Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

ological aging get sped up too?

I watch enough space/science YouTube to keep hearing about how time works differently when you’re traveling really fast in space or really far or something and each time I try to have to explained to me, it never connects. And I’ve watched a few popular YouTube videos explaining how it works but it still makes 0 sense to me.

I trust GBS goons will be able to help me out and explain why a person in a rocket going really fast apparently ages faster/slower compared to the people on earth. Also is it possible to have someone go fast enough that they age slow enough to time warp into the future and only be a month older and the world 100 years in the future?

Physics get real weird when things are really big or really small. I don't know the science to explain it to you nor does anyone on this site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

The thought experiment with the moving cart did the trick for me. All you really need is a little pythagoras to do the math.

One of the weird things about relativity is that as you go faster your mass also increases. So for a hypothetical engine with a fixed power output, it would have an upper speed limit that it wouldn't be able to exceed, simply because it would have to push on an ever increasing mass. I think it stems from the good ol' E=MC^2 formula.

in conclusion if Sonic ever goes too fast he'd collapse under his own mass and turn into a black hole

1amp = 1lb x 0.(C^2)