it" (Hint, he mostly just lets us do our thing).

The company itself:
- The paybands got hosed up and they've been slow to adjust for things like inflation and market rates.
- The other computer janitor teams are just dog poo poo to the point that sometimes mangers in other locations reach out to us because they think we'll fix them faster.
- How the company manages issuing computers to users is dogshit and involved a 3rd party company that routinely sent completely dead machines to new hires. That's finally getting fixed.
- I'm pretty sure most managers aren't even checking for pulses when interviewing job openings.
Some of the people hired are... Just the grossest. Laptops covered in what might be Keyboard Goop. Bedbugs crawling out from under the keys....
- A stockholder with a big enough stake got the CEO to step down because he sucked. Then actually got him to be completely shitcanned instead of the token board position he was going to have.
- It looks like four years after they bought the company I started with, we're getting spun off as an independent company again.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Since covid and an office remodel basically no one comes into the office except for a few teams scattered around the building. My team has to have people in every day since we're computer janitors but our boss set up a rotation so we all work from home twice a week and no one but him has to come into the office both Mondays and Fridays.

My actual team:
- We have a bunch of Nerf guns and two putting greens in out semi-enclosed area and a cornhole setup just outside it.
- We have a TV with a Chromecast and among other things have watched Shark Week during the day.
- The Facilities people let us have a mini fridge and a microwave in our area. They also just recently gave us a toaster.
- The cafeteria workers will give us free pizza if we come down at just the right time. One dude has squeaky shoes and they will scream for him to come take the pizza if they hear him in the hall.
- My boss gets a kick out of throwing stress balls at us to get our attention.
- Since I started there in 2019, we've had the best metrics of every other computer janitor team in our company - most tickets closed, quickest time to close, etc. To the point that our boss has had to give presentations to other manager on "How he does it" (Hint, he mostly just lets us do our thing).

The company itself:
- The paybands got hosed up and they've been slow to adjust for things like inflation and market rates.
- The other computer janitor teams are just dog poo poo to the point that sometimes mangers in other locations reach out to us because they think we'll fix them faster.
- How the company manages issuing computers to users is dogshit and involved a 3rd party company that routinely sent completely dead machines to new hires. That's finally getting fixed.
- I'm pretty sure most managers aren't even checking for pulses when interviewing job openings.
Some of the people hired are... Just the grossest. Laptops covered in what might be Keyboard Goop. Bedbugs crawling out from under the keys....
- A stockholder with a big enough stake got the CEO to step down because he sucked. Then actually got him to be completely shitcanned instead of the token board position he was going to have.
- It looks like four years after they bought the company I started with, we're getting spun off as an independent company again.

how much does being a computer janitor that doesn't really know what he's doing but knows how to search forums for answers pay these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

how much does being a computer janitor that doesn't really know what he's doing but knows how to search forums for answers pay these days?

It's all right, but could definitely be better.