Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I've had this uploaded all week and things have been weird enough that I never got around to posting it.

This episode would be good stream material because we spend most of the time dealing with side issues rather than tackling the story of the game. The Wakako interaction is interesting because a number of games like this don't let you just meet your contacts so openly. I also call her Wakau (loving Hepburn spellings, I don't loving know) multiple times, forgetting the last syllable because I've been re-listening to the audiobook of Shogun and oddly enough, her name is a single sound from the Japanese word used to describe people who would scour the coast between Japan and China in order to capture trade ships ("Pirate" being too simple a term) in like the 1500's.

Let me explain the build I have going as of this episode: We are going knife heavy for a while with a shotgun backup. That's not ideal in the world of Cyberpunk because you can't always close the gap on an enemy without taking wicked damage. Putting points towards stealth options is one thing, but toughening V up for some head to head encounters is going to be a priority, thus the focus on armor totals. I don't fully understand armor in this game, it's not like shields in other FPS titles where it regenerates over time, but seems to be a disposable stat of any piece of gear. I would love a detailed explanation, but armor takes up a small part of the HUD when it is in effect compared to health, and you have near infinite health items to work with. Armor is basically a luxury.

One thing we'll be looking for going forward is the total damage from any item. Having OK regular damage is one thing, but having Damage Over Time and/or bonus damage numbers will be a consideration. I lose a knife thrown for up to 10 seconds, I want to maximize that throw, which may be as impactful as a sniper rifle round. If I get some Damage over time or some extra toxic/electric/heat damage I'm all for it. I'll totally accept a gun that has lower per-hit damage but comes with an incredibly high chance to inflict thermal damage. In this game it just makes sense as you can distract enemies from attacking by hitting a status effect. That helps in both one-on-one fights and massive brawls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I've had this loaded for over a week and have the next episode ready to go, I just keep getting distracted.

I think most episodes are going to end up like this. Some of the missions are shorter conversations that lead you to other stuff, others are long enough that they'll take multiple videos to get through. When I know it's going to be short I'll try and get a couple side quests in and do some open world stuff. Dropping random criminals is pretty fun most of the time and I get easily distracted by the opportunity to do some shooting.

I didn't mess around with it much before my test run before starting this LP, but throwing knives is actually really fun and a good way to open up a fight. You may get a stealth kill right off the bat if you get a headshot, and if you don't the person you hit will have taken a good amount of damage and will go down pretty quickly. I just wish the throw came with some sort of arc projection so I'm not wondering how much higher I need to aim when throwing because it feels like it is wildly variable from throw to throw. It also feels like the thrown objects drop like a brick past like 30 feet and it makes it difficult to eyeball how good any potential throw will be. I'll probably be putting some resources into improving knives over time because inflicting status effects with a thrown weapon seems to be more likely than if you shoot someone and doing that kind of damage over time can down someone you only injured without you having to do anything.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

"Pirate" being too simple a term

Actually a lot of the concept of "pirate" as opposed to "bunch of assholes who assault ships at sea to steal stuff and aren't fundamentally different from people doing assault on land to steal stuff" has a highly specific historical origin in the West, and it may be the same in East Asia at the time. After a stint of existence pretty close to the modern pirate in the Roman Mediterranean, it disappears as the Med becomes contested. Assault at sea keeps existing, of course, but it shifts to definitions closer to banditry on land, in addition, there's compensation boards and metrics and stuff according to claims and reports filed by the victims and paid in fines levied by courts according to effectively civil litigation and also through taxes on naval trade, piracy reemerges as proper and complete state control comes back in the West and states seek to assert themselves as owners of the sea, it's not the theft and murder, it's the violation of sovereignty. Also the central courts get absolutely loving mad, bugfuck insane about it, for example the Paris Court starts hallucinating hundreds of cases a year, entirely new forms of piracy (such as habour pilots deliberately getting a ship to ram rocks and sink, or lighting fires as fake signals to get ships to ram rocks, or many, many other things) which in practice a good rummage in the archives turns up two actual cases in the history of the Kingdom of France. Then, frothingly mad, they declare the newly christened pirates outlaws and such and strip them of all civil rights (such as, huh, right to a trial, or hearings about evidence, or all sorts of things) and that's where you get the modern pirates where they get suspended human rights for historical reasons.

I suspect nobody at the time had that conception of pirate for the Wakou pirates, if I remember correctly, they were effectively a number of state powers, got hired by other states on occasion and eventually, if memory serves, got bought back in regular state control.

This had nothing to do with the LP and was entirely about how hostis humani generis was the result of lawyers who had never seen the sea working themselves into a nice and frothy rage.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 14, 2023

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I´ve played this game for a while and I have to say that the amount of times that V happily slots some unknown chip straight into his/her brain without a second thought is deeply concerning. How badly can spiked shard mess you up in the Cyberpunk setting and how do you ensure that the stuff you shove into your port is actually ok?

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 15, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They are plot devices that can instantly kill you, if not with malware then simply by being physically booby trapped, it's not even viewed as an uncommon thing.

Nobody seems to take this into account.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's like picking up a random usb stick and plugging it into your head, at best it's gonna be malware, at worst it's gonna be something like an USBKill that just fuckin' fries you directly.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I quite literally had the links ready to go for this last Thursday, had a bunch of bullshit come up and completely forgot I didn't post it. Things have been hectic.

Cyberpsychos are like mini-missions/bosses that you can encounter in the overworld that you are supposed to knock out for Regina. You always have the option of shooting them with regular guns or using a bladed weapon instead, but in a city where cred matters, you are better off trying to figure out how to take them down with minimal harm. The psychos, in turn, don't really have any compunctions about letting you down gently and will shoot to kill. Some of the fights are difficult no matter what level you are, but if you pay attention to the danger level you can usually be sure that you'll win.

I generally like the way things like the psychos and smaller contained missions are done: they essentially all have custom built locations you wouldn't think to approach unless directed that way. They essentially function like dungeons or caves in other games where, yeah, you can show up there before and after the mission, but you won't see anything interesting. Throw in a boss with some potentially interesting loot and suddenly it has a reason to exist in the overworld. Unlike Skyrim or some other CRPGs that point out landmarks to you and put a pin on your map to draw you away with something that may be potentially worth your time, 2077 wants you moving along and only sends you suggestions when there's a real reason to go somewhere. I've picked up more useful weapons from missions and NCPD events than I have looting random crates near the docks. It's too bad I'm unable to stay on task and just move things along, though.

There will probably be a few videos like this (and the next one, really) where I'm essentially gearing up and collecting money. At the point I hit this past weekend I'm 10.5 hours into the playthrough and don't have the money for a better cyber implant or Gorilla Arms or any of the fun stuff. I don't even have a car right now. I'm also way behind on where I want to be in recording the game as it stands, we're still so incredibly early it hurts and haven't even done some of the more fun side content. I have every intention of buckling down over the weekend and getting six or seven episodes recorded (in addition to the one I'm editing and the one processing now) so things can get back on the rails and I can finish this LP some time before I start collecting Social Security.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I'm sitting there realizing I am way behind on uploading episodes again and go to put the three I recorded up from this past weekend only to find that I had not posted this one despite uploading it the same day as episode 10. This new job is taking so much time out of my day I didn't realize yesterday was Thursday until someone mentioned how they were taking a half day to play the new Zelda game today. The good news is that I have a backlog again, so I plan on posting something tomorrow as well in addition to recording more and trying to be consistent enough to get three videos running per week.

There's a lot to say about what happens here. The trip to Clouds is one of those early game things that I think can surprise people because the interaction with the doll of choice is a lot deeper into V's character than pretty much any conversation up to that point and, of course if you go a bit beyond where I ended things you get the game's first gratuitous sex scene. I debated going through with it for completion's sake, but I'm trying to actually play V as a character and she's about two things: status and getting her head fixed. Money helps with both of those, upgrades let her take on bigger jobs and Evelyn may be able to tell her what she needs to know to get unfucked.

I've also, when possible, been going non-lethal with my takedowns. Unless V has a specific reason to want you dead (like if you want her dead) she's not going to go out of her way to build a body count. She's going to be killing a lot of people no matter what, so why put even more on the pile needlessly?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So normally, you can just have a nice conversation here and walk out, no problems. That is, if you get the right files. I missed that, thinking the game was glitched (it was, but not in that way) and I had what I needed and then ended up in the situation we see here. I can't say it's an overall bad thing because the 2077 missions are like 90% talking and ten percent doing things, so we tilted it a little bit towards 70-30 by loving up. V the Corpo is going to look to keep her hands clean and use leverage where possible, but this time she just didn't have it. If you like the combat in the game, the next episode is chock full of it, so get ready.

It was shortly after this that I realized that the Evelyne stuff in this game, from the heist to the conclusion we'll get in some time would be a game unto itself in a lot of cases. It's something like a 12 hour quest all told. You would need to flesh a bunch of stuff out and probably change it so V was hitting a few different environments if you put it as a more traditional corridor shooter, but it would absolutely work if you did the right things. Make the ending a long gauntlet against all of Arasaka and give the player a semblance of choice at the end and you are most of the way to a competent campaign mode. The thing with 2077 is that there is not only a bunch of side content, but a lot of stuff that branches off the central storyline that a less ambitious studio would just excise to keep the narrative more focused. Whether it works for this game is a question the viewer and player need to answer, but I like having the opportunity to experience a little of Night City's weirdness and violence around every corner and just wander the streets looking for my next opportunity to make a buck, it's half the fun of open world games.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm sorry this thread is moving incredibly slowly. My spouse and I have been watching every episode!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When I hear about a Mister Hands, I don't think about the fixer, but hey it's 2077 maybe they don't remember.

tme
Dec 15, 2008
Alright, so instead of playing the game again for the umpteenth time, I'll rather watch Lazy play a completely different combat style. That makes it interesting. Thanks for the LP so far!

Edit: With regards to the camera deactivation: The first skill level disabled cameras only for 3 minutes, with the second skill point spent this increases to 6 minutes. I've been down the same road, always wondering why the cameras were back on, until I read the skill. In newer playthroughs, I skip the skill, because my sneaky playstyle needs much more time than 6 minutes.

tme fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 8, 2023

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I can't tell you how excited I am about my upcoming Italian vacation. Also, we're back for the LP.

This video was recorded in, I kid you not, May. I don't want to spend to long doing the woe is me act here, but my work life was completely hosed shortly after I recorded this and the next video. I legit didn't play this game for months despite loving the world the game is built around. Everything in the next two videos is pre Cyberpunk 2.0 and it shows. We can talk about it more as things/EPs come out, but the game really changed completely from what it was at the time of this recording. Thankfully, these two videos are character instead of combat focused, meaning we can process the story without having to deal with the character's skills or abilities. The hope is that I'll drop a couple more episodes in the next week and then move towards completing the LP after that. The game is so expansive and now has DLC, so that could be a while.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So your save survived the update ordeal? That's nice. I personally wish the braindance stuff could have been a lot shorter, just takes a very, very, very long time for what it is.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

I can't tell you how excited I am about my upcoming Italian vacation. Also, we're back for the LP.

This video was recorded in, I kid you not, May. I don't want to spend to long doing the woe is me act here, but my work life was completely hosed shortly after I recorded this and the next video. I legit didn't play this game for months despite loving the world the game is built around. Everything in the next two videos is pre Cyberpunk 2.0 and it shows. We can talk about it more as things/EPs come out, but the game really changed completely from what it was at the time of this recording. Thankfully, these two videos are character instead of combat focused, meaning we can process the story without having to deal with the character's skills or abilities. The hope is that I'll drop a couple more episodes in the next week and then move towards completing the LP after that. The game is so expansive and now has DLC, so that could be a while.

As someone that also had work kick my rear end these last few months, I fully understand you.

tme
Dec 15, 2008
Yay, Lazyfire is back, and Cyberpunk will resume!

Although my video views are not counted, I will continue to follow this LP. Will you be doing the expansion as well, maybe weave it in?

Edit: Forget me, you already mentioned it in the video.

tme fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2023

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This game fucks harder than Johnny and I'm 100% here for the LP. :suspense:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

From here the story sort of branches out a bit and the next two episodes are kind of me ignoring that and taking care of some cleanup things while getting back into the saddle. I would have felt bad if I left it on a story hook like this or started a mission and then disappeared for three weeks, again. When I start up again after that it should be fairly smooth sailing for the rest of the year. I was hoping to do a lot more of the story to keep that moving along and maybe spinning the Phantom Liberty stuff into a different thread at some point instead of detouring into that too deeply here. I have to think about the approach. Maybe having one of my other characters go do the DLC would make more sense for now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

You don't want to see what digits look like with this font I'm using, so I'm going to keep abbreviating the EP or PT of each video. Cyberpunk 2.1 changed a ton of stuff. You get to learn how that works as I do because I read all the literature on the updates and watched videos and was STILL NOT ABLE TO COMPREHEND WHAT WAS HAPPENING. I'm stupid excited for the rest of this playthrough, even if we only hit the story points because the character is built to be an Assassin's Creed protagonist in a world where you want full frontal assaults. Stealth is nice, but the reality is that might makes right in most situations. Later in the game the throwing knife tactic I use here is a handicap rather than the one hit kill it presents itself as in these videos. I am semi-committed to this run being as weird as possible, though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
PL changed up pretty much everything and I'm not a fan of all the changes, but for the most part it's very good. There are mods for your throwing weapons that do stuff like remove drop so those'll come in handy for you. They added a few new weapons and as you saw overhauled the cyberware system. Now enemies can drop cyberware capacity shards that'll increase the amount of stuff you can equip so keep an eye out for those. Couple new guns too.

The DLC is massive content; adds an entire new area, questline, even another ending if you choose to go that way. There are also some new iconic weapons that are hella fun and a few new cars. You can go in pretty early but I'd recommend putting it off for awhile if for no other reason than the intro mission is really long and there are some fights in it that can be a real bitch.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please stop jerking and waving the camera around like you're pointing a mouse cursor, it's nauseating. Use a gamepad if you have to.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Please stop jerking and waving the camera around like you're pointing a mouse cursor, it's nauseating. Use a gamepad if you have to.

Suck my entire dick and balls. It's been tested so I can promise the sperm count will be zero so you won't accidentally experience enriching content. I'm waving the mouse cursor around because I'm using A MOUSE. Not to set you off, but there's a keyboard on my desktop as well. What the gently caress is this comment even?

SubponticatePoster posted:

PL changed up pretty much everything and I'm not a fan of all the changes, but for the most part it's very good. There are mods for your throwing weapons that do stuff like remove drop so those'll come in handy for you. They added a few new weapons and as you saw overhauled the cyberware system. Now enemies can drop cyberware capacity shards that'll increase the amount of stuff you can equip so keep an eye out for those. Couple new guns too.

The DLC is massive content; adds an entire new area, questline, even another ending if you choose to go that way. There are also some new iconic weapons that are hella fun and a few new cars. You can go in pretty early but I'd recommend putting it off for awhile if for no other reason than the intro mission is really long and there are some fights in it that can be a real bitch.

I've realized I need to do the DLC to do the game now, which is both good and bad because Johnny has different dialog depending on if you do the DLC vs. not. There's also a loving tomahawk in the DLC I absolutely NEED for the rest of the game. I may break out the DLC stuff to a different thread for all eight people watching. It was nine, but GrandTheftAutism is very likely not going to appreciate the response above.

I literally got back into the country last night and someone threw a brick through my front window an hour ago. poo poo may be delayed beyond what I was expecting.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

Suck my entire dick and balls. It's been tested so I can promise the sperm count will be zero so you won't accidentally experience enriching content. I'm waving the mouse cursor around because I'm using A MOUSE. Not to set you off, but there's a keyboard on my desktop as well. What the gently caress is this comment even?

I assume they're being very aggressive about their motion sickness for some reason? :shrug:

Lazyfire posted:

I literally got back into the country last night and someone threw a brick through my front window an hour ago. poo poo may be delayed beyond what I was expecting.

Oof, I hope everything is all right.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Koorisch posted:

I assume they're being very aggressive about their motion sickness for some reason? :shrug:

Oof, I hope everything is all right.

I can understand some of that, but it's a weird statement. It wasn't even a request.

I'll admit to an overreaction because I had opened this thread for the first time in three weeks about a minute before I heard a crash and my wife scream downstairs. Thankfully neither her or my dogs were hurt, just shocked that someone would pull a brick from our neighbor's pathway and toss it through our living room window with multiple witnesses and someone clearly playing a game on the TV. As best we can tell it was someone who is experiencing a mental health crisis (our neighbors have a video where she slammed on their door and screamed something and my wife says it sounds identical to what she heard after the glass broke), so I have a tough time assigning any sort of malice to this particular action. I mean, she may have seen me move my mouse around too much and decided to do something about it, but I doubt that was the case.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyfire posted:

I can understand some of that, but it's a weird statement. It wasn't even a request.

It actually was a request, but whatever, I'm used to being misunderstood.

Lazyfire posted:

I'm waving the mouse cursor around because I'm using A MOUSE.

In a manner conducive to motion sickness, dumbass. If you're going to LP a CRPG, don't wave the loving game camera around like you're at a rave. Use your mouse in smoother, gentler motions.

Lazyfire posted:

Suck my entire dick and balls.

What's the matter, choom? Your output disconnect on you?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In this video I finally put everything together and get myself some much needed cyberware in addition to checking in on a few things. I've already recorded the next four videos and they are all story as I try to get things moving on the DLC. One thing I'll say during those videos and something I should mention now is that this game is oddly fun to play, especially with the knife throwing build I have now. It's oddly satisfying to nail someone in the head from a distance with a knife, even if the kills are a little less stealth than you would think. Sometimes enemies just notice stuff or decide they have 360 degree vision if someone gets killed or grabbed and it's weird.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Wow, you have a ton of tier 1 and 2 crafting mats. You could probably get a decent amount of high tier materials if you wanted to.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

First thing's first, I uploaded this video three different times and for some reason YouTube will not go to 1080 on it. Native resolution be damned. That was a large part of the delay on posting this week.

We're about to get into a whole sequence of story missions once the next episode finishes, to the point where I was contemplating just removing my commentary from up to three videos. In the end that became a moot point because I didn't check to see if my "streamer safe" option was still in place and...yeah, YouTube will let you show just torsos bobbing around as you walk through them, but they have an issue with genitals.

I really love the idea of people essentially taking over a space and making it their own once authorities abandon the area. It reminds me a lot of street markets and merchant squares that build informally but become institutions and communities over time. Having something like that in a few areas of Night City makes it feel sort of lived in the way Skyrim, as an example, failed to make their villages and cities feel like people could live there. Something about the setting lends itself to feeling like as hardscrabble as things can be, people are still going to search for community and some of that may be religion, as we see early in the video, and some of it may be based on economic ties based on cultural shared experiences. The Voodoo Boys are a gang, sure, but they are intertwined with the community and try to keep people relatively safe in ways that an official authority like the NCPD just can't accept. When the Animals show up on their turf they can't call the cops and they can't send their own people in to start a gang war that will harm innocents, so they send an agent like V in to resolve the conflict. It won't be bloodless, obviously, but it will keep the Animals from attacking defenseless people living in Pacifica if some unaffiliated solo shows up and ruins their plans. Really, sending in V is a brilliant move for the Voodoo Boys, everyone gets something out of this.

The dog will interrupt videos in the future, by the way. She's young and doesn't understand the idea of a closed door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Lazyfire posted:

The dog will interrupt videos in the future, by the way. She's young and doesn't understand the idea of a closed door.

Have you considered politely inviting her in and giving her co-commentator credit? I think she'd like that!