Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Directed by Ernest Dickerson
Released 1995

Greetings Something Awful forums GHOSTERS. It is I, CPLHELL593H and once again I've been pulled from my grave by our MONSTERATOR to present to you the movie of the Month for FebruSCARY. I call this terror tale Demon Knight.

When Tales From the Crypt went from cable to the movies it differed from the tv show in that it was based on an original SCREAMPLAY rather than being sourced from one of EC Comics DIEconic horror and crime comics. But fans of the show will be happy to know that it keeps the same vibe as the show. It's an all around fun movie. The premise is pretty simple. The titular Demon Knight is being pursued by a mysterious "collector" out to steal an ages old artifact from him. What results in a class siege movie in the tradition of Night of the Living Dead and Assault on Precinct 13.

The cast is a great who's who of character actors. Among them you have KILLIAM Sadler, Billy INSANE, CCH COFFIN NAIL Pounder, Dick DRILLER, and of course Jada SKINKING PIT. It also has an early appearance for Thomas HAUNTED Church before his greater recognition from his collaboration with director Alexander PAIN. Billy INSANE in particularly shines here and its one of those performances where you can tell the actor was having an absolute ball. He's something like an evil Bugs Bunny and for him alone this is worth watching.

The creature designs are really cool. I don't have much to say, they're just cool and you'll see for yourselves. The movie is pretty obviliously of lower budget but the GHOULS making it really poured their BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS into the production and it shows. The CREATURE suit actors did this creepy swaying thing when they were standing still that's just a neat little detail and kind of unsettling. If you like gloopy movie monsters you'll love this. Find it on SCREAMING or purchase it on BOO-RAY!

Previous movies of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I know what I'm watching this weekend!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I haven’t watched this in CAGES. Thanks for reminding me to give it another go with your wonderful REBOO.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Hell yeah, I've been meaning to rewatch this for a while anyway.

RailtraceR30
Feb 10, 2023

meirl staring down the deadline of my lifeline.
My man Billy Zane off the goddamned chain in this flick. Watched it for Hoop-Tober back in 2019, and that poo poo slaps, my dudes! Zane has been underappreciated for the most part and really only remembered by the crowds for TITANIC of all things, which don't get me wrong, I love him in that too. But he has such a panache and swagger as The Collector. He makes a sponge look frisky! Easiest blu ray purchase of my life.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This movie fucks

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The sponge uncurling from Billy Zane’s mouth followed by his little eyebrow thrusts is cinematic perfection.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watched it today still incredible, an absolute hoot

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hey man nice shot

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I had a ratty old movie theater poster of this on my wall from age 10 until college, sandwiched between Leprechaun 3 and Bloodstone: Subspecies 2.

Instant classic, and absolutely iconic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O hell yeah I'm down to gently caress with some Demon Knight.

God I miss Tales from the Crypt.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darthemed posted:

Hey man nice shot

That song, along with the realization that DK stars the guy who karate beat up John McLane, let me know I was in for a good time. Going to rewatch this over the weekend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm watching this right now and it loving rules.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hollismason posted:

I'm watching this right now and it loving rules.

Billy Zane deserved better

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This movie has an all around great cast but Billy Zane is clearly the centerpiece of the whole thing. So it's no wonder that of the movies he's worked on this is his favorite. It's a shame he just kind of fizzled out in the 90s. I really love when someone brings their A game to a genre film and just goes hogwild.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CPL593H posted:

This movie has an all around great cast but Billy Zane is clearly the centerpiece of the whole thing. So it's no wonder that of the movies he's worked on this is his favorite. It's a shame he just kind of fizzled out in the 90s. I really love when someone brings their A game to a genre film and just goes hogwild.

I really enjoy this and The Phantom (from the odd era where everybody was trying any comic book character... as they weren't a popular character) for my Zane double-shot. He plays hammy demon and pulp hero with equal aplomb.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men
Great write up! I always felt like Demon Knight was a hidden gem most people have never heard of. This is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time (only third after Evil Dead and Dead Alive). I ithink I first saw it when I was 9 and had a huge impact on my love of horror. Also a huge fan of the original comics and HBO series. The whole cast is great, but Billy Zane does a lot of heavy lifting with his scenes.
I remeber being so enamored with the visual effects and demon creatures. Seems like this was towards the end of the practical effect era and stands the test of time like The Thing. I also absolutely love the final scene where she seals the door to the bus and the demon was like naw I'll wait for the next one. So clever and corny.
Now I just need to figure out if my 9 year old is ready to see this one. He watched The Thing and loved it, but recently noped out of Occult...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I really enjoy this and The Phantom (from the odd era where everybody was trying any comic book character... as they weren't a popular character) for my Zane double-shot. He plays hammy demon and pulp hero with equal aplomb.

It's too bad the whole golden age comics/noir superhero thing from the 90s didn't catch on. Those movies have a certain vibe to them that their more modern based counterparts lack. The acting styles and production design for sure anyway. Treat Williams also has some great scene chewing in the Phantom. Since DC is all about multiverses and having like three different Batmans at once we should get a Batman movie that's set in and captures the 1940s comics.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 19, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Goddamn do i love this movie.

Suck on this uncle Willy!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://youtu.be/QyAHC5CeHy0

One of the greatest line reads in cinema history

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lumbermouth posted:

https://youtu.be/QyAHC5CeHy0

One of the greatest line reads in cinema history

The follow up "You're not worth the flesh you're printed on" has stuck with me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Just finished watching this, it holds up even better than I remember. So many fantastic and goopy effects, it came out at the perfect time because a few years later and this would’ve been half lovely CGI (lookin at you, Bones).

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
My coworker never saw Demon Knight so I fired it up in the break room and totally forgot the opening with the big titty girl in the bath, woooopsie!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Oh I guess today is also Billy Zane's birthday.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lmao

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time so I'm glad I found out at the last minute that this was the February movie of the month. Growing up, I watched the TV edit my family had taped on VHS constantly. Yes they cut out a shitload of stuff to make it TV friendly, and all the jokes I never saw as a kid make me laugh every time I see it now ("Get that pussy off the table!" etc). This is Billy Zane's best performance imho. The rest of the cast is just great too. I just have a great time watching this every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh man, I wish I had seen this thread sooner. My wife grew up outside the US and for years thought that this movie was more well-known stateside than it actually is, on account of her after school care having a VHS copy while she was growing up. When she finally brought it up I had absolutely no idea what the movie was, but we managed to find it streaming somewhere and I can confirm that it kicks rear end. I should track it down again when Halloween rolls around.